iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well that's going to leave a mark.

Started by DR_Buck, December 30, 2019, 07:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

It actually didn't leave a visible mark but I am currently hard down.    This evening as I was finishing up resawing some beams for a customer and my debarker  ... just fell off.   :o      I hadn't even used it today.  It was just hanging out there out of my way.  Then while dragging a board back it just dropped off.    It looks like the pin that the assembly pivots on is broke in half.   It was getting dark so tomorrow I'll take a closer look but it appears the pin is welded in place to the support arm that holds the debarker.    I've sent Marty Parsons an email and some photos and I will follow up with him in the morning to figure this out.    I'm just glad I was milling at home and not out on a portable job.  

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

KenMac

That's an odd thing to happen!! Will warranty cover repairs? :-\
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Southside

Is that something along the lines of a 1"+ steel rod that sheared off? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GAB

Could you post pictures of the failure point on all pieces involved?
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

DR_Buck

Quote from: GAB on December 30, 2019, 07:45:57 PM
GAB
This is a close up of the swing arm that holds the debarker.  The round gray area is the broken shaft/pin.

This is a close up of where the shaft/pin is supposed to be attached.   It broke off up inside the assembly and dropped out.

Oliver05262

In picture number 2 I can see the beach marks. Probably a nick or a weld stress in the pin started the failure.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

charles mann

can you not just disconnect the cannon plug and continue mission? 
it looks as is it was a fresh brake, no signs of corrosion, indicating a crack prior to failure. as if it literally just broke for no apparent reason. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Magicman

I wonder if that arm wasn't swinging freely (binding) and causing the circuit breaker problem?  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DR_Buck

Quote from: Magicman on December 31, 2019, 08:17:35 AM
I wonder if that arm wasn't swinging freely (binding) and causing the circuit breaker problem?  
It seamed to move OK.  I greased it and  I could push it out of the way when changing blades.

Stephen1

I broke mine there in the 1st month I had the mill. My mistake, I was putting the head in it's travelling position and forgot to swing the debarker into position, i dropped it onto the support leg. I was sent the next revision  debarker arm. I installed it and still found the debarker does not swing quite enough to saw those big ugly logs, it was 1" inside the outside bearing so I could only saw 31" wide. I have now got rid of the "V" that controls the swing of the debarker, I can swing it all the way past and actually saw close to the 34". I can also swing the debarker to 180 degree to change the blades.
I used to swear at that debarker every time I wanted to change the blade or try to squeeze by a bump.
 I also now move the saw head to the far end to change blades and am able to swing the debarker all the way out. Just have to be carefull that I don't swing it 360 degree as the wiring starts to wind up. ::)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Rhodemont

Good thing you were not using it when it fell off.  That would have really left a mark with the blades turning.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

DR_Buck

Good News.    I'm not the first to have this happen.   It's covered by warranty.  8)   And, the new, revised part is on order.    

Quote from: Stephen1 on December 31, 2019, 10:12:17 AM
I broke mine there in the 1st month I had the mill. My mistake, I was putting the head in it's travelling position and forgot to swing the debarker into position, i dropped it onto the support leg. I was sent the next revision  debarker arm. I installed it and still found the debarker does not swing quite enough to saw those big ugly logs, it was 1" inside the outside bearing so I could only saw 31" wide. I have now got rid of the "V" that controls the swing of the debarker, I can swing it all the way past and actually saw close to the 34". I can also swing the debarker to 180 degree to change the blades.
I used to swear at that debarker every time I wanted to change the blade or try to squeeze by a bump.
I also now move the saw head to the far end to change blades and am able to swing the debarker all the way out. Just have to be carefull that I don't swing it 360 degree as the wiring starts to wind up. ::)
I know what you mean about the "V" but I've not had the need to saw at 32" yet.   I have been changing blades at the far end of the mill for some time and compared to the old non-wide version of the debarker it is some what of a PAIN to work around.    I've banged my head a few times.    ::)

GAB

Quote from: DR_Buck on December 30, 2019, 07:55:32 PM
Quote from: GAB on December 30, 2019, 07:45:57 PM
GAB
This is a close up of the swing arm that holds the debarker.  The round gray area is the broken shaft/pin.

This is a close up of where the shaft/pin is supposed to be attached.   It broke off up inside the assembly and dropped out.

Thanks for the pictures.
Can you tell if that was a machined pin or was it a cast or forged part.
The last part I saw that looked like that was a poor quality forging.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!