iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Lets see what you tore up today.

I'll start with a dexter torsion axle that decided to eject out the back of my gooseneck at 2am in the rain last night.  Thought i had a cow stuck under the trailer for a second. 

Praise The Lord

Southside

I lost a big pine out of the buncher this weekend, thought it was going to be a bit loud in the cab for a moment but instead she went right to the left side tires and bounced about 3' back into the air before coming to a stop. Sorry, no pictures. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

chevytaHOE5674

Not today but last Wednesday on a custom hay baling job I snapped an output shaft off in the baler gearbox. I was 8 bales into 70 acres of hay. Parts were a 14 hour all night road trip with an 11 month old in the backseat away. Left at 6.30pm Wednesday, got home at 8.30am Thursday and was baling hay by noon that day. 

nativewolf

6 teeth and teeth holders off my FAE SSH200 head.  Going to cost $300 to get it moved to specialty welding shop and get the drum fixed, tooth holders and teeth probably going to be 1000+ and then welding shop for 1/2 a day.  So...not a great day.  Sadly, did it as a favor while taking down a few ridge rocks in a hay field that have broken lots of mowers and haybines over the years.  Can't even charge to a client.  No good deed goes unpunished and all that.

I did get the rocks :).
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Did that trailer accident happen in TN or VA?  Hope it was close to home but sorry it happened.  What do you do for the repair?
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Nice guys may finish last but atleast they have a good turnout at the wake!  

I got very lucky, it was not far into NY from mass, no one or thing got hurt, kids stayed asleep and i managed to get it all unscrambled before cops pulled up.  Told em id just finished changing a tire.   they were content to stay out of the rain, didnt notice i was a 30ft single axle.

Limped back to springfield successfully and parked it, grabbed a small enclosed trailer to bring down this trip while i figure out what to do.  Those axles are custom order 3 week lead time and about a grand each.  Im not sure i want to keep pouring money into it.  Axles wont unrust it or redeck it.  So im stewing on that issue for now.. Maybe a used axle will turn up
Praise The Lord

samandothers

Chevy,
Not sure what made me cring the most, 14 hours driving after a full day or concern the 14 month old would wake and not be happy!
How did you find a part you could pick up at 1 am!?!

Glad all were safe.

chevytaHOE5674

By the time all was said and done I slept 3 hours out of 40 but the customers hay all got baled without getting rained on... lol

Finding parts was easy my local dealer checked his computer and told me who had one in stock. Called that dealer and paid for it over the phone and he left it in a bag outside. Got to the dealership at 1am and the local sherrif was checking his email in their parking lot. Turns out he was a part time farmer so we had a good chat in the middle of the night. 

Was not fun but I try to do my best for the paying customers and they seem appreciate it.

Now to trade in the old baler before it breaks again.

barbender

This promises to be a good thread😁 I usually don't tear too much stuff up, but when I screw up it's usually pretty bad. A few weeks back, I backed my loaded forwarder into the front of a truck that was loading on the landing (worst part was, he was parked exactly where I told him to load) I was just barely creeping when I hit him, in fact I never even felt it. Pushed him back about 3'. He had just started loading, if he would've had more wood on it probably would've totally wiped his truck out. As it was, it didn't look too bad, but it all adds up- Ali-arc bumper, A/C condenser, radiator, air to air cooler, grill and hood. $10K or so👎👎👎 I'll have my head hanging quite low for some time. No, I did not think taking pictures at the time would be appropriate 😑
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Oof.. So ya noobed it up good didja? Reckon that threw your seniority out the window for a stretch.  
Praise The Lord

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Have blown the return hose off the splitter 3x this week.  And its got a bypass relief valve to boot so im not sure why, the housing is installed in the right direction.

Getting tired of oil baths.  
Praise The Lord

GRANITEstateMP

Mike,

That many oil baths?  Good news, your now waterproof!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Wudman

Some days you just need to call it quits.  Today was one of those.  I rented a plug core aerator to overseed my crabgrass (some folks call it a lawn - but mine is nothing but crabgrass at the moment.)  First off, my 4-wheeler wouldn't start.  See "Dang Chinese Carburetors" in the General Board for that story.  Well, I'll pull it with my lawnmower.  The Craftsman didn't want much to do with it, but I drained some water out of the ballast tank and commenced to work.  After about 20 minutes I came to a halt.  Looked down......that high quality Chinese tube that I put in the rear tire last year had belched the valve stem.  Went inside and called Dad.  "Is your 4 -wheeler running?"  "Nope - got it back from the shop and it ran for about 2 weeks and it's dead again."  This is a Yamaha that has been a pain from the day he bought it.  It has spent more time at the dealership than on the farm.  Anyway......scratching my head......I'll pull it with the Fordson Dexta......a little overkill for a 4 foot plug core but it got the job done.  Now I need to put out seed and fertilizer.  I'll run to town and get a tube for the tire (while waiting on a new carb for my 4 wheeler).  So I run to town.  It's a 30 minute trip for me.  Drop in the local Tractor Supply and pick up a new tube for the lawnmower.  Guess I should get a new tire, but it costs more than my lawnmower is worth.  I come back out the door and the local Cub Scout pack hits me up for money.  They are selling popcorn and peanuts.  I didn't have any cash.  No problem.....he said we can take a credit card.  Ok, "How much is this bag of Caramel Popcorn?"  "Twenty -five dollars comes the reply."  DANG.  It's the Cub Scouts so I made a contribution.  Came on home to put the tube in my tire.  Opened the sealed box and pull out the tube.  It is already cracked in the folds where it was in the box, so I'm back to square one.  My sister told me the other day that she had a limb down in her yard that was blocking her circle drive.  I asked her son if I could pull it out of the way with the tractor.  He said yeah.....the tractor could pull it.  I head up there with the tractor and chain.  When I get there, the limb is about 12 inches in diameter and laid in the forks of a little maple tree in her yard.  I didn't want to destroy the maple so back to the house for the chainsaw.  I cut the limb up and proceed to pull the brush out of the drive.  I feel a burning sensation on my forearm.  I thought it was a stinging caterpillar but I didn't see him.  Cleaned up the rest of the brush and went to stack the wood so Dad could come get it for firewood.  I stepped in a yellow-jackets nest at the base of the maple and was promptly rewarded including one in the inside of my nose.......So, I'm quitting for the day.  Just hope no planes fly over for a few hours.  This bad Mojo needs to subside.  :-\

