iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winter blade lubrication

Started by heavyhorseman, November 30, 2003, 10:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heavyhorseman

Thanks for all the helpful advice on the stickers. I just reciently purchased a Baker 18HD and am now just getting the time to start using it, after spending a month cutting the logs. One more question. When it is below 32 degrees, what should you use instead of water to fill the lubrication tank that drips on the blade.

Minnesota_boy

As often as I can get away with it, I use nothing.  If the log is full of pitch, I may have to use a petroleum product to remove the pitch, but only as much as I have to, never a constant flow.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tom

My 1st choice is plain water.
My 2nd is water with a some dish soap. 1/8 cup to the gal.
If it the temperature drops then a little Alcohol or anti-freeze keeps it liquid.  I don't have a freezing problem too often.  ;D

isawlogs

When the weather gets below freezing I use windsheild wiper fluid, it has the the alcool and some detergent that takes care of the pitch on the blade.
 you don't have to worry about taking it in at knight cause it don't freeze....
   I also don't use much if I can get away with it....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

AtLast

I do a mix of water and anti freeze.....I WAS especially worried about the solonoid that opens the valve didnt freeze and crack. This works well. I have tried alcahol and windshield washer solvent...have even heard about folks using diesel fuel...

Kevin_H.

I gotta throw in a vote for the windshield washer fluid, I put a gallon in 5 gallon tank and fill up the rest with water.

Something else that might help is unhooking the the waterline from the tank when you are done so that it will drain and not freeze.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

BW_Williams

I used to use windshield fluid, but have found RV water system antifreeze has a better taste!  Before you laugh, how often has the wind shifted when your sawin?  Swing blade @ 3600 rpm can really put out a mist, even at a drip, I really turn it up for the bark cuts and depending on species, can turn it off after your in the clear lumber.  Good luck, BWW.
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Buzz-sawyer

Dont know if you are drinkin muck rv anti freeze but it stays in the human body....and I believe it is deadly poision if related to "glycol"?!? in auto antifreeze...is it used in fresh water rv systems....safe for drinkin?    Wow I sound like a worried parent!!
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Dave_Fullmer

Don, I use the RV anti-freeze in my motor home fresh water system.  These systems are supposed to be used for human consumption and I would be mighty surprised if the anti-freeze is un safe.  I guess I should go look ant the label.

On the other hand though, I have to admit that we drink very little from the holding tank.  We usually carry jugs of ozonated water for coffee and drinking water.  We also carry a ozone generator to purify any other water that we use when we get to the camping site (after our jugs get empty.  That's the reason why I haven't already checked the label on the RV anti-freeze.

We flush the system out in the spring, add a cup of bleach to the refilled holding tank, fill it and flush out the system again.
I used a whole gallon of bleach one time and it took half the season to get rid of the bleach smell.

When I get my mill running next month, I think I will use the RV anti-freeze.

Dave
If it aint Orange (AC that is) it won't run.

Buzz-sawyer

I remember a case where a woman sweetened her husbands evening tea for 2 weeks with auto antifreeze...do to marital disharmony ...killed him...! Ib never used rv type sounds safe....
 Any who I know what you mean bout bleach...I put it in our cystern to purify it...now use 2 stage filter...much better!
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

RMay

I use a bottle of rubbing alcohol its three for a dollar  ;D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

woodmills1

I still use the 50/50 mix deisel and bar oil from a squirt can only ona fresh blade and when I see build up.  But after starting this pallet stuff Ima thinkin fo workin out an on board squirter.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

smwwoody

I took the pump bottle squarters and bottle form a junk car mounted them on the mill pointed at the blade and I use a mix of diesel and bar oil.  just touch the butten when you can hear it needs it 2 gallon of the mix lasts a long time.  the colder it gets the more diesel you  have to use to get it to spray.  works great tastes BAD

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Stump Jumper

I use a mix of $.89/ gallon windshield wiper solvent 4 gals solvent to 1 gal water works fine for my neck of the woods.  

Does the diesel present a problem with discoloring the lumber or putting a finish on the lumber? ???
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

woodmills1

Ya really can't see or feel the deisel because its just a squirt not the way the water drip is.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Mark M

I use windshield washer fluid (methanol) full strength if cutting something sticky. It's good to about -25F. RV antifreeze (propylene glycol) is safer because it is less toxic, but I have not used it and don't know how well it works. Methanol is pretty DanG toxic, it will make you go blind if you drink it. Ethylene glycol (auto antifreeze) is pretty DanG toxic too. It takes about 120 mL or 4 shot glasses to kill an adult. If I remember my toxicology correctly it is metabolized to oxalic acid and forms crystals that rip either your kidneys or liver apart. I've been told it is a very painful death but I personally have never died from the stuff.

Thank You Sponsors!