iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

A little bit of today's adventure those 3 point dawgs are sure nice to use in this thick bark Doug fir.

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Glad to hear about the trucks wyatt.. Hope it works out longterm.
Praise The Lord

chep

Skeans1

Quote from: nativewolf on March 03, 2021, 09:58:04 PM
Enjoying the 500i?
Once the stock dawgs were put on the shelf, the av springs were changed, and an outerwear has been fitted it's been a good little runner. In stock form they run pretty good the fuel economy is about like a 390 Husky and that's what this saw reminds me of for feel. One thing I'm noticing is I'm changing my grind more for this saw it's more aggressive then I've ran previously I'm not sure if it's the way the saw runs it or if it's me changing my style a little bit. My main complaint with it is the oiling is ok but nothing like a husky does.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: BargeMonkey on March 02, 2021, 10:24:50 PM
Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 02, 2021, 09:52:13 PM
Don't know what to do with the snow. WHAT! You know. It's for the refreshments 😂
Im so ready for this winter to be over. We came home in a WHITE OUT snowstorm, local power company has gotten so bad we go days without power basically every 1-2 months now. Lost power around 8pm, it was -3 at 7am and BLOWING. Yanked the recoil out of my small generator, started my 440D and went up the road and then 3/4 mile in to retrieve my light plant, got that home and it gelled up... just about ready to go get my welder when the power came on, the day started out great... im building a new small cabin this yr and I want to find out what solar is going to cost me.
Solar and your own power are looking pretty good after these power companies are jacking everybody around and spiking the prices. They told us to conserve here when it was below zero because of the Texas deal. But they didn't tell you that if you didn't that your bill could be three to four times as high. Till after the fact several days later!!!! *******!!

BargeMonkey

Quote from: barbender on March 03, 2021, 05:31:36 PM
Barge, did you lose your blonde? The ladies aren't typically too excited about the "minimum footprint" type of house😊
No, the exact opposite 😆 She isn't excited about the "Ultimate man cabin" because she at somepoint wants to live together, i told her maybe by 2030 🤷‍♂️ A couple of months ago I wasnt sure, and that other one was more drama than it was worth. Anymore if a woman doesn't make X amount of money, have a decent career and a decent background i dont even want to get involved, done with that 😆 
Guys around here dont want it bad enough, I think this kids buying a Bells 6000 here soon. Ive already sold the wood off that job i walked yesterday, big 1 mile trucker... 😆

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 03, 2021, 11:18:06 PM
Don't know what to do with the snow. WHAT! You know. It's for the refreshments 😂
Im so ready for this winter to be over. We came home in a WHITE OUT snowstorm, local power company has gotten so bad we go days without power basically every 1-2 months now. Lost power around 8pm, it was -3 at 7am and BLOWING. Yanked the recoil out of my small generator, started my 440D and went up the road and then 3/4 mile in to retrieve my light plant, got that home and it gelled up... just about ready to go get my welder when the power came on, the day started out great... im building a new small cabin this yr and I want to find out what solar is going to cost me.
Solar and your own power are looking pretty good after these power companies are jacking everybody around and spiking the prices. They told us to conserve here when it was below zero because of the Texas deal. But they didn't tell you that if you didn't that your bill could be three to four times as high. Till after the fact several days later!!!! *******!!
Honestly I dont think its a bad way to go 🤷‍♂️ We made the store extra heavy on trusses with the idea down the road of possibly supplementing with solar. You call some of these companies and the price is nuts, my parents built a new house a couple yrs ago and it was like 60k ?, if i can do a small house for 10 I can justify it, but not for that. 

Walnut Beast

BargeMonkey

Probably tues / wednesday. My tractor is in the shop right now for maintenance, roads have sucked, ive only got 1 days worth of wood down so im not really desperate for it, bring it to the shop and go thru it, tighten chains and take it back to the woods, the guys already got the money spent on a track skidsteer. I got him to commit to a price on his BEAUTIFUL 450J but... ive got to take the D6C 10K also.. 🤷‍♂️ He wants to buy a 700J. Do that here in a little bit. I wanted to buy that 450G in Vermont and now the guy doesn't want to sell, that J is so nice... cab, full forestry package, 1700hrs. After buying that 750J with the full package I dont want another one without it. Its worse than drugs 😆, but im getting to the point ive got a pile of nice iron. 

Skeans1

@nativewolf 
Here's what the cutters look like before the gullet is removed and rakers are ground.

nativewolf

Quote from: Skeans1 on March 04, 2021, 12:47:45 AM
@nativewolf
Here's what the cutters look like before the gullet is removed and rakers are ground.

What grinder are you using?
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Whatre the two pillars behind the cutter for?  Height gauging?
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

@mike_belben 
That's a cutter holder or lock as the carriage come into the wheel those pawls come to hold the cutter in place.

@nativewolf
That's an old Silvey Pro Sharp everything that's hand fell is cut with square. A square tooth cutter can be harder to sharpen vs a round but it's a faster smoother cutting chain.

mike_belben

Ahh so the posts cam forward into the sideplates? Is it automatic with the grinder head stroke or a separate function you have to do manually? 

Does the chain get advanced automatic or manually?
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

@mike_belben 
The head doesn't move on a square grinder the chain comes into the wheel vs a round that the grinder wheel comes to the chain. The locking pawls are cable actuated by the same level that pulls the slide in and out from the wheel. To grind I have a screw on one end that brings the slide towards the wheel.

PoginyHill

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Skeans1

@PoginyHill 
I can sit down one evening and video what it's like doing a chain as well as the setup of the grinder.

ehp

I built 3 pro sharps to make racing chains with . Alot of work to make the machine do the correct angles . You have to make the spot the tooth hits the wheel be alot further around the wheel to make up for the wheel being round . 1 of the machines is in canads but the of 2 are in the USA . 

cutterboy

I cut a good sized red oak yesterday. It was leaning heavily over the field so was under a lot of stress and would not make good lumber so it is firewood. You can see in the last picture that the pith was not centered and that means it probably wouldn't make good lumber. But boy, the first 12 feet of the stem looked pretty nice laying down. :-\

Happy cutting.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

newoodguy78

Tacotodd

Yes it will. Red oak does in general, at least by hand!
Trying harder everyday.

Bruno of NH

Do the solar. 
Helped my plumbing and heating budy build and off grid cabin.
The place don't miss a beat.
Has storage batteries,  full gas boiler, gas soapstone heater (none electric) and wood heat. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

BargeMonkey

You only need .84 lds per day to do 300ld a yr 😆 I got 4 today...

That hood loader has swung more wood than most men will ever cut.

☝️☝️☝️....😆😆😆..... and the people think nothing of it. Feed the white birch monster again this weekend, log buyer tried to buy the ones I had in the pile, i was like 750 a mdft ? 🤷‍♂️ Nope I will firewood it 😆 ive got beautiful decent white birch here, all going thru a cordking, the guy pays me very well.... i actually bought a 2040 Multitek with XX loads of wood, now, if you buy wood from me in quantity I will supply a processor, firewood king cant see the long game. 🤷‍♂️ 

mike_belben

Itd be cheaper to heat your house burning brand new clothes for cryin out loud.  Ppl are idiots. 

@so il logger  has me trying my luck at slick stumping.  I havent died yet, bonus!

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!