iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mill shaking

Started by bushhog920, May 24, 2010, 12:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushhog920

I have a norwood mark 3 15hp and it has a problem of shaking side to side,  worse with hardwoods. i sharpen and set my own blades with a cooks sharpener to 10deg. and use simmons 1 1/4 X 7/8 . i know it is a light duty mill and thought of beefing up the frame some but before i do that any ideas on how the settle it down? would changing the hook angle to less help?

paul case

mine is not a norwood but it will shake some if i try to feed it too fast on too big a log. could be you are using too mch angle on the teeth for hardwoods. most use 7 at the most some even recomend 4. depends on what you are cutting.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

Bushhog,is your mill supported its whole legnth sometimes the center of the mill that carries the most weight will settle and be left unsupported allowing movement.Anouther thing be sure one or two teeth are not overset,that will cause movement as they come around.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

MartyParsons

Check the mill alignment. After you take a cut do not lift the saw head. Will the blade scrape the sawdust off the cant? If not check the alignment.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

ladylake

If it does it with a new blade it might be time to beef up the frame, on my last saw job they were describing the same thing about thier nieghbors Norwood.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sawwood

We have a Norwood mark 4 and on large logs we git the shaking if feeding to fas and have to
stop some time. Also we find that the center suports are loose and it helps some after we tighen
it up. We have a mixbag of blades and that might be some of the trouble. Going to try some of
the WM 7 deg blade soon.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

nas

I had the same problem with my Norwood but only when I cut dry oak timbers.  I heard of someone who put bracing cables with turnbuckles from corner to corner at the top of the frame.  Said that helped.
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

pineywoods

Too much hook angle and or too many teeth per inch. I sharpen blades for a neighbor with a norwood. We've played around with various blade configurations. 1 inch tooth spacing and low tooth angles seem to work best. Tried a couple of blades with 15* hook. It shook like a wet dog, even in small pine logs.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Tom

trash beneath the band wheel tires will make the head shake too.  You got v-belts for tires?

Thank You Sponsors!