iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

flat or drop

Started by JAMES G, December 09, 2007, 09:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAMES G

well its sunday over here and that means chicken and dumplings. My favorite is drop dumplings.Have a good recipe but always looking to improve, so does anyone have a mouth watering recipe?

sawguy21

This should be interesting. What are 'drop' dumplings?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DWM II

Drops are when you make your dough but dont roll it. You take a spoon full and "drop" it into your boiling gravy. Thats my favorite as well, the dumplings actually cook inside and resemble a small bisquite (sp) in texture when cooked.

I cook pretty regular, but my wife is the chicken and dumplin cooker so I dont have a reciepe :-\
Stewardship Counts!

Tom

I'll take thin "wet" dumplings anyday.  Biscuits on the side, thankyou.  :D

Furby

Ah, a new dimension! :)
Can you explain a little how the thin wet ones are made Tom?
It sounds like something I had once, that I've yet been able to figure out how to make.

Tom

Furby, I'm not full of recipes, though I savor those that I recorded from my Grandmother.  Paula Deen, on the Food Network, has become a spokes person for a lot of the "down home" recipes with which most of us are familiar. Here is her Chicken and Dumpling Recipe for rolled/wet dumplings.

Furby

Mmm, thanks Tom I'll have to try that one! :)
I haven't had supper yet and you just made me DanG hungry!
Don't have the stuff in the house to try that one right now though. :-\

Roxie

I make the flat, wet ones in my Chicken Pot Pie, but I don't use water.  I just use chicken broth and flour and cut them about 2" x 2".  The top crust of the pot pie is made the same way. 

I like the drop dumplings in home made vegetable soup.   :)
Say when

thecfarm

Paula dean seeems like the type of women that you walk into her house and she'll sit you down with a big plate of food in front of you.My wife will watch her cook.Seems like quite the lady.The drop dumplings are all I ever had.My Mother would drop them into a soup.They was some good and filling too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Carries-Mom

Doesn't Paula Deen have a recipe for that???  She seems to have real good recipes, especially for pork loin....YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!

limbrat

I like them flat. 6 or 5 squirrels, or a nutera, or a couple of ducks,2 doven doves or what ever critter will fit in the pot. Boil it till its done kill the fire pull it from the pot let it cool and pick all the meat off it. Skim all the solids off the top of the pot. Put the meat back in the pot add a cut up onion a little salt and a lot of black pepper. Turn the pot back on while rolling the bisket dough cut it into strips and add it to the boiling pot one or two strips at a time. When your out of dough turn the fire down for a half hour the extra flour on the strips of dough will thicken the rest of the stock. Its good fresh and better the next day.
thats how i like it any how.
ben

Weekend_Sawyer

I like drop because that's how Mom made chicken and dumplings.
I like flat because that's how Aunt Debbie made them.

Ya see how I got this big?

Whats a Nutrea taste like?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

limbrat

like a fat wild rabbit would taste if wild rabbits got fat.
ben

Weekend_Sawyer

Mmmmm that would go good with dumplings!

DWM II

QuoteBiscuits on the side, thankyou.  :D

Why, that goes with anything Tom. 8) ;D
Stewardship Counts!

CHARLIE

I call drop dumplings "floaters" and the rolled out dumplings "sinkers".  Grandmama made the "sinkers" and I'm partial to them. They are heavier and chewier. I truly miss them 'cause Donna cooks "floaters" and won't cook a "sinker" cause she doesn't like them. I do love Chicken and Dumplin's though.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Weekend_Sawyer

I have some leftover turkey from the holidays in the freezer.
Think I'll make some turkey and dumplings for dinner soon.

food6 food6

Thank You Sponsors!