iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poplar prices?

Started by towboat88, February 24, 2021, 06:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

towboat88

Looking to buy some standing Poplar logs from a neighbor of mine and want to be fair to them on price any one have an idea what it's going for buy the MBF? In western KY. 

nativewolf

On international scale 650 for prime butt logs (4 side clear 18" on small end and 16').  I hear 700 doyle in N Cent TN.  If they are bone white (big sap rings) put them on a truck and send them to Ohio for $1.5/bdft.  

The 15" 3 side clear logs are going for about 400 here.  Big premium for nice logs.

That's all I got.  We put about 9000 bdft of decent logs on the ground today but it is half TSI half harvest so we are taking the worst.  
Liking Walnut

towboat88

Is that per thousand board feet or a log? An thanks for the quick reply 

Firewoodjoe

Around here good aspen/poplar brings 40-60 per cord. Straight through logs and pulp. Nobody buys that by the foot here. Good logs sell delivered at the mill for $150 a cord. But the poplar is different in the south.  

Don P

Quote from: towboat88 on February 24, 2021, 07:25:59 PM
Is that per thousand board feet or a log? An thanks for the quick reply
That was per thousand board feet international scale, yellow (tulip) poplar.

BargeMonkey

I see chrome Rexroth throttle controls... 🤷‍♂️😆 

towboat88

Quote from: BargeMonkey on February 24, 2021, 08:17:38 PM
Lol yeah most are on the boats I operate. I'm assuming you're talking about my profile picture? The river gets my body an sole most of the time. But my heart an mind is in the woods or at the sawmill. 

nativewolf

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on February 24, 2021, 07:43:20 PM
Around here good aspen/poplar brings 40-60 per cord. Straight through logs and pulp. Nobody buys that by the foot here. Good logs sell delivered at the mill for $150 a cord. But the poplar is different in the south.  
He's referring to Yellow Poplar, liriodendron tulipifera.  One of the magnolia's that might make it to southern MI but not sure.  He's in prime YP territory.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: towboat88 on February 24, 2021, 08:40:38 PM
Lol yeah most are on the boats I operate. I'm assuming you're talking about my profile picture? The river gets my body an sole most of the time. But my heart an mind is in the woods or at the sawmill.
You and Barge should start a help group.
Liking Walnut

BargeMonkey

Theres actually quite a bit of boat trash quietly lurking the FF, one guy here is an Unlimited Chief. I have a Chief Limited Oceans / 2nds ticket, spent plenty of time in those throttle control heads. Pushboat is a whole diff animal compared to a model bow boat or ATB, I was on a 4kHp 710EMD boat making 1k ft tows down the Hudson for a while, flanking rudders are something else when your sliding sideways around Westpoint with 36,000 tons in front of you 😆 I spent most of my time on wire and Atb's doing coastwise work but ive been as far up as Redstick. I still miss it. 

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: nativewolf on February 24, 2021, 08:42:10 PM
Quote from: Firewoodjoe on February 24, 2021, 07:43:20 PM
He's referring to Yellow Poplar, liriodendron tulipifera.  One of the magnolia's that might make it to southern MI but not sure.  He's in prime YP territory.
We have what we call anyways Yellow poplar and white poplar. The yellow everyone refers to maybe quaking aspen🤷🏼‍♂️ All I know is I love cutting good 10-12 stick stuff! 

towboat88

Quote from: BargeMonkey on February 24, 2021, 08:51:45 PM
Theres actually quite a bit of boat trash quietly lurking the FF, one guy here is an Unlimited Chief. I have a Chief Limited Oceans / 2nds ticket, spent plenty of time in those throttle control heads. Pushboat is a whole diff animal compared to a model bow boat or ATB, I was on a 4kHp 710EMD boat making 1k ft tows down the Hudson for a while, flanking rudders are something else when your sliding sideways around Westpoint with 36,000 tons in front of you 😆 I spent most of my time on wire and Atb's doing coastwise work but ive been as far up as Redstick. I still miss it.
Heck yeah buddy! I love what I do for a livin it definitely takes a big brass set sometimes especially when you got 15 loads in front of you and lose a main engine and you're coming down on a lock but that's what makes it exciting. I run the Ohio doing harbor work these days. I enjoy seeing the family daily so it works out good.

towboat88

I posted the same question over on forestry and logging but figured someone over here might have knowledge on the subject. Looking to buy some poplar from my neighbor and I want to give him a fair price. Anyone know what a MBF is going for or what your paying in your area for logs? I'm in western KY 

tmbrcruiser

I am a timber buyer for a local mill. Poplar stumpage in my area can range from $150.00 to $350.00 per MBF. Value is dependent on logging conditions and timber grade. I know that is a large spread and only you will be able to make the determination as to which end of the scale you are on. I don't have knowledge for your area, hope someone from your area will add to your post.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

towboat88

Thanks tmbrcruiser that helps alot

Jeff

These topics have been merged. Please read the rules on posting. It is against forum rules to post the same topic on multiple boards.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

towboat88

Quote from: Jeff on February 25, 2021, 12:26:28 AM
These topics have been merged. Please read the rules on posting. It is against forum rules to post the same topic on multiple boards.
Sorry about that Jeff 

stavebuyer

Tree run in your part of KY $250-300 per mbf(or $.25-$.30per foot) on Doyle would be about the going stumpage value for Yellow Poplar. Nothing is bought or sold in West Ky on the International Rule, so no point introducing a conversion question.

towboat88

Quote from: stavebuyer on February 25, 2021, 03:32:07 AM
Tree run in your part of KY $250-300 per mbf(or $.25-$.30per foot) on Doyle would be about the going stumpage value for Yellow Poplar. Nothing is bought or sold in West Ky on the International Rule, so no point introducing a conversion question.
Thanks Steve thats what I was thinkin the  price was around here Just by going off what dryed milled BF is. I usually just mill off my own property but I don't have a single Poplar over 10" on the place granted I have a ton of white oak. It's fest or famine I guess 

Remle

I was wondering the stump-age price versus delivered price would be to the mill.

Thank You Sponsors!