iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Foundation

Started by RKBA, October 22, 2004, 01:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKBA

Just wondering if anyone has built a log home on a wood foundation.  I have helped build several for stick built homes and really like the dryness and ease of finishing but am wondering if you can use one for a traditional hand peeled home.

Thanks,

Jeff

Timber_Framer

I've always used rock or concrete of some kind. Poured slab, piers, footings and block or stone foundation and once we built right on bed rock, but never wood. Now there's some guys not far from me that just built a cord wood timber frame and they poured footings, then built the foundation with a stackwall before placing their 10"x12" sill plates. It looks good but it's only five months old..we'll see how it goes this spring.

My concern with wood is always going to be about drainage. How long is that wood going to be in contact with water and how often? Because wood rots! I can show you rotted cedar, tamarack and even treated wood that was exposed to water too long or too often. If I were building in New Mexico or Arizona I may not be too concerned, but up here railroad ties rot!

I know that Jim is involved with a seminar this weekend so he may have a better answer for you Sunday night or Monday.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

stumpy

We built a log cabin on a wood foundation. We poured concrete piers than built a deck out of PT lumber resting on the piers. We then took our first course log, cut 1/4 pie out of it, and set the notch on the deck. It worked out great.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Jim_Rogers

Timber_Framer:
The guild conference is next weekend.

RKBA:
I must admit I've never heard of a wood foundation before. Can you describe what you mean to us?
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Buzz-sawyer

When I was in construction classes in college  :P way back in the stone age , we studied wood foundations, esentially , treated wood and plywood walls used in place of concrete....never seen them in practice though...........
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Tom

Southern yellow Pine heartwood that had crystalized the sap (Fat Lighter) was used in the 1800's and early 1900's for piers for buildings.  It and cypress hearts are very rot resistant.  

Some of those buildings have lasted until today without any damage to the piers.  As a percentage of survivors I'll bet the measurement isn't too good though.  Any sapwood acts as a medium for termites and even heartwood will eventually rot if the big man allows it.

I certainly wouldn't put a wood foundation on the ground with todays options.  Concrete Piers with termite shields remains a good option.  Joists and beams (sills) reaching across the piers must be good and strong too.  A building of most any size is HEAVY. :D

RKBA

Thanks to everyone for the info.  Here in Michigan most new homes are built on a basement.  The wood foundations I am referring to are a 2X6 or 2X8, 12 on center stud wall 9 to 10' tall with plywood on the outside.  All are .60 bury grade treated lumber.  The outside is usually wrapped in plastic to keep the wood from seeing moisture and help with drainage.   They are very dry with no dampness and are very easy to finish (roll in the insulation and drywall or put up tong and grove).  The only issue I could see is how to set the first course of logs.  Would you put the floor joists and deck on and set the first log on top?  I see with most masonry foundations the bottom course is bolted to start.  

Thanks again

Jeff

Timber_Framer

QuoteTimber_Framer:
The guild conference is next weekend.

oops :-/
I guess I know where you'll be next weekend ;D
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

beenthere

The treated wood foundations (my son built a new house on one two years ago) have been around for 30+ years, and hold up very well, if put in according to certain specs.  Very warm walls in a cold climate, and great to finish off the 'basement' with 6-8" insulation in the walls, and cover with drywall. The basement is dry compared to a concrete wall and floor basement.
The floor structure is important that it is the top member holding the walls out against the back-filled dirt against the foundation. I have heard that is the one major amateur mistake during construction.  There is info on the net regards treated wood foundations. Worth looking into if in an area that supports them (Msp-St.Paul is one of them).  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

slowzuki

In Canada they are called PWF or Permanent Wood Foundations.  There is one in one area of my parents house, it is about 20 years old and holding fine.

Personally I'm not keen but the 200 year old house up the road just had its sills replaced for the first time last year.  They were just laying on the ground, in a very wet area, not treated or anything.

breederman

I don't come over on this board much.  we built a log home on a wood foundation as described. put on the floor and overhang the logs some.The key is drainage, drainage, drainage! Let us know how the house is coming.
Together we got this !

ARKANSAWYER

I put timber framed cabins on wood frames off of stumps.  I hear that the Court House in New Orleans is sitting on cottom bales.  I have seen houses sitting on black locust just laying on the ground but I bet more then not rotted away.  A little stone and bug spray will go along way in keeping your building sound for many many years.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Hoop

There are only a few treated wood foundations/basements built in this area.  
One of the greatest disadvantages to treated wood foundations/basements is their resale value.  Its horrendous.  The very few houses that use treated wood for its foundation/basement have languished, unsold, for years.....and the seller must significantly reduce the asking price to get even chance of the thing selling.

I knew of a co-worker that built a log home on a treated wood basement that he built.  He had huge problems with it.  Seems one of the walls started to bow because of the weight.  In fairness however, I'd have to think the co-worker created the problem himself......as he the type of person that is always "hurry up, hurry up--got no time to do it right" type of people.

I'm not saying the product is good or bad.  I am saying it will be difficult to sell at a fair price!

I considered using a treated wood foundation/basement on my house.  Resale value was why I went with poured concrete/block.  

breederman

A P.W.F. that is engineered or designed properly has no problem with the load or stresses.Ours is under 10 inch white pine logs and has an uneven backfill due to the walkout nature of the basement on one end.It has never moved or settled.A big advantage is that anyone with carpentry skills can build one.Just like anything else,however, poor workmanship will result in a poor result.

p
Together we got this !

bighoss550

there is a big advantage to seting your sills on the floor level above a wood foundation. you can run your all-thread down through the courses, and into the basement where there is a big washer and nut on the end. every 6 mo u can go down and all u have to do is open up a little "cabinet" door (that u install in the top of the wall over the adj.) and tighten up the walls for setling and compression.
i've only built on 1 my self (with concrete footer and diag bracing on the exterior), but i have helped on a few. it makes a lot of things nice but it has it problems too, like anything i guess

Thank You Sponsors!