iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade skidder

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, September 29, 2020, 08:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

I brought my "new-to-me-homemade" skidder back home Sunday. 

4 hour drive up to almost Canada and a good 6 hour ride back. Stopped to eat and had a little overheating issue. Some hose pulled off the radiator and the truck overheated. We stole a hose clamp off the skidder, reattached the hose. and luckily found a culvert running where I could fill a jug with water. Then, back on the road! I know, the skidder is loaded a little too far forward on the trailer than I'd have liked, but honestly, it pulled very nicely!

Old saw fixer

Interesting rig, tell us more about it!
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

mike_belben

Thats about the best thing you can do with deuce rears.  

Were gonna need more pics bub. Whats the rest of the driveline how did they power the winch?
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

ooh, I am in for the ride. I thought about building something like that. I may still. But I really don't have need for a skidder. Just be a fun toy to build.

mudfarmer

It looks a lot like my Blue Ox!

What kind of winch? Drivetrain? Can't tell, does it have any suspension? Please send more pics

You are going to have a lot of fun ;)

moodnacreek

Your supposed to call AAA !   Skidder looks interesting.

grabber green

I'm like everybody else,need specs and more pics. Always dig the home built stuff. My homemade skidder is my avatar.

230Dforme

I saw this machine listed on CL when
the listing was 5 hrs old, left a message 
for the owner, by hour 6 it was gone.

Great buy I think, knew it would be
gone quickly

Appears beautifully done, I also would 
like to know more about it

Good luck

DeerMeadowFarm

It has a Chevy 250 straight six, 3 speed (I think) transmission. I think the transfer case is from the Deuce, as well as the axles which were narrowed. The winch is powered from some sort of PTO off the transmission. The winch itself is also homemade from (I was told) the second rear Deuce axle. I has 11.00-20 military tires that are pretty dry-rotted but hold air. It has chains all around, but I plan to replace them with diamond or perhaps some sort of ring chain. Still learning about it myself! I'll post pics as I go along or take some if you have a specific request. Thanks!

Crusarius

can you run duals on it with a single chain? is that even a good idea?

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Crusarius on September 29, 2020, 01:51:00 PM
can you run duals on it with a single chain? is that even a good idea?
I don't really want to be wider than it is now. I figure when I replace the tires I'll get all 4 loaded so that will give me some stability.

barbender

It looks very well built, and a nice size👍👍
Too many irons in the fire

47sawdust

Deer Meadow,

I saw that listing as well. I hope you have a good time with that rig.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

mike_belben

Oh so its a solid frame and a steer front then... ?  

I wonder how they resplined the shafts when it got narrowed.  Interested to see the winch.  
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Looks good. Add a little bit onto the exhaust to get it over the roof, and that should make it better on the noise.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: mike_belben on September 29, 2020, 11:11:39 PM
Oh so its a solid frame and a steer front then... ?  

I wonder how they resplined the shafts when it got narrowed.  Interested to see the winch.  
Yes. The rear axle is solid mounted. The front is a steer axle but it pivots on a shaft that is on the centerline of the frame so the axle can pivot allowing the front wheels to move up and down; very similar to a tractor.
I'm not sure how he re-splined the axle shafts but the guy definitely had skills. The person I bought it from was the third owner (technically). The story he told me was that an old guy built the rig. He had worked in the woods and was obviously a machinist/welder/fabricator. He died right before it was 100% complete. His son finished it, but had no use for it so he sold it. The guy who bought it modified a Fisher plow to clear his driveway with. He made a pretty hokey set-up (more on that later) but really didn't use it much. 
The guy I bought it from used to drive by this guy's house and see it sitting there all the time not getting used. He had a small sawmill at the time and access to a lot of cedar so he stopped by and asked the guy if her would sell it. He ended up getting it. His modification was to raise the arch 4" and add a shear bolt to the winch. He used it for a while and then didn't really need it anymore so I got it.
It's pouring like crazy here today so I'll get winch pictures soon.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: thecfarm on September 30, 2020, 05:14:46 AM
Looks good. Add a little bit onto the exhaust to get it over the roof, and that should make it better on the noise.
Thanks Ray! It is surprisingly quiet. My first thought (and my buddy's who came with me) was that it was going to scream because the muffler looks like it's just a glass pack, but we were both surprised. I still may add on to the pipe at some point.

Old Greenhorn

Man, that is a slick toy tool. I wish you many happy days bouncing around in it. Moving that exhaust just seems like something you would want to do just so you are not breathing so much of it. I can see a paint job and adding a toolbox or try to the winch deck somehow, other than that you are ready to rock and roll. Best of luck with it!
Wonder where you are in MA, I am passing through in a week or so on our way to visit cousins in southern VT. (Wilmington)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 30, 2020, 07:56:02 AM
Man, that is a slick toy tool. I wish you many happy days bouncing around in it. Moving that exhaust just seems like something you would want to do just so you are not breathing so much of it. I can see a paint job and adding a toolbox or try to the winch deck somehow, other than that you are ready to rock and roll. Best of luck with it!
Wonder where you are in MA, I am passing through in a week or so on our way to visit cousins in southern VT. (Wilmington)
I plan to add racks and such for saw, fuel and oil, chokers, peavey, snatchblock, etc. I live in Warren, MA

tacks Y

I just saw that on face book over the week end. Have fun.

tacks Y

I would not be in a hurry to change tires, even w/cracks they would be better than a radial tire. I built one with semi tires did not hold up. Went to back hoe tires which held up great.

Old saw fixer

Please, what is this "Deuce" you speak of?
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Iwawoodwork

The Duce is a military 2 1/2 ton 6x6 truck.  usually called a duce and a half.
What a find , really enjoy seeing those home built machines because it gives ideas for a lot of us. 

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Old saw fixer on September 30, 2020, 10:33:52 AM

Please, what is this "Deuce" you speak of?
I'm talking about the military "Deuce and a half" 6x6 truck. It's a 2-1/2 ton truck hence the nickname Deuce and a a half. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M35_series_2%C2%BD-ton_6x6_cargo_truck

Thank You Sponsors!