iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I used, tordon in residential setting, help!

Started by Yardworkman09, August 18, 2019, 10:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yardworkman09

Hello!  I just joined the board so I can learn a bit more about trees; we've had some bad luck since purchasing a property last year (tons of trees fell over, had to remove 4 of them right away).  I'm freaking out due to a mistake I think I made.

So, we had about 7 Crepe Myrtles on one side of our house that didn't get much light.  They made the area unusable and were pathetic looking.  So, the decision was made to cut them down.  Most were small, with a diameter of around 3" or less, one was around 7".  It was recommended to me that I use Tordon, which I did about 24-48 hours after the trees were cut down.  I drilled into the stumps a bit with a drill and then carefully applied the Tordon.  None dripped on the ground.

Afterwards, I started learning more about Tordon and I have come to find out that it can migrate through the root system, into the soil, and even transfer from the roots/soil to other trees!!!  I'm worried because there are some bushes nearby 4-5 feet along with a couple mature oak trees 7-10 feet away.  A large, very awesome cypress is about 15+ feet away.  If the oak trees die, I would be devastated and I would feel horrible.  Needless to say, I think I made a mistake and I should have done my research.

The tordon was applied about 72 hours ago, there hasn't been any rain, the soil is REALLY dry (I'm in North Texas).  I can think of a few options, but I'm not sure what to do.

1) Leave it alone
2) Dig the stumps out (a ton of work, and I'll likely have to chop a couple roots to get it done since I bet they extend past my fence line).  Replace NONE of the dirt, dump it in the trash and re-fill with new dirt.
3) Burn the stumps out and hope the heat burns off the Tordon and kills the stump, allowing me to dig as much as I can, out.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks so much!!!

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Yardworkman09

Yes, it was Tordon RTU with the dribble bottle (like dish detergent dispersal method). I just squirted it carefully onto the cut portion/hole. No overspray or dripping.

chet

You should be ok. If the stumps you had in fact treated were oak, you're Oaks would be in trouble, as oaks will root graft to each other. Check to see if all the chemical you applied was taken up by the stumps, if not carefully soak it up with an absorbent material, just to be on the safe side that it is not carried off site.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

WDH

I have applied gallons of Tordon 101M in hack-n-squirt applications on acres of my property and have not had any issues.  I agree with Chet that you should be OK. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

How much did you apply to each?  It doesn't take much.  I have used it on small mulberry that the birds plant in the fence line.  You cut the small tree and paint the stump. I just apply some to a 2" paintbrush and can usually paint several cut saplings. On a bigger tree, you need only paint the sapwood.  You only need it on stubborn species that will not die from cutting the tree down.  I try to use as sparingly as possible for obvious reasons.  Use gloves that will protect you so you don't get any on your skin.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

kiko

I killed my crap mertle stumps with empty five gallon buckets.  Took some time but did the trick. A dark bucket, preferably black cuts the light off better.  I did have to explain why I had black buckets evenly spaced in my back yard on many occasions.  "So uhhh... Whats  up with the black buckets?"

Southside

What's funny is the State of Georgia is planting Crepe in the median, not to make it prettier, but to make it safer for vehicles that leave the highway, some sort of reduced impact theory.....

Tire blows out on vehicle:

Wife driving - "AHHHH!!!  NOOOO!!"

Husband calmly responding - "It's OK honey - aim for the Myrtles and we won't even scratch the paint"

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!