Sponsors:

North American Fires 2020

Started by Riwaka, September 11, 2020, 01:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomasjw4

Quote from: BAN on February 22, 2021, 04:56:03 PM
Quote from: Thomasjw4 on February 22, 2021, 10:47:45 AM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 22, 2021, 04:18:53 AM
The power companies could at least cut back the tree edge one full tree length from the main grid lines like they have up here for decades. Letting mature trees grow up close to main lines is nonsense. Give someone a job to widen out them corridors. Oh, we can't do that. ::)
Thats exactly what they have been doing in Western Montana. along with replacing alot of older power ppoles.
To much private ground to widen it that much. The right of way just isn't wide enough to clear that far.
I should havr clarified that it is being done on Forest Service ground.   Wildland fire is what I do for my big kid job, so i am pretty interested in it. 

SwampDonkey

I can understand the land rights issues. Up here it doesn't matter, private or public. In the day, decades ago, grandfather decided he was going to have the wood in that right of way, so he had to cut it himself. Otherwise, it would be going to the loggers cutting it out for the power company. Our utility is run by a crown corporation, it's not a private company. The stroke of a pen in your legislature can change that right-of-way width one day, for the 'greater good'. It's up to you folks that have to live with it. You get enough angry people complaining about fires and loss of power and you'd be surprised what gets done. It's probably brewing. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nativewolf

Quote from: Thomasjw4 on February 22, 2021, 10:47:45 AM
The power companies could at least cut back the tree edge one full tree length from the main grid lines like they have up here for decades. Letting mature trees grow up close to main lines is nonsense. Give someone a job to widen out them corridors. Oh, we can't do that. ::)
Thats exactly what they have been doing in Western Montana. along with replacing alot of older power ppoles.
Thomas, cool.  Wildfire management in the west should be a growth job and a challenge for sure.  Thanks for the post and pictures are always good!
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

The biggest issue out here is the state and federal grounds being left uncut they need clear cut or else this happens every time. If you take a drive over the Cascades you can see the state/federal ground it's all overgrown dead standing timber ripe for fire like this last year they're just lucky it wasn't more deadly. Two of these fires were rolling for a month before that wind storm came in to get them moving so well and both state/federal did nothing about putting them out.

SwampDonkey

Yes, but the point being made was trees falling on lines and trees catching on fire from close proximity to lines. It all adds up to fire loss no matter how it gets diced and sliced. ;D But yes, there is lots that needs to get done from many angles.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thomasjw4

Quote from: Skeans1 on February 23, 2021, 09:29:27 AM
The biggest issue out here is the state and federal grounds being left uncut they need clear cut or else this happens every time. If you take a drive over the Cascades you can see the state/federal ground it's all overgrown dead standing timber ripe for fire like this last year they're just lucky it wasn't more deadly. Two of these fires were rolling for a month before that wind storm came in to get them moving so well and both state/federal did nothing about putting them out.
I can only speak for my little slice of heaven, but the vast majority of logging projects get litigated and held up in court for YEARS by special interest groups.  Its not that the Feds dont want to log, quite the opposite actually, its that we arent allowed to.  

Skeans1

Quote from: Thomasjw4 on February 23, 2021, 08:23:42 PM
Quote from: Skeans1 on February 23, 2021, 09:29:27 AM
I can only speak for my little slice of heaven, but the vast majority of logging projects get litigated and held up in court for YEARS by special interest groups.  Its not that the Feds dont want to log, quite the opposite actually, its that we arent allowed to.  
If they really wanted to get something done they'd find a way as well but out here there's a let it burn approach that's not helping the problem one bit.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Thomasjw4 on February 23, 2021, 08:23:42 PM
I can only speak for my little slice of heaven, but the vast majority of logging projects get litigated and held up in court for YEARS by special interest groups.  Its not that the Feds dont want to log, quite the opposite actually, its that we arent allowed to.  
Different system here. Lobby groups can have influence, but they can't tie up progress through a court challenge. I've seen a lot of angry woodlot owners march on the legislature over issues of the day. Guess what happens. They close the doors to your woodlot association, basically taking away your voice and carry on with business as they set forth in their agenda. It would have to be something real harmful to society, and nothing 'feel good about it' to make a court challenge. Like if we as a group showed evidence that X company was polluting our drinking water, then that can be a court case. But someone not allowing me to maintain the power grid because it's a pretty pine tree they don't want cut, isn't going to go anywhere or even make a case. And more than likely you'd go to jail for trying be a nuisance, rather than something that is saving us from harm. I say 'us' because government is about us, not the whims of an individual or even a tiny group of 12 people.

Thomasjw4

Your absolutely right,  thats the way it should be, but sadly thats not how it is.  The bring the cases to specific judges and get injunctions on projects all the time.  I have had to remark sales after the paint had worn off because they had been in litigation for 15+ years!!!  Worst part is, until recently even if the special interest lost the case, they wouldnt have ro pay legal fees.  Luckily, at least that part has changed.

I am talking more about large scale logging operations, not about the powerline corridors.  They make claims about damage/destroying to wildlife habitat, lynx and grizzlies are most commonly named, even when it has been proven that selective cutting really has no impacts.   

Riwaka

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Thomasjw4 on February 24, 2021, 10:47:12 AMI am talking more about large scale logging operations, not about the powerline corridors.  They make claims about damage/destroying to wildlife habitat, lynx and grizzlies are most commonly named, even when it has been proven that selective cutting really has no impacts.  
We have had a lot of public interest meetings here in New Brunswick over forest management. The government has demonstrated many times over that they are not interested altering course outlined by interest groups. In fact, the far left wing driven parties do well to get one seat, most none at all, in the legislature. So if it were a concern to the public there would be a landslide vote. Not even close yet. So far they don't have very good leaders.

Riwaka

johndozer

My backyard in 2018. Alkali Lake fire, Telegraph Creek NW British Columbia about 500 yards from the house. The fire season is getting longer and conditions more explosive. Up here deciduous growth is usually relied on to act as a fire break to some degree. This fire pretty much crowned through the deciduous. I am a helicopter mechanic by trade and have been on the fringe of wildfires for 40+ years. There have always been anomalous dry years but increasingly it is becoming series of dry years. Snow pack in Telegraph is about 200% of normal this winter but the Stikine River barely froze, folks were stuck on the other side for most of the winter which is unusual. Kamloops has already had 6 fires this year and I am going to work on an initial attack helicopter in mid April which 10 years ago would have seemed unthinkable. Hopefully it remembers to rain this summer.

BAN

Quote from: johndozer on March 20, 2021, 02:04:23 PM

My backyard in 2018. Alkali Lake fire, Telegraph Creek NW British Columbia about 500 yards from the house. The fire season is getting longer and conditions more explosive. Up here deciduous growth is usually relied on to act as a fire break to some degree. This fire pretty much crowned through the deciduous. I am a helicopter mechanic by trade and have been on the fringe of wildfires for 40+ years. There have always been anomalous dry years but increasingly it is becoming series of dry years. Snow pack in Telegraph is about 200% of normal this winter but the Stikine River barely froze, folks were stuck on the other side for most of the winter which is unusual. Kamloops has already had 6 fires this year and I am going to work on an initial attack helicopter in mid April which 10 years ago would have seemed unthinkable. Hopefully it remembers to rain this summer.
Same conditions here. Real good snow fall up high but down low grass is growing.  A wet June could change things but looking like another long fire season. 

Thank You Sponsors!