iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Variable speed lathe.

Started by tyb525, September 20, 2008, 04:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

I want to make my lathe variable speed - Right now it just has pulleys for 4 speeds.
Could I get a variable motor speed controller, and replace the on/off switch what that? The motor is  about 1 hp on 220. Do you have to have a special motor for variable speed?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SwampDonkey

A pulley in which the throat opens and closes on the drive motor with a lever is how it is usually done on a lathe.

This link should take you to a post of my lathe setup. Fla._Deadheader was getting a lathe rigged up.

Reina's New Toy
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thedeeredude

tyb525

Thanks for the reply guys, I think I'm gonna go with the adjustable pulley method. But I can't seem to find any online suppliers of them. Does anyone know of a good place to buy adjustable pulleys online?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

low_48

I had a Delta with adjustable pulley. Hated it. It was noisy and didn't have a great range of speed. You can see the arrangement on this link.

http://www.mikestools.com/download/Delta-Parts-Lists/46-541-Variable-Speed-12-Inch-Wood-Lathes-WL3C.pdf

You can probably pick up one of these for what the parts will cost.

tyb525

Yes, I realize it won't be as quiet or have as wide range of speed as a motor speed controller. But I think my motor is capacitor start, and it's not 3 phase 220, just regular 220, so I don't think I can use one. And the ones I've seen are in the hundreds range - more than half what I got the lathe for.

SwampDonkey

I've never complained about using the pulley. Have turned pedestals and table legs and bed spools just fine. Only thing I wish for is a reversible lathe for when sanding the open grained or softer woods.  :D But, for the few times i use it out of a year I can't complain. I am only in the shop during winter months. Nice and cozy with a little wood fire going in the stove.  I'm starting to get the urge to design the next project. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tyb525

Yes, reverse would be nice. I suppose if there was any noise/vibration from an audjustable pulley it might be cause the belt is too tight, or the wrong size/type of belt?

HOOF-ER

Anyone give thought to using DC motor. I was thinking about a golf cart motor,or something similar. Should be easy to get varible speed with lots of power. What do you guys think?
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

low_48

A treadmill provides the perfect DC motor and controller.

tyb525

That sounds like it could work, just gotta get the DC supply. I don't know how many rpm's golf cart motors turn, or if they are any different from general purpose motors?

HOOF-ER

I was wondering if the charger/transformer could run the golf cart motor on its own. The treadmill idea is good too. I was thinking that they were only about a 1hp?
Are there bigger one out there?
I mostly was wanting something to turn bowls, bigger is better. ;D  A very heavy spindle on a very heavy table should do the trick.

tyb525

My lathe has the power, just not that big of a swing. Max diameter is about 9"  :(. I could turn outboard, if I had a backwards-threaded faceplate. I would think 1 hp would be good enough, unless they were really big bowls and you were taking heavy cuts.

I don't know if the charger would put out enough juice to run the motor. Picture trying to constantly turn over a car on a battery charger, only on a smaller scale. (I think that's the right example). You might be able to find a bigger version of the AC to DC adapters like you plug into a wall for electronics and such.

HOOF-ER

Well then the simple solution would be the treadmill. All the components are there. Just have to strip them out and wha-lha, power for the lathe. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!