iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 462???

Started by FloridaMike, May 23, 2018, 12:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

I heard the MS381 is being discontinued in Australia and the new MS382 won't be replacing it.
Something about Australia having a new emissions clean air legislation and the 382 is not clean enough?
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Lockwood

HolmenTree I think you could be right theres no mention of the 362 in the Australian catalogue and the 361 says while stocks last ,makes one wonder how emissions  can be so different  on chainsaws.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Lockwood on August 05, 2018, 02:45:36 AM
HolmenTree I think you could be right theres no mention of the 362 in the Australian catalogue and the 361 says while stocks last ,makes one wonder how emissions  can be so different  on chainsaws.
Lockwood, I think your auto correct may have spelled 361-362 for you :D
I heard lots of good reviews about the MS381 from Australia...we can"t get them here in North America. Last model here was the 038Magnum.
But I was impressed with the new MS382 design. Just won't meet our emissions regulations.
But that may change, as Trump is talking about cuts to the California clean air act. :)

ehp

No one seems to want to talk about the 462 up here or in the States at that forestry show I went to but they did tell me there is lots and I mean lots of 461 still at the factory , guess they want to sell those first

HolmenTree

So I have a photo here from Stihl South Africa of a MS462. No C-M.
As the pic shows H & L adjustment holes in the air box housing.

HolmenTree

teakwood

that doesn't mean that the non M tronic will also be available in America. 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ButchC

Quote from: ehp on August 25, 2018, 12:05:26 AM
No one seems to want to talk about the 462 up here or in the States at that forestry show I went to but they did tell me there is lots and I mean lots of 461 still at the factory , guess they want to sell those first
I tired of waiting and bought a 461,  I like it so well that I have forgotten about the 462 and dang near forgot that I own a 660.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

JJinAK

I was in the same boat.  I really, REALLY wanted the 462- based on all that I was reading about it, but then I just got tired of waiting.  I was a little disappointed that I couldn't even get a ballpark answer on when it might be available.  I bought a 461 instead, and I absolutely love that saw.  I figure now I'll just wait for MS500i.......
MS461
MS362

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on September 28, 2018, 08:07:58 AM
that doesn't mean that the non M tronic will also be available in America.
Yeah probably won't alright but you may get it available in Costa Rica ;)

teakwood

No way, the importer (and there is just one for the whole country, so it's a monopole) just sell about half of the stihl models and the 70cc segment is already covered by the cheaper and clumsier MS382 which is made in brazil. So i would need to special order one. I did asked the dealer to import me one but he has lost interest because the main importer never gave him a price. It's Costa Rica, you're lucky if you get a half decent customer service.

and i sure would want to try the M-Tronic version.

Willard: Will there be a difference in the powerband within the 2 models? M-tronic or not. shouldn't the Tronic model be faster accelerating and more powerfull with less fuel consumption?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on September 29, 2018, 08:39:30 AM
Willard: Will there be a difference in the powerband within the 2 models? M-tronic or not. shouldn't the Tronic model be faster accelerating and more powerfull with less fuel consumption?
In factory stock form the CM model will definitely have the best overall performing powerband keeping it precise in all daily conditions.
But from what I have seen so far with the MS462 (non CM) is it is available in Africa and Russia with Siberia.
This tells me these 2 locations have a severe weather climate with hot temps with high humidity and on the opposite scale severe cold temperatures down into minus 30 below and beyond.
So the manual carb settings definitely would have an advantage to work a 8 hour day 5 days a week in these conditions.
I wouldn't be surprised if Canada gets the 2 versions also. :)

ehp

I hope so and I will be getting a carb model if possible

Builtbybross

If you want one there is a guy on eBay (Stihl_21) that is selling them for right around $1,000. Non cm, mine should be here late December according to the tracking number.

ODPS

Anyone had any luck getting a Shop Manual or IPL for the MS 462?

Thank You Sponsors!