iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

515 Cat Skidder Need Help

Started by Fish14, November 07, 2018, 10:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish14

I own a 96 Cat 515 skidder and I ran into a problem with it today and hoping someone could tell me what it may be. No matter what gear your in it will randomly jump out of gear and show neutral on dash. When it does that I just have to put it back in neutral on the steering wheel shifter and back to forward and its good. It will sometimes do this every 10ft or it may go for 10-15 minutes. I am confident its electrical but I have no idea where to look. I know the transmission is strong and full of the recommended cat trans fluid. Anybody that can help I would REALLY appreciate it!!!

barbender

Sounds like a problem @kiko would be good at figuring out.
Too many irons in the fire

kiko

To start with the easy stuff, check the alternator output voltage.  It should be around 26volts. That machine only has one computer, it controls your transmission and electrical operated grapple functions.  I can't remember the exact number but if the voltage supply to the VCU drops below a certain voltage the transmission controller will kick out . I seems from here to be electrical as well.  If the internals we're slipping it would just remain in gear on the monitor.  Next thing to check is the wiring going through the center to the rear control valve and make sure it has not rubbed on the drive shaft or been damaged by a stick.  Next thing is brake pressure.  The park brake is spring applied and hydraulically released. If the park brake pressure drops below threshold it will kick the transmission into neutral. The Park brake pressure sensor is located on the right side of the hydraulic tank where the lever goes through around that tangled mess of metal tubing.  Also pay attention to the service brake pedal to see if it has any resistance when it kicks out.

Cat515

Hey yesterday when i started my 515 cat the breaker in the fuse box was tripped....now this morning it did the same thing so i pushed the button and nothing happens?????no power to cab whatsoever....any ideas kiko

Cat515

Quote from: Cat515 on February 20, 2021, 09:58:14 AM
Hey yesterday when i started my 515 cat the breaker in the fuse box was tripped....now this morning it did the same thing so i pushed the button and nothing happens?????no power to cab whatsoever....any ideas @kiko

kiko

Any chance I can get the serial number. Post it or pm it. Thanks

Thank You Sponsors!