iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cookie question ?

Started by dustyhat, May 29, 2018, 10:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andries

I got a request from a client for 30 cookies for a nephew's wedding.
Bark on, 16 to 18" in diameter and 2" thick.
He's given me most of my milling work in the past 6 years.

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

'No problem' was my answer.
Winter cut bur oak will keep the bark on - mostly.
Cut the cookies a few days before the wedding. A Stihl 660 with a 36" bar.
Not nearly as kicka** as yellowhammer's demonstration, but then I don't work in front of a crowd.
The most difficult part?  The "just in time delivery" was the biggest challenge.
What is it about weddings that brings out the hyper in people?  :o 

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

The client was the hero at the wedding.
The cookies looked nice and got a lot of compliments for him.
I'm still getting a ton of work from the same client.
My price? "No charge"
What you send 'round, comes 'round.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Andries on July 06, 2018, 12:15:33 AM

The client was the hero at the wedding.
The cookies looked nice and got a lot of compliments for him.
I'm still getting a ton of work from the same client.
My price? "No charge"
What you send 'round, comes 'round.
Man he must have really done some eye batting and hair tossing. Maybe even showed some serious ankle skin. :D :D :D

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

I guess being tall makes you more handsome ::)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

dustyhat

Well im sorry guys, but i did it again, Diversifying and doing custom work may bankrupt me, O well. She was a modern day Pocahontas i mean black hair dark skin and o them big brown eyes. i had that tune Chester sings from gun-smoke stuck in my head the rest of the day , you know (shes got them big eyes ) . She puts her arm around me and says show me how that stuff works ,and then drove off with a stack of ceder closet panels for ten bucks. i think word on the street is ( im easy ).lol. 

alan gage

Quote from: dustyhat on July 06, 2018, 04:36:57 PM
 She was a modern day Pocahontas i mean black hair dark skin and o them big brown eyes. She puts her arm around me and says show me how that stuff works ,and then drove off with a stack of ceder closet panels for ten bucks. i think word on the street is ( im easy ).lol.
There are worse problems to have.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: WDH on July 06, 2018, 06:39:57 AM
I guess being tall makes you more handsome ::).  
Danny,

Who said he was tall? That is a 12" bar on that toy chainsaw and that log end can't be over 16" :D

I did not saw or make any cookies today but did stack some stuff and went ahead and made me 2 cookie boxes using about 10' of 1X12 poplar and some 7/16" walnut from a trim cut. I got about 60 medium to small cookies in the 2 boxes. Maybe I need to make matching boxes for each type of cookie I cut.

Probably should have made 3 boxes instead of 2 big ones. These are almost heavy.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 06, 2018, 07:58:06 PM
Danny,

Who said he was tall?
Oh, he is tall.  Poston measured him at 5' 22" tall :D.  He is the guy in the back in this pic......

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Must bump his head a lot. :D
Howard Green

ellmoe

Quote from: WDH on July 06, 2018, 08:40:43 PM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 06, 2018, 07:58:06 PM
Danny,

Who said he was tall?
Oh, he is tall.  Poston measured him at 5' 22" tall :D.  He is the guy in the back in this pic......

So, you mean he's  " 5' something ".  ;D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Thank You Sponsors!