iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Selling poplar/bigtooth aspen in the Northeast?

Started by Mattjohndeere2, February 25, 2021, 09:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattjohndeere2

Hello,
I have a ton of standing poplar (at-least thats what we call it up here, I want to say its bigtooth aspen), and I've been trying to dig around and see if there is a market for it. I'm located in upstate NY, any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Matt

chep

Only market I know of besides pulp regionally is commonwealth plywood in Whitehall ny. 
It needs to have almost 0 rot and no major knots. They can be picky. But logs are cut 17 ft 6 and scale up nice and look good on a truck.  

mudfarmer

There is a concentration yard near me, older price list I have says $150/Mbdft international scale across the board no matter the grade.

Also a small local mill was/is buying it to saw, price about the same. I did not end up selling any to him because for that price he wanted only the absolute best, 16' 4CF 12" top and it was not worth it to me to pay trucking and deal with his attitude :D Cut up about 5cd and burned it in the syrup evaporator and pushed the rest into the weeds.

@BargeMonkey @moodnacreek may have some ideas

Mattjohndeere2

Hey thanks very much gents. I'll see what commonwealth says. At 150/Mbft, I'm thinking I might as well just saw it up myself for subfloor and save myself the cost of advantech. Maybe not earth-breaking savings, but the way lumber prices are going I might end up a good chunk ahead.

Mudfarmer, whereabouts are you?

Corley5

My house is built of 90%+ big tooth aspen.  Good logs make good lumber 😉😎
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mudfarmer

Northern ADK foot hills.

Corley I don't think I grow the same quality as you do over there, gets much size and it dies off. Luckily on my place not much of it, was cutting for someone else that had a whack of it 

Mattjohndeere2

Quote from: Corley5 on February 26, 2021, 09:33:19 AM
My house is built of 90%+ big tooth aspen.  Good logs make good lumber 😉😎
That's neat. I guess I thought that it was something that couldn't get graded in terms of framing or post/beam timbers for a residence. We framed a one story barn with it about 16 years ago on my father's land, just normal 2x6 studded walls and it seems fine for that. I would think it's too soft in compression to use for posts?

Mattjohndeere2

Quote from: mudfarmer on February 26, 2021, 12:28:08 PM
Northern ADK foot hills.

Corley I don't think I grow the same quality as you do over there, gets much size and it dies off. Luckily on my place not much of it, was cutting for someone else that had a whack of it
Copy that. Im a little farther south than you, in Rome/Utica area

petefrom bearswamp

A whole lot more Quaking aspen than big tooth here in my area.
I assume that the 150 per mbf is at the yard?
loggers here get that much for cutting and skidding.
When practicing as a consultant I figured about 25 bucks Doyle on the stump but I have been retired since 06
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

mudfarmer

Quote from: chep on February 25, 2021, 09:09:20 AM
Only market I know of besides pulp regionally is commonwealth plywood in Whitehall ny.
It needs to have almost 0 rot and no major knots. They can be picky. But logs are cut 17 ft 6 and scale up nice and look good on a truck.  
They might not be so picky anymore, just looked at plywood at the store yesterday, awful junk garbage! 10-20 2-3" empty black knots a sheet, awful cracks, just nasty stuff!!
Pete - mostly quaking here too but some big tooth. That 150 was delivered to yard price. If starving better than nothing but so far I can always find something to do that pays better than a can of beans a day 

Mattjohndeere2

I did get a price sheet from a logger that sells to the Mill that CommonWealth uses. Basically prime 16" 4CF runs $450/mbf. Steps down from there to grade 6, 9"+ 0CF is $140/mbf. Measured international 1/4 scale.  

chep

If not 3 or 4 clear faces dont bother. They are picky and will cull logs willy nilly!

They are not a pulp mill. They are a veneer mill. Its tempting to send them borderline logs but you will be punished!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: mudfarmer on February 26, 2021, 12:28:08 PM
Northern ADK foot hills.

Large tooth does a lot better up here than trembling does and grows twice as fast. Good aspen requires fire, the suckered stuff after clearcuts is pretty much dead by 10". Back a few years ago we cut some monster aspen, this was mostly trembling, but it was aspen that came in on the wind from a fire that occurred 1910 or so. On the frontage of my woodlot I have been cutting a lot of it that is dying off and promoting hardwood and softwood. That was suckered aspen. Across the road from me looks like a war zone, aspen dying and falling down everywhere, plus beavers not helping none. The woodpeckers sure love it if anyone wants to watch woodpeckers.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mattjohndeere2

Quote from: chep on February 27, 2021, 01:28:44 PM
If not 3 or 4 clear faces dont bother. They are picky and will cull logs willy nilly!

They are not a pulp mill. They are a veneer mill. Its tempting to send them borderline logs but you will be punished!
Hey chep - thank you. I kind of figured as much but it's good to hear. I think I'm better off using it for the house. I have this crazy dream of building the house with everything off my property and only buying things I can't make (windows/doors, insulation, etc.). Who knows if it'll come true. Best I can do is shoot for it I guess

Thank You Sponsors!