iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newfoundland is being over run by an over population of Moose.

Started by SwampDonkey, April 20, 2011, 11:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Parks Canada is planning to cull moose in two of Newfoundland and Labrador's national parks in order to save the region's trees, which are being damaged by the animals.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2010/01/07/nl-moose-cull-107.html

========================================================

Across Newfoundland, moose are everywhere on the highways, in the suburbs, in the forests. They're threatening drivers, neighbourhoods ... even ecosystems. It's estimated there are between 120,000 and 150,000 moose on the island. That's more moose per square inch than anywhere else in the world.

http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/2011/04/18/newfoundland-moose-cull/index.html

========================================================
Victims of moose crashes sue N.L. government

"Wildlife practices of the defendant have allowed the moose population on the Island to reach numbers in the range of 120,000 to 200,000 ... multiplying the danger of moose collisions for users of the highways," says a statement of claim filed Monday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2011/01/11/nl-moose-suit-111.html
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Magicman

Even with those large numbers, it's very expensive for non-residents to hunt them.  I thought about it until I ran the numbers $$$.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Autocar

I hunted moose and caribou there sometime 1998 and never seen a moose  :D It was in November and the rutt was over ,there wasn't any timber just some kind of scrubby pine that would be a half mile wide by a mile long it was like looking for a needle in a hay stack  ;D The folks up there were some of the nicest people Ive ever meet in Canada
Bill

SwampDonkey

Sounds like up around Labrador City, not the Island. I've been on the island and it wasn't scrub, but it's not huge west coast trees neither.  Wasn't hard to find a moose. Just head to the watering holes and marshes like you was looking for gators. ;)

Here at the house, they scat in the darn yard. ::) Not where I mow and stuff, just down in the old barnyard grass and around the brush and trees where they eat. They have been mostly in the woods though so far this spring.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ernie

They could always ship them down here, it is now assumed that from the original importation of Canadian moose many years ago, there are none left although rumours do persist of sightings.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3735058/Photo-may-show-moose-not-seen-in-50-years
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

SwampDonkey

Nope, not any moose I've seen. But there is EurAsian Moose and they look pretty much like ours to.  ;)

WH_Conley

Bill

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WH_Conley on April 20, 2011, 11:03:44 PM
How bad do those numbers run MM?

You have to get a non resident moose license through an outfitter with guides and proof you have met requirements of hunter's education. So I'm guessing costs can vary.

http://www.env.gov.nl.ca/env/wildlife/hunting/nonres.html

Magicman

Quote from: WH_Conley on April 20, 2011, 11:03:44 PM
How bad do those numbers run MM? 
It was really more than just the outfitter cost.  If I could have gotten 2-3 other folks together to share traveling expenses it might would have worked.  I have emails and pictures from hunters that have gone and all were successful.

Outfitters tend to protect the bulls with palmated antlers and generally charge a "trophy" fee to go after those guys.  A lot of the pictures that I saw were of bulls with really spikes.  My neighbor went a couple of times and that is what he got.

I talked with this outfitter, Mr. Patey, on the phone and also with folks that hunted with him.  He seemed like a top notch guy.

http://www.biggameoutfitting.com/
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

D Hagens

Hey I have an idea 8) 8) 8)
Outside our back door the carnival stores the rides and trucks

Noticed the mural on one of the trucks while driving in today 8) 8)

Do you think this might make the Government clue in to what to do with the moose and also make a few bucks to throw back to Canada :D :D :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!