iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lucas mill

Started by clairmont, December 02, 2015, 07:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clairmont

Hi how wide of a cut do you make at a time with a 8-30 lucas;hard vs soft wood, always afraid the blade will lose tension if I take full 8'' at once; thanks

dgdrls

Hi Clairmont,

Full 8" with blade vertical hard or soft species

I have made 6" cuts with the blade horizontal in walnut just to see how it would do, it was fine.
Typically on an 8" cut horizontal  I'll split the cut and make two 4" passes.
I also place wedges when I'm making the second 4" cut, it keeps the
sawn board from potentially pinching the blade.

Dan

longtime lurker

½ the width and all the depth in most species... You'll find it quicker to saw taking two  4" passes horizontally then labour ialong in a single 8" wide cut.

1/3 the width and ½ the vertical in Northern Red Ironbark, Jitta, Ironwood, Atherton Ironwood, and Clarksons Bloodwood.... But I doubt you'll run across that little lot too often.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Ianab

You can probably nurse the mill through an 8" cut, but it's more practical to race though 2 x 4" cuts in less time. Easier than dealing with the horizontal bouncing etc.

The ironwood / bloodwood that LL is talking about is about an order of magnitude harder than Live Oak or anything that you will meet in the US. It's stuff that throws sparks off chain saws when it's dry. They have trees called Ironbark because when the early settlers hit them with an axe, it bounced .  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

clairmont

hey,thanks a lot for the answers,I agree completly.

wkf94025

Quote from: longtime lurker on December 03, 2015, 03:47:30 AM
½ the width and all the depth in most species... You'll find it quicker to saw taking two  4" passes horizontally then labour along in a single 8" wide cut.

1/3 the width and ½ the vertical in Northern Red Ironbark, Jitta, Ironwood, Atherton Ironwood, and Clarksons Bloodwood.... But I doubt you'll run across that little lot too often.

Quote from: Ianab on December 03, 2015, 04:55:46 AM
You can probably nurse the mill through an 8" cut, but it's more practical to race though 2 x 4" cuts in less time. Easier than dealing with the horizontal bouncing etc.

The ironwood / bloodwood that LL is talking about is about an order of magnitude harder than Live Oak or anything that you will meet in the US. It's stuff that throws sparks off chain saws when it's dry. They have trees called Ironbark because when the early settlers hit them with an axe, it bounced .  :D

I have a Lucas 7-23 gas mill, and have had a blast with Doug Fir, Redwood, and white oak over the past year.  Timbers, siding, slabs, etc.  Picking up several stout logs of Eucalyptus Sideroxylon (aka Red Ironbark) on Friday.  In no rush to break circular blades and slabbing chains with it, but looking forward to seeing how it looks in slab and timber form.  A bit surprised to see it here in NorCal, based on what I read on the internet (Australia primarily).

Lucas 7-23 swing arm mill, DIY solar kilns (5k BF), Skidsteer T76 w/ log grapple, F350 Powerstroke CCSB 4x4, Big Tex 14LP and Diamond C LPX20 trailers, Stihl saws, Minimax CU300, various Powermatic, Laguna, Oneida, DeWalt, etc.  Focused on Doug Fir, Redwood, white and red oak, Claro walnut.

Ben07

Yes, thanks to all who answered, good info for newbies like me.
I appreciate.

Ben

Thank You Sponsors!