iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Total of our experience-Logging and working in the woods

Started by Jeff, June 27, 2008, 10:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

We are trying to figure out how many years of experience and knowledge this forum offers in certain areas. This Poll is for Logging or working in the woods harvesting Forest Products of some kind. Could be you have cut firewood, or you may be a mechanized logger. All that experience comes together on the Forestry Forum and makes up the knowledge that we had a group have to offer.

When answering the poll, round to the nearest number, either up or down, what ever is closest. It would be just to much for the poll if we added an option for every year. What we will come up with by rounding will be a very accurate number for our total.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Wallys World

I got my first chainsaw when I was 14 years old, wow 36 years ago. I have been cutting firewood ever since. Had a good business for some time selling it, now it has been just for family use and trying to sell bundled. In the last 7 years since getting the mill I have been more on logging for the lumber and using the tops for the firewood. It is nice when you can work on your own land and not have to travel to get logs. (100 acres helps too)
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Paul_H

Last week was exactly 30 years full time logging.Started in 1978 and things were still pretty rosy in the logging industry.The early 80's were tight but things picked up again until 1997 then it seems it never really recovered completely.
The woods is still my #1 choice of places to work.The people and the space!
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Woodcarver

I checked 40 years because I started almost that long ago working in the woods with my father hauling logs and whiskey barrel bolts when I wasn't in school. I think I probably accumulated more miles behind the wheel of a truck than a car as a teenager.

Since then it's always been part-time.  Began heating with wood during 70's and more recently have been cutting some pulp. 

Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

zackman1801

1 year, just a green horn, learning my way into the woods. im only 16 but im getting into the woods more and more. just started cutting for firewood because oil is just do dang expensive.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

sawguy21

I worked in the woods off and on in the 70's and got hooked. Got into small engine repair and enjoyed working with saws and the loggers. Spent almost five years in heli logging in the late 90's, I loved that but sure hard to make a living in it now.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

breederman

I was probably 10 years old when I started picking up firewood as it came off of the buzz saw.  It took alot of wood to keep the pipes from freezing in that old house! I skidded alot of logs and firewood down off the hill with a JD 50 when I was a teenager, and been cutting mostly firewood for fun every since then.
Together we got this !

deadeye

started in the woods with my dad when i was about five,  we lived on a dairy farm and cut forty cord a year plus all the sawlogs we could get out of the trees we downed.  traded a weeks wages with a neighbour  for a homelite xl 12 at the age of twelve.  from then on i've been cutting firewood and brush lines for  people and for the past ten years have been custom logging and sawing. 

Sawyerfortyish

I started cutting firewood when I was 17 when I got out of school we put in the sawmill. Seems like it was just last week but it was 1981. Never worked a day for anyone else I worked on the family farm with dad and my brothers and still do. No way could I join the rat race and commute to the city to work. Give me the woods and the farm.

Corley5

I've been logging on and off both full and parttime for twenty one years and have been cutting firewood for even longer.  I checked 15 years since I haven't always worked in the industry
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Frickman

I grew up in a logging and sawmilling family and started felling timber at age twelve. Before that I'd help carry saws and firewood, probably from age five. I consider age twelve though to be when I started.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

thecfarm

This is a nice poll that brings back a few memories of just carrying the wood to the truck.I enjoyed my Father in the woods more than out of the woods.We just seemed to get along better working in the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

maple flats

I started cutting firewood in '73 and my only cutting was firewood til 2003. I cut with dad for his home, our home and my brother's home. We also cut firewood for sale during the winter when business was slow. Starting in 2003 I cut logs to get sawn into lumber for my sugarhouse and the sawyer took sooo looong I bought my own mill. I now do custom sawing on a limited scale, do very little logging (my land only), and I am sawing lumber to build our new (retirement) home. I also have a forest stewardship plan for my woods and do some timberstand improvement, which was new to me in 2003.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Jeff

so far we are at a combined experience of 1294 years. :)

Don K

I selected 30 yrs as I was 16 when I first got to use the chainsaw to cut firewood  to sell and use at home. I toted it to the truck a lot longer than that! :o My grandaddy was a logger so I have spent my life in the woods. I cut paperwood on the side until that industry fell apart for the small man in the south in the early 90's. I heat my home with wood and love to cut down trees. I used to take my mom's Old Hickory butcher knife when I was about 6 or 7 and hack down small trees. If I had all of them now I could never finish sawing them up.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Gary_C

Wasn't sure of the years to put down. I have been doing some work with trees since 1964 but not all years. My brother in law and I cut down a large walnut yard tree one Sunday when the Steelers were playing in the Super Bowl with Bradshaw as their QB. The last ten years pretty much full time so I put down 25 years.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jeff

TeaW

Got my first saw at 17 by falling dead elm at 5 bucks a tree, been selling logs and firewood for over 30 years.
TeaW

Norm

I was 14 when the dutch elm disease came through our farm. We had many die that needed cleared. We started out with a two man saw but soon went to an ancient chainsaw that weighed a ton and had a pump oiler for the chain. I'm still amazed we survived dropping those monsters but over a couple of summers cleared out the dead ones. Our neighbor used a wood burning furnace that would take huge chunks. He also had a buzz saw mounted on the front of a AC tractor. Since then I've been doing some kind of chainsaw work off and on.

Ed

I started helping my grandfather process firewood with our Ford 9N & cordwood saw when I was around 14. Had my own chainsaw at 16.
It doesn't seem like 30 years...............

Ed

BBK

Started off in 1958 carrying the gas and the "story pole" and marking log lenghts. 
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

jim king

This thread brings back a lot of memories.  As any kid on the farm in the 50´s I helped my dad in the woods cutting firewood in the winter and the worst part of that was stacking the basement full for the winter after it dried a year.  At first it was the cross cut saw , ax and wedges and then we hit the bigtime and got a green Homelite that weighed a ton . 

After getting my own farm it was constant maintainence of trees fallen on the roads and fences and as I have not seen the farm in 14 years I hope my son is doing the same.  Then I started working overseas and ended up working with people in various countries in wood products, Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Ghana, Cameroon, Liberia, Abu Dabi, Brazil, Colombia , Peru and of course the US.

It hasn´t always been a bed of roses but it has been fun and I guess there is not much that I would do different the next time.   You can put me down for 30 plus of the serious side of woodworking.  Wood has made for an interesting life for my wife and myself and finally we are here in the Amazon with to much investment , business , freinds and animals to ever leave so from Northern Wisconsin to the Amazon it has been fun.

cuttsey

I started logging back in 93 and havent looked back yet, still lovin the life ( made easier by Airconditioning and the cd player in my cab).
Cuttsey

Ed_K

I put 40. if I include pullin wood off the buzz saw its closer to 47. Got a crosscut at 13, that was older than I am now. wow it could cut better than ax, till I run outa steam  ;D .
First chainsaw was a homylite. Now I'm wishin for a tracked processor.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!