iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

7/16 OSB for panneling in man cave?

Started by gspren, October 05, 2022, 07:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

Any reason to not use OSB? This is for a room in a corner of my pole building, will have a mini-split for heating and cooling, doesn't need to look like an "in house" finish. I would probably paint the ceiling not sure about the walls. Walls will be adorned with old tools, antlers, fishing rods, etc. OSB is now back down to under $15. so can't think of any cheaper way, 24 sheets would do 4 walls and ceiling. Does it take paint well?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

newoodguy78

I went on a hunting trip in Maine quite a few years ago. Cabins we stayed in had osb interior walls and ceilings, that were just clear polyurethaned. Up that way they called it Jackman paneling as that was the closest town.  :D It really didn't look too bad and they had used white pine flat casing for all the trim. Whoever put it up did a nice job. 

I put it up on the ceiling on the second floor of the store here and painted it white. That was 3 years ago and it's holding up well. Takes a lot of abuse too as it's actually and old post and beam barn that the rafters come right down to the floor and it's used for a storage/work area. 

firefighter ontheside

I worked summers in MN at a canoe outfitter.  EVERYTHING was OSB.  The walls and ceilings in all of our cabins, including the cabin that I lived in for the summer.  The shower house was all OSB.  The outfitter building was all OSB.  It's usually made with lines painted on it to show where to nail for the roof.  Might want to put it up backwards for paneling, especially if you're gonna use a clear finish or no finish at all.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

If the building is tight I'd put something on it. It has a persistent eau that isn't oh so great.

gspren

Quote from: Don P on October 05, 2022, 08:30:50 PM
If the building is tight I'd put something on it. It has a persistent eau that isn't oh so great.
Would a coat or two of paint be enough? Anything wrong with latex?

newoodguy78

FWIW latex is what I used here and it covered the osb smell. Like Don said the aroma of osb is not a pleasant one in my opinion. 

beenthere

Quote from: gspren on October 05, 2022, 08:44:50 PM
Quote from: Don P on October 05, 2022, 08:30:50 PM
Would a coat or two of paint be enough? Anything wrong with latex?
Depending on the makeup of the OSB, you may get some swelling of the wood fibers with latex paint. Best try some test samples first. 
What do you know about the OSB that is available at this low price? And for your intended use, it may not make any difference to you. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

over time some layers may peel.  we did some osb covered with 1/4 inch ERC.  may prime with Zinzer Kilz primer that is whit then paint.  

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

I heard a local legend about a guy that worked in one of the OSB mills, he built a house and used OSB for EVERYTHING. Paneling, siding, even trim was strips of OSB🤦‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

scsmith42

Personally I don't care for the look of OSB, painted or not! 

To each their own though.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Don P

What I like about it though, it is a great nail base for panelling. You can block as needed behind it and then run patterns in any direction.

gspren

Quote from: beenthere on October 05, 2022, 09:11:09 PM

What do you know about the OSB that is available at this low price?
The local Home Depot and Lowes list OSB at at a bit over $15 so with my Veteran discount would be under. I will check with my local lumber yard as they are often competitive and deliver free. They have given me contractors discount in the past and I hope they still do.

Raider Bill

Around here they will not give veterans discount on lumber or appliances.
Like Don P said if you don't like it then it will make a great base for whatever you want to cover it with.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

gspren

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 06, 2022, 09:34:35 AM

Unless there was a change I've gotten the discount on both lumber and appliances. I hope the local lumber yard will match or get close because they will back in my pole building and dump it right by the room.

beenthere

Quote from: gspren on October 06, 2022, 09:05:13 AM
Quote from: beenthere on October 05, 2022, 09:11:09 PM

What do you know about the OSB that is available at this low price?
The local Home Depot and Lowes list OSB at at a bit over $15 so with my Veteran discount would be under. I will check with my local lumber yard as they are often competitive and deliver free. They have given me contractors discount in the past and I hope they still do.
Meant "what do you know about the OSB?". Truly OSB (oriented strand board) with quality stamp, etc. 
Box stores are not above running cheap product lots for sale at attractive sale prices. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kantuckid

Why 7/16"? My shop ceiling is 1/4" and been painted white for light since day one. It's not there for looks nor are the walls and floors of my shop.
 Serviceability!, not some sort of so-called, man-cave. 
The closest I come to "shop decor" is stapled newspapers from when the KC Royals one the world series, UK football teams and other sports pages I gleaned while masking off my AB jobs back when we had real newspapers.  :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

kantuckid

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 06, 2022, 09:34:35 AM
Like Don P said if you don't like it then it will make a great base for whatever you want to cover it with.
Lowes does give the VET 10%, HD does not but does have a veterans program for contractors in FT business. I used to get a Lowes contractor discount, they slowed that program down some years back. You sign up on Lowes website. It's a Lowes national program. It doesn't cover certain specials but mostly I get it on everything I buy there. If I check out online, it's done then, in store mines on my phone #. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Hilltop366

If it matters for building code or future resale or piece of mind check for minimum fire code requirements for your project and the ratings of potential sheathing and coatings.

If it does not matter, never mind. ;D

gspren

Quote from: kantuckid on October 07, 2022, 09:09:08 AM
Why 7/16"? My shop ceiling is 1/4"  :D
Simple answer is there isn't much price difference. 1/4 would be easier for the ceiling because of the weight but I like the walls to be heavier for mounting things.

Thank You Sponsors!