iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling in SOuthern NH

Started by bikodoggy, January 11, 2013, 11:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikodoggy

Hi all and happy New Year.  I am new to the FF but am very encouraged by the wealth of experience (and humor) that I am seeing.  My thread is really selfish so let me explain:

I am contemplating buying a portable mill, but wanting to see one in action.  I live on about 4 mostly wooded acres and am prone to taking the odd tree down.  I have three 18-22" logs now sitting on the edge of my driveway and dreaming about making them into lumber for kids tree house rather than cutting them up and toting into the back woods or (shudder) paying .10 pound for taking it to my local transfer station.

SO...my dilemma is that there does not seem to be any portable mill service people less than 90 miles away.  Spot me in Amherst, NH and please respond if you or someonw you know offers this type of service in my area.  I am also a potential mill buyer, but will save that for another thread.

Many thanks for any info.

Tyler
Keep it sharp!

beenthere

bikedoggy
Welcome to the Forestry Forum

The mill 90 miles away, did that come from the database on this Forum? 

Any access to a trailer to haul the logs to a mill...hopefully closer than 90 miles but that can be done too. ;)

Our database shows a mill in Weare, NH   looks like 19 miles.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

bikeodoggy,welcome to the forum. The data base beenthere is talking about is way up in the upper right corner. Looks like a mill is much closer than you thought. There will be a logging Expo in Bangor,Maine in May. Next year it will be in Vermont,Essec?? This is the place to look at sawmills. Many to see at the shows.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    bikodoggy.

Wood-Mizer also has a newly implemented "Pro Sawyer Network", and may be able to locate a nearby sawyer and also provide a sawing demo for you:  Pro Sawyer Network
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bikodoggy

Thanks all.  I think I tried to contact the mill in Weare, NH, but phone num was bad.  I don't have access to log transport, so that is tough.  There is a yard about 4 mi away, but they don't transport.  I may just get some help and shove them in the back of the pick-up (or borrow a trailer) and drop them over there.  Bummer that it is so hard to find one around here.  Perhaps I just need to broaden my network.

Appreciate the input.
Tyler
Keep it sharp!

torqueporting

There are two circular mills in Pelham NH that historically cut logs for others. Both on Mammoth Rd.

A band saw on the Hudson/Pelham Line who has a log truck and was a member on this site, gos by woodmills1. I suspect he is still on the site.   

In Londonderry NH there is a saw mill at the intersection of Nashua Rd and RTE 102.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

There are some very good Demo Videos on "You Tube" of Sawmills.....I use to watch them and still do.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

woodmills1

hello

james mills

woodmills lumber

hudson NH

LT 70
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
You're on the right site for answers and information.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Sawdust Lover

Welcome bikodoggy... I am from southern Vermont and now in Va. but I know a guy in Westminster West near Putney. I only know his last name is King and he saws for others.

pnyberg

I'm not sure who's 90 miles from you.  Google maps is telling me that I'm 99.  I've gone that far, but I don't mill in New Hampshire.

There's a couple of guys in NE Mass, way closer than 90 miles, but at less than 15 miles, James Woods is clearly the place to start.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

--Peter
No longer milling

bikodoggy

Thanks again for all the replies - I have located a guy in New Boston (Tom) who is sawing (stationary for winter) for .25 bf. 

Now I have to figure out how to get my logs over there.  THinking I can get a couple in my pu truck with neighbors tractor, but thinking about getting a trailer.

Short of a grapple, can anyone suggest a nifty way to load 16"-22" logs that won't kill me (or anyone who is willing to help)?
Winch? Comealong?  Tractor would be best, I suppose.  These are on the short side at  6-10 ft long.

Much obliged for any recommendations.

Keep it sharp!

torqueporting

I would get a trailer. Logs that large can easily cause damage to a truck bed.

I wrap a chain around the log about three feet from one end of the log then pick the log up with the front bucket of a 580 back hoe. The liter side of the log will lift until it hits the heel of the bucket then the heavy side lifts. This method does not work well on off camber ground. Gravity will take the heavy end left or right.

It also does not work well with small tractors.

woodmills1

maybe I am confused

today I got a phone call from
tyler who represented himself as you from this post???????

and I said I could pick up your logs for a flat $40 on my way back from the concentration yard I use in Milford and that my last 3 pine jobs have come in under $.25per bd ft

I do charge by the hour

I am confused ???

If it was you at least give the forum and me the courtesy of saying you spoke with me

If you go with another sawyer that is fine but     ???
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

bikodoggy

My cup runneth over....

I had a very good conversation with woodmills1 earlier this week in Hudson, NH the second sawyer I have now come in contact with.  Sorry I did not mention that previously.  In fact, as you can see, have a few other contacts who may offer viable alternatives as well.

First guy was sawing by the BF so I am still getting my head around the hourly rate, but I think I can see that being even better when a sawyer can get through it quickly.

Thanks again very much for all the input; I have a lot to learn.

Keep it sharp!

bikodoggy

Torqueporting,

Thanks for the suggestions on loading and cautionary note on small tractors.

Have been looking at dump trailers etc.

BTW - woodmizer pro sawyer network went out of their way to find correct phone numbers for me.  First few were bad, but they kept at it finally connecting one.  I reckon this is an invaluable service for you pros who want to have your businesses out there.

Check this on log trailers - dunno who this guy is, but his trailer is pretty neat.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nli3C6sh5XA

Keep it sharp!

beenthere

For loading logs, I like the DanG-Deadheader method for simpler and more efficient.

For unloading, the side dump looks great.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!