iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A mild winter

Started by Quebecnewf, February 11, 2021, 10:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Well we're finally getting our snow . We cut 240 logs on the bare ground . No snow to move them .finally got a batch of snow but we have had very little real cold .

The ice bridge has not formed so we're living at the logging camp and crossing by chopper .

A couple loads on the sleds and we're starting to pile them by the shoreline 

Quebecnewf

thecfarm

I had forgotten about you. Thanks for the update. Has been warm here. We just got our cold weather in the last week. Have not been above freezing for maybe a week? Single temps at night, mid 20's high noon.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nativewolf

Quote from: Quebecnewf on February 11, 2021, 10:47:15 AM
Well we're finally getting our snow . We cut 240 logs on the bare ground . No snow to move them .finally got a batch of snow but we have had very little real cold .

The ice bridge has not formed so we're living at the logging camp and crossing by chopper .

Quebecnewf
Crossing by chopper?  Wow, that is serious.
Liking Walnut

Bruno of NH

I was wondering about you the other night.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jeff

Hang on, a huge jet stream bubble heading your way hopefully
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Andries

Winnipeg has been in a bit of a cold snap since the start of the month, -45 C at night and daytime highs of -35. It's sure nice to have a woodstove in the shop for times like this!

As the weather changes and the loopy jet stream moves, you may still have a chance of solid ice and a bit of colder weather. Then you could zip home after a few days of logging, without relying on a helicopter. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Jeff

I heard a report that this air mass we have right now took Lake Michigan from 18% to like 30% over night, went and found this.
Great Lakes ice cover growing rapidly after arctic outbreak; See with your own eyes - mlive.com

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

olcowhand

Quote from: Quebecnewf on February 11, 2021, 10:47:15 AM

Quebecnewf
I too was wondering how you are wintering...
Stay safe, and keep the communications coming.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Quebecnewf

Winter is slowly arriving . We're attempting to move some logs we cut up over the chute at the river last fall.

There are two piles and there snowed up a bit .
We had a path broke to them but now we have a snow storm blowing through so we start again

Quebecnewf 

thecfarm

Kinda looks like my wood pile.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cruiser_79

It is very interesting to see how you haul your logs over there, can't imagine that it's only possible in case of snow. Over here all transportation stops with 2'' of snow  :D 
Is there enough forest on your island? On google earth it looks like there is only rock and some bushes?

thecfarm

The sawmill is barren of trees. Just one big rock.  ;D

ehp

Yep it sure is a warm winter . This morning the door hinges at the house had 1/4 inch of frost on them on the inside of the house lol . Next week its above freezing pretty much everyday for the temp highs

dgdrls

Quebecnewf,

great to see a new post from you,  I always enjoy them

D

OntarioAl

Cruiser_79
He lives on the "Rock"  ;D but logs on the mainland to the north
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

gump

Mild winter here as well in Nova Scotia. Ice is just now forming with this last drop in temperatures starting on the lakes! Sorry Quebecnewf..I meant ice is starting on our ponds! We all know that "a lake is something you get in a rubber boot by". Not sure if ice will be totally safe this year or not. Unprecedented.

Quebecnewf

We have a bit of colder temps now but nothing big . 

Snow is good but if we get a few mild days it's going to go south pretty quickly .

We have been moving some logs we cut last fall ( 200) from up on the river down to the landing by the shore . Tow them next spring with the boat . We have 140 down now . Should finish them tomorrow 

These are ready for the spring . We will roll them into the water hitch them together and tow them home to the mill from here .

Quebecnewf 

curved-wood

Your way of skidding is really amazing

Stephen1

I'm liking the looks of those logs rolling into the water in the spring. Get us a picture of when you drop them in!
Good work
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Quebecnewf

Two piles at two landing spots . Ready for spring splash

Quebecnewf 

SwampDonkey

Great to see you at it again up there. ;D

Down here, been hearing in the news media, because they got nothing news worthy, about the seals coming on land with their pups. Sea ice apparently is thin or lacking this year, so more seals on land around small coastal villages. You get a couple folks that think they gotta save an animal, that don't need saving in the first place, calling a nonsense story in to the CBC and that is all it takes for news. Meanwhile they estimate close to 6 million seals around here, they ain't hurt'n none. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

petefrom bearswamp

Always like your posts Q
Not too cold here, but only a very few day above freezing and today is supposed to be one.
About 30 inches of snow here in my woods so no firewood cutting this winter as tractor wont go in this much.
It is 4wd but the tire tread is rounded and traction lacking.
Ordered ring chains for all fours
Hope to see posts of the splash when it occurs.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Quebecnewf

Looks like the spring splash will be real early . The ice bridge formed but was only good to cross for one day . It was thin at that . 6" on the track but only 3" in some sections . We crossed to the island one evening . Stayed home for the night left early the next morning back to the mainland . Later that afternoon we were headed back with two small loads of birch logs when we got word that a guy had been crossing , lost his sleigh . When he turned around to pick it up his snowmobile started cutting through the ice .

That was it for the ice . Been mild since then and a bit of snow so it's just a bar of slush now . 

We're slated on the 4 o'clock chopper flight . Pick up our snowmobile at the airport and go back to our winter cabin . 

Fell on some logs a few days ago and sprained my wrist so been nursing that . Hope it's good to go . I feel we have very few cutting days left in this mild winter 

Quebecnewf 

Our ride to the mainland  when the ice is to thin 

Quebecnewf

For clarification.
Yellow is where we live
Red is location of airport ( Chevery)
Blue is location of winter camp 
When ice is too thin we fly from yellow to red then snowmobile to blue.

We log in and around blue 

Quebecnewf 

Andries

It looks like about ten kilometers from Chevery to the winter camp.
Do you have bush trails to get there, or do you follow the shoreline for smoother riding?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!