iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Traditions

Started by scgargoyle, November 23, 2007, 01:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scgargoyle

Funny, we have a habit of thinking that traditions are something our grandparents are in charge of. I just realized yesterday as I was cutting up a pumpkin for the pie, that my wife and I have been doing Thanksgiving cooking for over 25 years! I'm in charge of the turkey, bread, pies, and a few other odds and ends, she does the rest. Now- before anyone calls me a girlie-man for doing half the cooking- I do grille my turkey, so there's smoke and fire and DanGer involved. And the loaf of bread is 4-1/2 pounds, almost as big as the turkey! I've been making pies from scratch for about 40 years! So- I guess we have a tradition started, and there aren't even any grandkids on the horizon. Anyone realize lately that they have a tradition going? I'm too young to have traditions.... :D :D :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

metalspinner

My wife called me out on a "tradition" yesterday.  I guess each Thanksgiving, I can't find the turkey stand for the turkey frier.  Happens every year she says. ::)  I'll spend a good 30 minutes digging around all the lower cabinets looking for it. :-\
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

ScottAR

No teasing from me...  I like cooking, mostly because I like eating.

Hard to do one without the other first. 

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

brdmkr

We have some thanksgiving traditions that we started ourself.  We always have chocolate gravy and biscuits for breakfast and I take my son deer hunting.  We have only been doing this for about 3 years, but my son won't let us forget.  I like it that way.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

sgtmaconga

Well i have to confess. i do all the cooking at my house. i've been a cook for years and even get asked every year to do something for my departments christmas party.
Measure twice cut once

sawdust

I am the family designated turkey carver. Bought my own carving knife cause all my relates have dull farm impliments and expect that should work just fine.

I am also the Christmas dessert maker.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Faron

Every Thanksgiving morning we gather and trek to a Christmas tree farm and pick out our trees.  I traditionally complain that it is way too early to be putting up a tree, and am by tradition overruled. :D  The grandkids have a ball.  We have Thanksgiving dinner when we get back home.

Here are eight of our nine grandkids.  Number nine was present, but was too wrapped up in the carrying thing to get him out for a picture.

I always check out this clearcut on our way in.  There is some fine timber in the making there now.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Norm

Now that's a good looking bunch of Grandkids Faron, you're a lucky man. :)

We have one similar to yours. Patty goes out and buys the biggest tree on the lot to decorate. Our job is to find some way to get it through the door. It usually takes a couple of running starts but we manage to make it through. :D

metalspinner

Norm,
Try opening the door first next year. :D :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

sawguy21

:D :D :D Somebody had to say that. Faron, that was one of our favorite family traditions too only we waited until the week before Christmas. Family friends had a woodlot and we would spend a couple of hours scoping out the perfect tree which we, well mostly dad,  cut and dragged back to the pickup. Our hosts had coffee and hot chocolate ready at the farm house. Great memories.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don_Papenburg

Norm that new tractor will make that tradition a piece of cake next year.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!