iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ice storm damage/harvest

Started by soontobelogger, February 17, 2021, 02:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soontobelogger

Got a call from my neighbor in E KY saying we got some decent ice and he could hear trees falling and snapping at the higher elevations in the holler. Going to check out the damage this weekend but want to kind of have an idea ahead of time to see what we could be getting into. The unfortunate part of the situation is the better timber is up high where it was harder to get to in the past....

How long will sawlogs remain viable after tops have broken out? What about trees that have been uprooted?

I'd assume that poplar would have to be got to before white oak?

I'll get some pictures up over weekend

Tacotodd

I'm not the one to ask about lumber milling, but firewood is almost never to late. The cold will buy you some time though. Almost anything that keeps the insect damage from happening and/or getting worse is ALWAYS a good thing for lumber. Firewood does not care. The people might, it just depends on how it's being utilized, and for firewood it's going to depend upon HOW it's being burned.
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

They may get insect invasions or they may scar over and sprout new "tops."  Hard to say but i wouldnt take tomorrow off over it.  You have some time. 
Praise The Lord

peakbagger

There was very large coverage ice storm in New England and Quebec in 1998. The cooperative extension had access to lot of experimental data from a nearby experimental forest and ran seminars for landowners and loggers. My guess is you have something equivalent down in your area that will have recommendations. I know that every logger around was busy doing salvage for a couple of winters.

Woodfarmer

Have a bit of experience with ice storm cleanup, it can be very dangerous work. If you've never worked with it, I suggest you wait until the ice melts.

John Mc

Quote from: Woodfarmer on February 17, 2021, 09:41:58 PMHave a bit of experience with ice storm cleanup, it can be very dangerous work. If you've never worked with it, I suggest you wait until the ice melts.

Good advice.

At the very least, wait a bit because some of the tension can settle out of the tangled mess if it sits a bit. If I have a choice, I avoid cutting right after the storm unless it's something that can't wait, like opening up a driveway
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mike_belben

Think like a beaver.  Whittle.  Watch, wittle some more.  Let each limb reveal its intent so you can position yourself before you unleash the beast with a severing cut.  Take out little pie cuts so you dont get pinched... Continually, until there is motion in the weakened area youve been removing wood.  that motion gives away what stored energies exist and must be dissipated.   

Like a mouse trap.  Its only bad if the energy is released all at once and youre in between it.  Release it slow instead.  
Praise The Lord

soontobelogger

I have no intentions of cutting anything right away.

Turns out we didn't get enough ice to do major damage. Most of the trees that snapped off were the already standing dead ash. I also have an eastern facing pocket that was being overtaken by grape vines and junk that took the brunt of it. Few red oaks up high uprooted.

Old Greenhorn

One of the big issues dealing with trees like this is that it's not just the stresses in the tree you are working on, but all the trees involved in the tangle. Cutting one to the pint of relief changes the loading on those other trees and sometime they behave in strange ways. It's like a puzzle, and as Mike pointed out you have to go at it slowly, after the ice is gone (another stress riser) and the footing is safer. "Take your time and analyze" is the rule of the day on these. Always be prepared to walk away and get a machine in when things aren't 'right'.
Also, as John said, unless there is a true emergency avoid any immediate work, let it settle. Like him, I only do these when they land on homes, cars (that might be saved), and the occasional driveway. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!