iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sthil 034 hard to pull the cord

Started by chevytoo, January 01, 2019, 10:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chevytoo

My /Sthil 034 is very difficult to start. It is like there is too much compression. If I drop start it I can pull it through 1 compression stroke. It very often kicks back and pulls the starter rope back in. I have had the cylinder off. There is no carbon build up and all looks like new. The key on the flywheel is in place and not sheered. The starter rope looks in good condition. The engine turns over very nicely with the spark plug removed. When I do get it started it runs beautifully and idles very smoothly. A compression check shows 120 lbs. It is difficult to get a compression reading as I can pull it over only 1 compression stroke at a time. I am thinking to replace the piston rings. Anyone with ideas?

welderskelter

Have you ever shortened the pull rope? If there is a chance to put on a longer rope it will make the center of pull bigger and should help. (Hope I used the right words there.I have a 038 that I just bought and I have the same problem. My neighbor yanks it over easy enough. I think it also has a short rope.

chevytoo

Inaotherlife

Sounds like it's hydraulicing. Oil in the cylinder.

Is the plug wet, oily?

moodnacreek

When my old Stihl's sit they get hard to pull and I don't know why.

chevytoo

It is not a hydraulic lock. That was my first thought

Al_Smith

If the center of the rope drum becomes worn it can cause the engagement to run off center,eccentric .I've had this happen and made  a brass bushing to solve the problem because repair parts were hard to find .That should not be a problem however for an 034 Stihl .Might be it,might not .

Al_Smith

It might be of interest to know the 036 is just about the same as an 034 and uses 2 starter pawl while the 034 only shows one . I have no idea why ,just Stihl being Stihl I guess .However it would make sense two oppossing pawls would put less side stress on the rope pulley than one .

mike_belben

I am with AL, i bet the starter is adding the resistance. 
Praise The Lord

Al_Smith

It should be simple enough to figure out. Remove the starter cover and roll the engine over with the flywheel .-----leave the ignition off now unless you want a surprise .

chevytoo

I found out what was wrong. I took the saw to a Sthil expert and he said there is nothing wrong. The only problem is I am not 40 years old anymore. He showed me how to hold the saw so I could pull the cord more easily. This saw has no compression release so if I want a saw that is easier to start I must purchase a new one.

lxskllr

Quote from: chevytoo on January 02, 2019, 06:52:26 PM
 The only problem is I am not 40 years old anymore.
That can't be it. He's just trying to sell you a new saw  ;^)

Al_Smith

What--I'm nearly 71 and I can pull over an 084 Stihl, 2100 Husqvarna etc etc .BTW they all have D-handles .Sometimes a guy needs a little help  ;)

chevytoo

No he did not try to sell me a new saw. I am 76 and have noticed that I cannot do things as easily as I used to. He showed me to cradle the saw between my legs below the knee and pull the cord. I can't pull it as easily as he could but at least I can pull it

Al_Smith

Ahem ,buy a D-handle from a 460 Stihl rescue saw.Put the saw on the ground foot in handle,pull .If it makes you feel any better I pulled a shoulder muscle about 4-5 weeks ago trying to start a Stihl MS 200t in a tree .In the position I was in the only safe way to pull it over was about shoulder height .my mistake .I'm not 40 either . :D

HolmenTree

Lots of people take the "safety book" pull start procedure too seriously with the rear handle wedged between their legs. Very poor ergonomics to get a full pull on the starter rope.

Just put the chain brake on and drop start the saw downwards with the left hand and pull upwards on the starter handle  with the right hand.

If that's too hard just do what's recommended for decades , saw on the ground, right foot in or on top of rear handle and pull that rope.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

Well for me ,a little saw like a Stihl 200T it's a drop .Larger more often on the ground  than not.I don't need show tough I am by dropping a 100 plus cc saw .< that's just plain stupid . :D

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 02, 2019, 11:30:58 PM
Well for me ,a little saw like a Stihl 200T it's a drop .Larger more often on the ground  than not.I don't need show tough I am by dropping a 100 plus cc saw .< that's just plain stupid . :D
But you can go half ways and no problem drop start a 70cc saw right Al? ;D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

mike_belben

At 76 i hope i can still pull up my pants and that it isnt over a diaper.  If youve got the moxie to run a saw, more power to ya bud.
Praise The Lord

Air Lad

You're doin great for a man of you're age
A 56  cc  older saw has some weight
The newer saws may have as much grunt in a smaller/more user friendly set up to get the job done for you
All the best mate

Al_Smith

Quote from: mike_belben on January 02, 2019, 11:46:49 PM
At 76 i hope i can still pull up my pants and that it isnt over a diaper.  If youve got the moxie to run a saw, more power to ya bud.
I can still pull them up but my butt fell off and now it takes a pair of braces to hold them up .Good heavens,6 feet tall ,210 pounds size 46 jacket and 33 waist and a bony behind and no beer belly .

hedgerow

Quote from: chevytoo on January 02, 2019, 06:52:26 PM
I found out what was wrong. I took the saw to a Sthil expert and he said there is nothing wrong. The only problem is I am not 40 years old anymore. He showed me how to hold the saw so I could pull the cord more easily. This saw has no compression release so if I want a saw that is easier to start I must purchase a new one.
I just sold a Solo 694 for that very reason of not having a compression release. I have been starting saws on the ground for years. My shoulders don't like holding them and starting. I have one guy that helps me in his early 50's that will still hold the saw and start it. 

Al_Smith

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 02, 2019, 11:39:06 PM
Quote from: Al_Smith on January 02, 2019, 11:30:58 PM
Well for me ,a little saw like a Stihl 200T it's a drop .Larger more often on the ground  than not.I don't need show tough I am by dropping a 100 plus cc saw .< that's just plain stupid . :D
But you can go half ways and no problem drop start a 70cc saw right Al? ;D
To a point but I usually do not .The last time I dropped one which was a 70 cc Mac it climbed the rope and nearly got me . :o

chevytoo

I got my 034 started today with great difficulty. I have decided to investigate trading it in for an MS362. I see it is about the same power and weight as the 034 but with a compression release. I look at the huge bruise on my left thumb from the 034 kicking back and flinging the pull cord handle on to my thumb. The old saw still runs well when I can get it started and cuts great, but!

Don P

I put an aftermarket cast aluminum side cover/starter on my 034 and it does work better than oem. I'm thinking, you know how that goes, the rebuild jug/piston kits for it which makes it an 038 can carry a compression release but it might take some work?

Thank You Sponsors!