iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily Fabrication Thread

Started by mike_belben, January 29, 2018, 09:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoginyHill

Quote from: Crusarius on February 03, 2021, 08:33:10 AMhow bout using a piece of steel roofing formed into a U for the sawdust trough
Double-walled culverts cut in half work well and the plastic is very slippery. I've used them for a firewood chute to the basement. I think they come as small as 10". I like Crusarius's idea of a one-way scraper or wiper.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Crusarius

I have no idea what one of those culverts would cost, but I am sure its not cheap.

edit: about 200$ for a 20' length of 12" from tractor supply. 

mike_belben

double corrugated culvert is a good idea too.  but i think if its single direction you'll have sawdust loaded up at the capped end.  i think it needs to be two directional or the wiper needs to be lifted out of the trough in one direction. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

and fwiw, lead conveyors in ranges are an oscillating tray.  basically a coated C channel as long as necessary, up to a few hundred feet,  that has an eccentric shaft spun by a motor to a toggle bar that shoves it.  almost like a vibratory screener except there is no fixed pivot.

link belt makes theirs on fiberglass reeds for the flexing motion.. its very slight.  but that lead just marches along into the drum at the end.  id say it was 30 yrs ago my dad installed the ones i maintained and neither of us never saw a major failure.  thats running 6 days a week 2 or 3 shifts long.  lead is just too heavy, sharp and full of fine powder for any belt, paddle or chain conveyance to last.  
Praise The Lord

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Crusarius

mike, for the small amount that would get pushed back it wouldn;t be a big deal to just put a bucket or something there to catch the little overflow. I would just make a solid link to the sawdust chute and a fixed scraper then deal with the little that is pushed back.

PoginyHill

Quote from: Crusarius on February 03, 2021, 09:25:51 AM
I have no idea what one of those culverts would cost, but I am sure its not cheap.

edit: about 200$ for a 20' length of 12" from tractor supply.
Menards has 8" dual wall 20ft section for $70, 10" for $100. I don't have a Menards within 500 miles, but they must be out there. I think I've bought bigger than 12" for around $200. That seems rather expensive for 12".
https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/pipe-fittings/culvert-pipe-accessories/corrugated-solid-dual-wall-plain-end-culvert-drainage-pipe/10gf20np/plumbing/pipe-fittings/culvert-pipe-accessories/corrugated-solid-dual-wall-plain-end-culvert-drainage-pipe/08gf20np/p-1444451523087.htm

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Crusarius

yea. I dunno where the nearest menards is to me. Bruno may be lucky though.

PoginyHill

I've not checked my local Tractor Supply. I've gotten culverts from a local dealer (they carry drainage stuff, septic tanks, fabric, etc...). I'm guessing a local retailer might be cheaper than TSC. 

Crusarius

could be. that was just a super quick google search. at least it answered my question

thecfarm

Them culverts come as small as 6 inches. The hardware store I work at sell them. They are called smooth bore.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crusarius

I need a 6' diameter one for a convection kiln experiment :)

snowstorm

why not what others have used. this may not be spelled right. pratz barn cleaner

Corley5

Sawdust blower on a bandmill in Sawmills and Milling (forestryforum.com)

Just one thread that comes up in a search of the FF using blower and mill as keywords.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ed_K

Sooner or later your going to have to work off that side of the mill ;D. Look at the dust blowers that Corley5 mentioned plus the setup that teakwood built.
Ed K

Bruno of NH

I'm going to give the blower a shot.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

g_man

Talking about a blower on your mill reminds me of the mill I used to use for softwood which is closed now. But since I brought in my logs in with a  dump truck he made me back into the blower outlet area to dump them so that the ends of the logs would stay clean and not get all muddy making it easy for him to check for rot. The first time I did that I left the door of the truck open while I unhooked the load straps. It was like being in a sawdust storm and when I got back in the truck the cab was 1/2 full of saw dust. Allen thought it was pretty funny. After that he turned the blower off for me.

gg

Hilltop366

A local garage left the window down a bit on a customers car during a blizzard, filled the car completely. Apparently the conditions were just right.

mike_belben

The corrupt impound lot/repair shop that DOT had me towed to (regional towing, middletown ny) was purposefully scraping the gravel lot with a wheel loader and piling the snow and gravels 8 feet high ontop the impounded cars so that no one could get them out while the huge daily charge racked up.  

Lord as my witness, one guy told me to back my trailer right into 2 other peoples cars, as in just push it right in between those two where it wouldnt fit.. I refused. I asked if they were in the scrap car business too ..he said something to the effect of 'no these are impounds but theyre gonna be scrap.'  I gave him a death stare and made it clear my trailer better get treated right.

When i went to retrieve it another guy was raking up all the snow he could get to put it ontop the cars.  One that was pulled out of that spot, probably for retrieval by the owner, had the whilole roof caved in, sunroof shattered and interior covered in gravel.   "Not responsible for damage" signs and clauses all over spell out immunity. the NYSP and court ensure they get away with it and all should be in prison.  The SP barracks has an impound lot where your stuff is supposed to go for free.  They raped me for around $2700 in "storage" for a month then falsified the documents to make a deal when i told them $2100 or shove that old rusty trailer up your..  

