iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily Fabrication Thread

Started by mike_belben, January 29, 2018, 09:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Just figured it'd be handy for there to be a place where anyone can post up pics of what they built or broke this week, without it hijacking someones thread.

This is a dumper i made this week from a severely bent car trailer axle someone gave me that i shortened, and some wire decking and struts from a pallet rack, plus a chicom lift id welded a boat winch on years ago, and some conduit bracing to resist soak up the twist. 

Me and my son have been cutting and splitting OWB fuel for an old man on his pasture and my truck just cant drive out there, but his 4wd quad can so itll solve that problem.  I only get paid if the wood comes out and gets dumped in a carport.  Small loads to keep from tearing up the field.

Not a terrible place to work.
Praise The Lord

LeeB

And here I thought by the title it was going to be a place to tell lies.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Resonator

If it doesn't work as a wood hauler, you could make a mighty big catch and release possum trap! ;)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

sprucebunny

Panel cutter for 8mm polycarbonate greenhouse panels.

Edit: Didn't see this was in Forestry and Logging. Sorry I'm off topic  :-[

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

mike_belben

Quote from: Resonator on January 29, 2018, 11:00:13 AM
If it doesn't work as a wood hauler, you could make a mighty big catch and release possum trap! ;)

Id do better to bait it with a little copper wire and some meth tied to a 12gauge trigger! 
Praise The Lord

Puffergas

Tiny forwarder. Well, kind of a cross over. Cross between a skidder and a forwarder.

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

teakwood

Mike: Are you sure Walmart isn't missing some shopping carts?  :D :D
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

JesseA

Mike do you have pictures of making those ring chains you built for your tractor? What size round bar did you use for the rings?

mike_belben

Theyre not missing.  I know where they are. 

Man down man down

Jesse i will try to find pics.  I think 1/2 for the rings and 3/8 for the rest
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

One more project that will be wrapped up this week. Like anything I didn't ask around enough and bought a set of axles that needed more love than I knew about, what should have taken a few weekends took 3 months but it's done now, lack a few things and some new lights and she can be back in the woods. 

took some work to gut the old axles and suspension, all new brakes, cans, replaced every piece of air on the whole thing.

woodmaker

I love the idea of this thread: there are so many fabricators on this forum,and so many interesting ideas. It may force me to learn how to post pictures ;D
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Skeans1

My last project before we had to move our shovel.

Then cheap trick for bearing race removal run a good bead on the inside of the race I prefer tig for this myself but might can work as well.

mike_belben

Quote from: JesseA on January 29, 2018, 09:43:34 PM
Mike do you have pictures of making those ring chains you built for your tractor? What size round bar did you use for the rings?

Found em.. These are the jigs, one on each side of a cutoff, clamped in vice and had a torch holder and a rod holder so while i was working one the next was heating up. 

Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Then cheap trick for bearing race removal run a good bead on the inside of the race

Works great on valve seats and dry sleeves too.  Nice stick holster on the trailer.
Praise The Lord

Pclem

Gonna be a favorite thread for me too. Good idea Mike!
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

JesseA

Quote from: mike_belben on January 30, 2018, 08:35:17 AM

Found em.. These are the jigs, one on each side of a cutoff, clamped in vice and had a torch holder and a rod holder so while i was working one the next was heating up.

Did you bend the rings hot or cold?

Crusarius

Quote from: mike_belben on January 30, 2018, 08:35:17 AM

I don't know why I never thought of making my own chains. I think of making everything else

mike_belben

Red hot.  Dont bother trying to duplicate until you build either a wood fired or waste oil fired rod heater.   
Praise The Lord

firefighter ontheside

Technically finished this last week, but this is my log loader.  A chain connected to each end goes over a farm jack and lifts log up level with the mill and then I can roll it on with a hook.  I'm not much of a welder, so most of it was welded by a guy at the firehouse.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

mike_belben

Built bunks for when the basket is off, then headache rack and gear holsters. It passed the test, dumped real easy.  off to the cattle farm tomorrow with it.

Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Quote from: mike_belben on January 30, 2018, 08:39:00 AM
Then cheap trick for bearing race removal run a good bead on the inside of the race

Works great on valve seats and dry sleeves too.  Nice stick holster on the trailer.
Thanks Mike, I remember doing it on a set of sleeves in a JD engine a few years back with the dual shield wire learned really quick how hot that stuff burns. The stand was way over due it's not fun folding the heel rack and grapples under the cab having to worry if you're going to drag some cables a long with you.

bushmechanic

Well Mike I was looking at your trailer and the one puffergas was making and thinking to myself the rear axle that far back is going to put a lot of tongue weight on the ATV, which will take the weight off the front end making it hard to steer. Then I saw your solution in the front rack of the bike :D. Nice build and it's always good to have the kids involved.

teakwood

Mike, you build your own chains!? :o :o

Wow! thats ingenious smiley_thumbsup
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Stephen Alford

Great thread.  Judging from your posts you probably already have something that you use to handle those bigger blocks. If not....back in the " dark times" we used longer wood hooks.  Just a shovel  , the plastic handle helped keep hands warmer. When you stand straight just mark it at your ankle.  Light pipe over wood and then hook in wood.  Use two of them and place hooks in the "ends of the block"  .  Note..these puppies leave a mark. Not so bad if feet are frozen.  :D

logon

mike_belben

Man thats funny, i actually have a snow shovel handle and a scrap of rebar sitting there waiting for me to make one.

on solid ground this is my pickaroon. 

Unfortunately the ground is never solid and it doesnt really go in the woods.  And it DRINKS the gas.   I made the dump cart for lighter footprint work and yes it is a little tongue heavy for the quad with a crummy turn ratio -too much trail length- but thats a short term power unit.

I have this kubota still up north that actually pulls really well, sips diesel, has great steering brakes and an appropriate wheelbase to match the trailer.  It'll be converted into the TSI machine somewhat like stephens.  The existing spindles on the dumper will become the pivot for walking beams, and ill extend the back more so its a 6 post instead of 4 and the load moves back.  No point in it right now, quad wont pull that much. 

Also, the basket pivot uses ubolts that match the hole spacing of the unistrut welded under it.  can be moved back about a foot in 2 inch increments to adjust tongue weight and tipper effort.  I mostly wanted to test the hoist before bringing it to the job and embarassing myself.   
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!