iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody know what would eat bodark / Osage orange ?

Started by hackberry jake, June 14, 2012, 01:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I have logs I need to mill and lumber that I have milled. I noticed today a few holes in each, with sawdust below the holes. The holes are between golf T and green bean size. Probably just a tat smaller than the average green bean. That's gotta be one confused bug to be eating bodark in the heart of a sweet gum forest!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

If I was an insect, I would rather eat Bodark than Sweetgum.   I hates Sweetgum.   smiley_thumbsdown
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kcwoodbutcher

Don't know what bug you have but every large osage I've cut was always full of carpenter ants.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

WDH

I don't believe that the tree has the same insect resistance while green as it does when dry.  There are some beetles that will bore into a green log that will not bore into a dry piece of the same wood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

I don't know wether to spray the boards or go for "unique". I have some live edge flitches or slabs or whatever u call em that are 3 and an 8th thick and 40" wide and 11' long. I don't really want to move them to spray them. Would spraying between the stickers work?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Tree Feller

Borers will infest Bois d' Arc just like any other wood. The larvae create some pretty large tunnels in both the sapwood and heartwood. I've found them 3-4 inches deep inside turning blanks.

I doubt that a topical spraying would be effective since the boards are already infested. Kiln drying would be the best way to kill them...get the lumber to 132 degrees throughout and they will be kaput.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!