iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hickory syrup

Started by LeeB, March 05, 2010, 02:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Lindy was telling me on the phone that she read an article about making syrup from hickory sap. The article said shag bark worked best. Said you do it just like tapping a maple. Anybody ever heard of this before?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Sure, why not? It's sugar content isn't as high as sugar maple, but you'll get sap. Need good freeze thaw cycles though, 20 to 40 F in that range is best. If the sap starts getting cloudy as it exits the tree it's not so good unless filtered. Here we used to quit when it turned that way. Just used to boil on the electric stove, but some hard on the elements. Wish I had some good sized yellow birch. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JimMartin9999

What ? Can you make syrup brom yellow birch , too? 
What other trees are good for syrup?
Jim

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Two-Lady-Sawyers

What dia. would the yellow birch and butternut have to be?
Politically incorrect (LH feed) Foley-Belsaw M14 W/mods, Ford Ranger 4cyl 4sp power plant, Oliver Super 88RC, 93 Ford F150 4x4, Echo CS530, Echo CS306, Half finished log arch

tmroper

SwampDonkey,
A friend of mine married a young lady from canada and she got me spoiled on Maple syrup.  I can't even hardly stand the imitation stuff anymore.  I have even been known  to make a roadtrip up to the border to buy a fresh batch. 

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Two-Lady-Sawyers on March 05, 2010, 12:35:53 PM
What dia. would the yellow birch and butternut have to be?

Personally, I wouldn't tap a tree under 12".

Quote from: tmroper on March 05, 2010, 01:02:39 PM
A friend of mine married a young lady from canada and she got me spoiled on Maple syrup.  I can't even hardly stand the imitation stuff anymore.  I have even been known  to make a roadtrip up to the border to buy a fresh batch. 

You got it bad. :D But, this isn't fake in anyway. It's just not maple syrup and I hope no one expects it to have maple flavoring. Come on now. :D :D :D ;)

Your yellow birch will have a hint of molasses. ;)

tmroper

Swampdonkey
When I said I can't hardly take the imitiation stuff anymore I am referring to the maple flavored corn syrup you get in the grocery store.   ;D

SwampDonkey

I knew that, but I couldn't help myself. An emotional earth weakness of mine.  ;)

SwampDonkey

I have a yellow birch in the back yard, a spile and need to find a bucket for some birch sap. Today is going to be a good sap run. ;D I'm gonna set a 3 gallon caner under the spigot, boil'r down in the shop. :D

SwampDonkey

I did some further reading and it seems the yellow birch begins to run later than the maples. Today the maples are leaking sap about anywhere there is a fresh break or wound. The yellow birch is still dry. Some accounts say that the boiling process removes the wintergreen taste, as the methyl salicylate that makes the flavour is volatile. In boiling, looks like it can take from 125 litres up to 200 litres of yellow birch sap to get 1 litre of syrup. If I ever get any boiled down I'll let ya know. That's a lot of boiling. ;D :D

Some people talk about making yellow birch wine to. ;D

tmroper

I look forward to hearing how that turns out.

Reddog

Just watch you don't burn the birch syrup. It has a lower scorch point than maple.

DanG

Well now that y'all have barked up wrong trees of other species ::) , I'll tell ya what I found out about the subject of this discussion.  It turns out that you don't make it from the sap at all.  Hickory syrup is made by boiling a large quantity of hickory bark in water.  You boil it all day, then strain out whatever liquid is left, add sugar, and boil it some more.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2646/
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I'm so sorry for you folks.  It must be really bad up there.  I new that Michigan was in trouble, but I didn't realize it was the whole of Canada too.  I hadn't realized that y'all had resorted to eating trees. I've got some friends that might have a little cane syrup left over from the boilings last fall.  They might see it in their heart to send some up that way.  Do you need anything substantial, like meat or potatoes grits?   I'll get on the phone with the Red Cross and Salvation Army First thing in the morning.  :-\

WDH

We all may have to start eating trees  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Dang, why would you go through that mess, when you could just boil the sap? Don't expect the same flavour maybe. Perhaps they never reasoned that hickory makes sap to. :D Sure is an interesting process, thanks for looking it up. Now we know what some folks mean by hickory syrup. ;) According to Lee's wife she did read an article, it was the sap being boiled for the syrup. But, you can't believe all you read I suppose. I know how I'd make it though. ;) 

WDH, never know. ;D

Don't drink raw sap if it's gone cloudy and not too much otherwise unless you want a laxative. ;D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Reddog on March 06, 2010, 06:28:22 PM
Just watch you don't burn the birch syrup. It has a lower scorch point than maple.

I was thinking it might with all that extra boiling. Will have to watch closely.  ;)

Make any?

Reddog

Some friends in AK would make it every once and a while. I have always seen it made from paper birch sap.
I see the pro's have started using reverse osmosis to remove most of the water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch_syrup

SwampDonkey

I also see them baking birch beer by distilling the black birch sap.  Well, if they can do it with black birch, so can they with yellow. Can I borrow your still? :)

I'm just an old fashioned pro, not too sophisticated either. :D

bitternut

I cut quite a bit of black birch for firewood every spring and it runs sap like a burst garden hose. I like to cut it when the sap is running because the wood burns hotter. One of these days I will have to try making some syrup from a couple of the larger trees.

SwampDonkey

Same with yellow birch when we cut with brush saws, smells like a mint candy factory. ;D

Birch isn't running here yet, I have a tap in a 20" birch in the back yard.

bandmiller2

I thought the birch beer was made from the crushed twigs and small branches,of Betula Nigra black river birch does the yellow birch have the same flavor??Myself I like the bunker oil grade of maple syrup the cheaper dark stuff seems to have more flavor,the clear stuff is for tourests.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SwampDonkey

Yes it does on both counts. Yellow birch tastes like wintergreen, just as black birch (cherry birch) does. That's how you tell really young ironwood O Virginiana from yellow birch. When tree is older, bark is good enough. We don't have black birch in my region.

WDH

I love the smell of black birch, Betula lenta.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!