Wudman   
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Southside

I hope the popcorn is good after all that!!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

samandothers

Man not a good day.  

Sorry about the stings but at least no blood or breaks!  Putting down grass seed will just cause more work in the spring anyway.

mike_belben

This months carnage report:

Splitter shot the filter across the yard

Bobcat tire MIA, reused foam chunks in it are held together by chain

Bobcat's Hoof governor sleeps with the fishes

Dozer starter back out again, new solenoid already arc'n and spark'n

Forktruck blew out a rod packing

And the kid hit a growth spurt

[No pics of my roadranger getting jammed in 2 gears at once, the bobcat's pertronix distributor eating up rotors and caps, me catching it on fire pretty good, clogged septic system, or busted dishwasher.]

livin the dream.
Praise The Lord

samandothers

DanG, you are a walking accident!  Hope that mojo improves!

Ed_K

Thats just awful :(. Hope you have a better day.
Ed K

mike_belben

This is my completely normal life, it doesnt even bother me.  How could i help anyone else fix their stuff if i wasnt in constant practice?  

Praise The Lord

Banjo picker

Mike, I thought the tire patch I have on the side wall of my 2600 ford tractor that I bush hog with was bad, but after seeing your tire repair, I think mine will last a while longer.  :)  I like this thread you started.  I should of took the picture of the blow out I had on my 3500 dodge the other day.  Trying to run that ole Michelin too long will cost me a few buck.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Hilltop366

Now don't take this the wrong way but looking at that filter and belt drive governor makes me wonder if you have a tendency to over tighten things? :D

g_man

Yikes Mike. I deal with this and think it is a bad day. I have no right !

gg

mike_belben

Well then dont take this the wrong way, but Im actually a pretty good mechanic (i have to be to have gotten this far on this little) and you guys may not actually grasp what youre lookin at.    ;D

The filter had an incorrect cold bypass valve in it that kept jamming in its seat crooked, and the filter must have been on for ages. Its a cobbled together splitter i got in a trade.  I couldnt make any sense of the numbers to even know what micron and the plan was to go through it and make changes when i get my next container hauled down.  Ive built plenty of filtration systems and have shelves of parts in massachusetts.    Return pressure blew the unit apart, not tightening.   Now is the critical time to split wood, not worry about wearing out equipment thats sposta keep me from wearing out.  Filter deleted for now, wood getting split.  Its how i survive.

The hoof governors are ancient and huge money.. Whoever has the reman parts isnt making them easy to find.  So the oil oozes out, the front bearing scatters and the flyweights can opener the housing in a minute or so.  It was only on there to tension the waterpump, it wasnt controlling the throttle.  I tossed it and put a mower belt idler on. One hour fix.  I wasnt gonna throw $800 at a junk bobcat, i aim to use up every drop of that machine.

The dozer had a brand new solenoid full of corrosion, so the brazilians who made it could save 2 pesos by not using any dielectric grease inside. It was welding itself from corrosion induced arcing. Stuck starters cause fires. I unsoldered the end cap and fixed it right.  Crazy fast starts again.  That komatsu 6's must have no pump advance at all.

I didnt put chain on the bobcat tire to hold it together,  the chains were on for traction.  But it was a burnt machine that i rebuilt cheap and the tops were weak from the fire. i drive on concrete demo and rebar all day with it.  No tire likes that.  Have another set of foam filled street tires that just wont go in my clay so i have to make OTT tracks and swap them on soon.  But id rather abuse the foam off these rims then have to cut it.  I got enough on my plate already!

Speaking of tires, i blew 11 this summer on road.  Since 2015 ive probably blown 30 to 40, maybe more.  Im pretty good with levers and ether.

Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Quote from: g_man on October 11, 2018, 10:44:38 AM
Yikes Mike. I deal with this
Blown hose?  
I am pretty fortunate to have a hose maker, dies and a lot of ends.  It took about 5 yrs to collect it all and gets me out of most jams.  Fortunately there is a great hose shop about 30 mins from me when i cant cobble something.  
My goal is to never leave home and work every day.  I avg about 1 to 2 week stretches.  Most of the bits i need come in the mail.  Saves me a lot of half hour trips to town.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!