iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling hard hats and vision

Started by Arenite_Boulders, February 19, 2021, 12:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arenite_Boulders

I've never previously worn a helmet when felling, but all of that experience was on flat terrain, near civilization, and when I was younger and stupider. We now have some steep wooded land that is a long ambulance ride from the nearest trauma center, so I invested in a couple of hard hat/helmets that were well reviewed (don't have them here, so cannot cite the brand and model). The hats have a protruding "bill" which serves to attach the plastic or mesh shields. I have a serious issue with not being able to see directly overhead - "up" the truck of a tree I'm felling - because of that bill. That seems to me to be very much contrary to safe practice. Am I doing something wrong? Are these items possibly designed for crew work on the assumption that a crew member who is not doing the actual cutting would be responsible to look out for hazards above during the felling process? Any hard hat to recommend that allows a direct overhead view while maintaining adequate protection? Thanks.

doc henderson

you will have to bend your neck and look up, but if something is falling, you do not want it to smash your face.  in rock climbing, you wear a helmet, and if someone yells "watch out" you are trained to not look up.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mike_belben

I wear a petzl suspension climbers helmet with muffs and screen.  Has no brim. 
Praise The Lord

Riwaka

Faller and spotter roles working as a tag team, is common in places with hazardous trees on steep slopes. Might discuss which direction to fall the tree etc. Large trees - one can be working a jack or wedges while the other is on the saw etc.

Protos helmets can have Peltor blue tooth communications if my memory is correct. Range is up to 500 feet between 2 units.

Forest | Protos Integral

Thank You Sponsors!