iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust/chips in your boot tops

Started by Brad_bb, June 12, 2019, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Now that warmer weather is upon us, I'm switching to wearing shorts while milling/working.  It just gets too hot in long pants.  The problem is getting sawdust in the top of my boot.  Mostly it's while chainsawing, like cutting up slabs, or trimming logs.  The chips get all jammed in the top of the boot and it's uncomfortable.  I think what I need is some kind of chaps that has elastic on the top and drapes over the top of the boot.  Can't find anything like it on the web.  I guess I'll have to make it?  I guess I'll look like one of those native dancers with the tassels on the feet? I don't care as long as it keeps stuff out of my boot and I'm not overheating.  And safety sally, I don't need to hear that I shouldn't be chainsawing in shorts.  I can wear my chainsaw chaps over them if need be, and I would if I were going to doing a bunch of cutting, but for one cut her or there, I'm not going to suit up.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Chuck White

This idea won't cost you much, but get a pair of "tube socks" that come up above the calf, cut the foot part off so all you have is the tube part, pull that on over your boots and it should shed the sawdust and shavings so they can't get into your boots!  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

What about chainsaw pants? They are a lot lighter than chaps.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

lxskllr

Gaiters?

I never wear shorts. Long pants keep the bad old sun of my lovely alabaster legs, and I like the protection against bugs and scratchy things. I'd suggest some nice summer weight BDUs/ACUs.

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Old Greenhorn

As much as I am tempted to wear shorts when working like that (cutting the lawn, sure), I just can't. I hate chips and stuff in my socks, getting knocked shins, all the bugs, and the mess that gets on my legs. Heck, even with 10" loggers boots and pants, you should see my shins (well, maybe not :D), they are all scarred up with dents and dings from rocks, stumps, trips, catches on the corner or edges of the mill, you name it.
 What I do in the summer is I wear those cotton uniform work pants like machinists (I are one) or mechanics wear.  They are light, dry really fast, and take a beating. Some of mine are over 25 years old and still going. Also, they are comfortable, although I notice that after about 20 years, the waist shrinks and some don't fit anymore. ;D
 Otherwise, gaiters or sock tops might work, but you will look like you were dressed by a FF committee on a bad day. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crusarius

I wore a pair of full wrap stihl chaps at boonville when I was test driving a saw. I was wearing shorts and low top sneakers. I did not get anything in my sneakers. felt really nice having the backside ventilated but still having the protection on the front. Really comfortable to.

unfortunately at the time I was only looking and did not buy the chaps. I sure wish I had cause the ones I have now I am not a huge fan of.

randy d

Want to be as helpful as I can but you could wrap Duck tape around your boot and attach it to your leg should work once at least. all ways helpful Randy

doc henderson

ace wrap could work and potentially be re-useable.  or "coban"  a paper crepe wrap that sticks to itself but not other things. can get in first aid sections.  or welding sleeves.  or the mil boot covers 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jmouton

i like the flip flop idea :D :D :D
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

YellowHammer

Brad, use your socks you that you are already wearing, as long as they are still elastic.  

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does logyard chainsaw work in shorts and getting a wad of sawdust in you boots not only is uncomfortable, but the sawdust sticks to the isnide lining and is diffuct to get out.

So I wear normal decently high work socks, and when I'm going to fire up the saw, just roll the top of the sock down over your boot top and laces like a gaiter, covering all the cracks up.   Be sure to leave some of the folded sock still up on you calf or ankle and is not bunched up to catch sawdust, but smoothed out.

When done, there will be a little sawdust ring between your leg and the top of the sock where it is folded over and the rest will fall to the ground, and not in your boot.  So then pull the sock down a half inch or so and wipe the sawdust off your sweaty leg.  

I sawed up about 15 cookies Saturday, and I was ankle deep in sawdust, and when I was done I wiped off my leg, rolled my sock top off my boot tops and laces, and went back to selling wood.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Stephen1

I once saw a Female chain saw carver who used bandana's around her boot tops.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

rubberfish

Quote from: jmouton on June 12, 2019, 08:24:41 PM
i like the flip flop idea :D :D :D
Yup. Me too.  ;D
Although i don't think I could ever do it.  :-\
I bought pants. They seem to be long enough to prevent my boots from filling right up at least.
I knew if I bought chaps and I took 'em off for any reason, I'd be sawing without chaps and in shorts.
Lots of good ideas thrown out there. You'll find something that ends up working for ya. Be safe.
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

hopm

Southside

Sawdust aside, I manage to drop enough 16' boards that I sure appreciate my Deluth jeans and composite toe boots I wear when sawing, no matter how miserable hot it is.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

Brad
I wear shorts every chance I get even in the winter. 
I'm not a long pants guy.
It might be the reason why I have always been self-employed. 
I have ran the chain saw many times in shorts, rode my Harley without a helmet. 
I don't know if I ever get back into riding , I will ride without a helmet.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

doc henderson

here is a pic of the coban wrap.  non adhesive, sticks to itself.

Trauma knee high boots/shoe covers.

Nurse shaking her bootie at work.   8)

< br>

:) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Al_Smith

I'm not short pants guy unless I'm sitting near the beach with cool one watching the beach bloom--- old school,blue jeans and work boots even in 90 degree weather .

caveman

This is a common annoyance for me also.  I usually wear 8" work boots and ankle socks so I make a lot of cuts on the top of the bars so most of the chips spray away when wearing shorts.

The problem with wearing flops or some other kind of sandals is the sawdust gets between my foot and the insole.  It feels a lot like having sand in my  shoes (Orange Blossom Special) which is just about as annoying as having saw chips in the top of my boots.  Safety is also a concern for some folks although we don't wear steel fingered gloves - might explain my black thumbnails.  I have worn chainsaw chaps with shorts and they do reduce the chips in the boots.
Caveman

Al_Smith

I know it's a bone of contention but to me short parts and sandals  are not a safe work attire .Unless you are selling time shares in Florida or something .

SwampDonkey

I always wear the pants, and cuffs down over boots. We have brooms to dust off the sawdust and washing machines up here to wash sweaty pants. Not many shortcuts. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

I just peal them off in the garage and run around in my BVD's which is a tad chilly in January .Makes one not dilly dally .

Brad_bb

@Tom King 
thanks for the link. I hadn't had time to try to make something so I just ordered a pair of those.  I'll let everyone know how they worked out after I get them.  They look like they are just spandex tube.  I don't have any spandex or I could sew them.  On the other hand you need to stretch the spandex as you sew a zig zag stitch, and I can't do that very well.  So better to buy and try.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

In the past I believe that @Peter Drouin posted using cut off socks to prevent sawdust intrusion.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!