Im required to forgive them, but i wont cry if they all die slow and painful.  
Praise The Lord

brianJ

Quote from: mike_belben on February 06, 2021, 08:56:39 AM
The corrupt impound lot/repair shop that DOT had me towed to (regional towing, middletown ny) was purposefully scraping the gravel lot with a wheel loader and piling the snow and gravels 8 feet high ontop the impounded cars so that no one could get them out while the huge daily charge racked up.  

Lord as my witness, one guy told me to back my trailer right into 2 other peoples cars, as in just push it right in between those two where it wouldnt fit.. I refused. I asked if they were in the scrap car business too ..he said something to the effect of 'no these are impounds but theyre gonna be scrap.'  I gave him a death stare and made it clear my trailer better get treated right.

When i went to retrieve it another guy was raking up all the snow he could get to put it ontop the cars.  One that was pulled out of that spot, probably for retrieval by the owner, had the whilole roof caved in, sunroof shattered and interior covered in gravel.   "Not responsible for damage" signs and clauses all over spell out immunity. the NYSP and court ensure they get away with it and all should be in prison.  The SP barracks has an impound lot where your stuff is supposed to go for free.  They raped me for around $2700 in "storage" for a month then falsified the documents to make a deal when i told them $2100 or shove that old rusty trailer up your..  

Here is an example of qualified immunity.   Then there is civil asset forfeiture and the many false confessions due to police lying to suspects.     So police can lie, steal, and get away with it.      

78NHTFY

g-man: ya, but I bet the cab got a permanent air freshener treatment--the smell of spruce  :D :D.  How's this winter treating you up North?  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

mudfarmer

I'll put this one up here since it is sorta forestry related, in that it attaches to my 3pt winch :)

Really have been wanting a round bale spear that attaches to the winch and not the 3pt itself or the bucket. I am stubborn enough to just roll bales around in the snow by hand before taking the winch off, putting back on, etc. This is something that only gets used for 10min every 5-8 days.

Design constraints: $0, made from junk already lying around. This was complicated by 2ft of snow covering most of my junk so the inputs were even more limited :D

Some type of old axle (square on one end, tapered to threads on the other end w/ a keyway), chunk of pipe to sleeve it a ways, chunk of slightly bent 2" square tube for the receiver,  18" pipe nipple, two chunks of ubolt from F350 leaf spring replacement, angle iron, random chunk of heavy flat stock and some gusset plates that were scrap from some shearing. Add it all up in a snowstorm this morning and this gets puked out:

The solid bar and pipe it is sleeved with go all the way to the back of the 2" square that is in the receiver hitch so it could be welded front and back but this means not feasible to drill for a pin. Still need weld in two bolts in each of those top triangular plates that match up with the chain slots in the winch. Hard to tell in the pic but there is heavy angle iron v down underneath the spike. This is welded to the spike in the front and tapered to a point, also welded 8" along each bottom corner of the 2" tube that goes into receiver

The whole deal slides into the receiver, then just finger tighten nuts on the bolts through the chain slot so it can't slide out of the hitch or twist/rotate much :o

Would change some stuff on v2 but v1 works and temporary fixes last the longest as we know. Built in a snowbank during a snow storm with a 110v lincoln/flux core, flap disk and cutoff wheel...

g_man

Quote from: 78NHTFY on February 06, 2021, 10:41:40 AM
g-man: ya, but I bet the cab got a permanent air freshener treatment--the smell of spruce  :D :D.  How's this winter treating you up North?  All the best, Rob.
Permanent air freshener is right.
Doing good up here Rob, thanks. A good winter to get around in the woods so far. All the predicted big storms were fizzles for us here in the shadow of the White Mntns for coastal storms and no frigid weather either. So I'm just enjoying my normal winter spruce and fir thing. No schedules or dead lines - and a good thing too.

gg

FairFrank

Quote from: g_man on February 06, 2021, 07:08:56 PM
Quote from: 78NHTFY on February 06, 2021, 10:41:40 AM
g-man: ya, but I bet the cab got a permanent air freshener treatment--the smell of spruce  :D :D.  How's this winter treating you up North?  All the best, Rob.
Permanent air freshener is right.
Doing good up here Rob, thanks. A good winter to get around in the woods so far. All the predicted big storms were fizzles for us here in the shadow of the White Mntns for coastal storms and no frigid weather either. So I'm just enjoying my normal winter spruce and fir thing. No schedules or dead lines - and a good thing too.

gg
Poet of White mountains  ;D Don't you think pals that his winter is colder than previous?

Ed_K

Yes, we're into our 6th week of extra cold and light snow every other day :(. Always said that I couldn't go out if it was under 22°, now it's 30° before going out but it never gets that high >:(.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!