iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2 wheel tractor

Started by dgdrls, February 14, 2020, 08:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

I have been fascinated by these for years,
The Asian/African markets get the pictured model and similar.
 From what I can find it's a Chinese built platform
with a Kubota diesel.
The European models, BCS and Grillo are much smaller.
It looks like an easy hitch mod to add
a Logrite arch to it and move firewood logs, etc.

Probably not an easy option for here in the states,
Gov't would have a day with anyone trying to import them

D

Sixacresand

I have a David Bradley two wheel tractor (from the fifties) in my lay down yard,  Needs engine and tires.  Sometimes I think about restoring it and use it around the mill.  But as long as I got something I can ride.......  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

gspren

I also had a David Bradley and they can be useful, there were many attachments made and they aren't too hard to find around here.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

WV Sawmiller

Gravely made them for many years also IIRC.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

I have a Gravely from '72.  It replaced an older one.  Can be trick with a trailer.  The trailer designed for them was shorter tongue so you could sit on the front of it to steer.  

millwright

When I was a kid we had one with a crank start Wisconsin motor. Once you got it started it was a pretty handy machine , had a rear tine tiller attachment that was a real beast, really powerful unit

Resonator

That set up with the log trailer I don't think would be safe.  :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Sixacresand

Montgomery Ward had a model with a reverse. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

tree-farmer

Dad had one. Had a trailer, plow, disk and a sickel bar mower. Great machine. Dad flipped it off a 8 ft bank once and broke one of its wheels off. We were able to find parts and it was good as new. Not sure what ever became of it after I left home. Handy machine for small 10 acre farm.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

moodnacreek

Oh yeah, just grab right ahold of an old D.B. and hang on. When I was 16, had one with a 48" rotary, mow the whole place in one hour. Them handle bars come around quick and can getcha in the ribs.

Kindlinmaker

Neighbor had one when I was but a wee lad.  Don't remember the brand but it was bit smaller than the one pictured. The real memory was it would tend to lose traction when plowing in the rocky mountin ground so the wife would come out and climb up on for a bit more weight. Well into her 70s with the home sewn farm dress and apron. Couldn't have weighed much more than 100 but it seemed to work for them. One of those memories you'll never forget. 
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

Al_Smith

My dad had a Husky brand that is nearly as old as me .Little tractor type  tires .It has cultivators,a seeder and little plow shares he never used .It's in my shop ,not stuck and would probably start .
It was comical .Having sat all winter it would never start .Dad would belt it up to a reel type mower and wind it up .Eventually it would fire right up and after that the rest of the season always start .I suppose the points might have been stuck or something .
It was handy,5 kids and a half acre garden .My word as a ten year old a row of green beans to weed 100 feet long looked about like a  mile long .

47sawdust

I owned a Gravely for a while,always seemed like I should wear full body armor. :laugh:
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

samandothers

One of the down sides of the front bush hog on a Gravely in tall grass was  you never knew what you might step on that was uncovered by the mower.  I have danced over a couple of copperheads!  

Al_Smith

Those early Gravelys were built like battle ships .A number of options on the front drive attachments,sickle bar,rotary mower .Could be a rider with a sulky .They still fetch good money at auctions.
My old bud Kent,RIP had a very early one with a single coged cast iron drive wheel with the engine inside the wheel he totally restored including a silk screen logo .It had adjustable rear steel wheels .It brought over $600 at the auction after his passing which was 25 years ago .It was more an actual "garden tractor " .
An interesting note on that .Kent restored a lot of things most people would not bother with .One example was a Waukesha 4 cylinder stationary engine circa 1930's .The rings were shot .I got him a set from a Ford 2.3 liter HSC engine that had just been taken out of production that fit perfectly .With this stuff you just never know .

ESFted

I earned pocket money with my dad's Gravely back in the day.  Mowing lawns and plowing driveways with that beast made me a believer in two wheeled tractors.  I've been looking at these BCS units for years, ever since I saw them doing heavy duty agricultural work in Italy.  IMO they are the Mercedes-Benz of garden tractors.  This one can easily haul a ride behind trailer and if you mount that kind of seat on the tongue of a log arch, it should work just as well.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

stavebuyer

Quote from: ESFted on February 15, 2020, 10:26:20 AM
I earned pocket money with my dad's Gravely back in the day.  Mowing lawns and plowing driveways with that beast made me a believer in two wheeled tractors.  I've been looking at these BCS units for years, ever since I saw them doing heavy duty agricultural work in Italy.  IMO they are the Mercedes-Benz of garden tractors.  This one can easily haul a ride behind trailer and if you mount that kind of seat on the tongue of a log arch, it should work just as well.
That thing looks pretty handy.

Klicker

I have a BCS I love it.. It came with a snowblower a plow  Tiller 42 inch mower and a chipper. It has an Achme motor.
2006 LT 40 HD

moodnacreek

I make fun of the old walking tractors, today. I would never to someone working the land with what they could get their hands on. My grandfather loved his planet junior and a gravely with snow blower. The planet j. was a cultivator that would go thru corn too high for the cub [that replaced old Tom]. My wife used to run it. We also had a national mower sickle bar, the big one, and my mother would use it. A real man killer. There are a lot of men who would do neither.

Sixacresand

I captured this photo from a youtube video about Cambodia. Seems to be popular in Asia. 

<br

Al_Smith

You have to hand it to some of those Asian -Pacific  rim countries .They are every bit as creative as the Amish with what they have to work with .

Thank You Sponsors!