iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

value of red oak?

Started by marc, October 27, 2001, 03:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

I don't know much latin but was working on a phrase for some neander types today "Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus" : Thus Always (with) Dinosaurs  ;D

When Michelle woke up from her siesta I asked "what does Quercus mean?" I got "The Look" ..."oak"  :D

LW ,
I'm unclear, you do know all our oaks are divided into  2 groups for marketing purposes, red and white, based on wood color.

Marc is probably wishing we had an entomologist more than an etomologist...anybody got a clue on those bug holes?...You know bringin her back around.

swampwhiteoak

I love how we stay on topic 'round here
Oak is from the old english actreo.

Tom

Well Don,

This was my field but I have not worked in it for over 30 years and no longer  have any books, charts, insecticide reports, keys or any of that material at  hand other than the web.  I have not jumped on the insect identification because there needs to be more information provided than "holes in wood".

I am still fairly familiar with insects affecting agricultural economics in the south but would be guessing at anything outside of my realm of existence without first spending a considerable amount of time studying that environment.

Off the top of my head, here is a report from a search engine that references Red Oaks in Ontario.  The insect looks and acts much like the Southern Pine Sawyer (borer) ,  which attacks a dead tree. This beetle apparently attacks live Red Oaks and emerges from a sliver filled hole in the spring after 2 years of development.
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/fidls/Red%20Oak%20Borer/redoak.htm

The South also has insects that attack healthy oaks but identification of them is difficult at best without a specimen or at the very least a detailed description of the damage.  It would take someone educated in Entomology (not necessarily formally) who lived in the area or someone with a library of information and the time and knowledge to research it to make an identification.

Not making light of the question, it would be similar to asking "what kind of tree was that I saw in Chile on my vacation, it had leaves?"

Now from my experiences sawing downed trees, I would surmise that this was a beetle/borer entering the tree after felling as opposed to exiting after maturity and that the damage would be superficial if the tree were sawed when the damage was new.  The holes and insects would probably be slabbed off.  The longer the tree is down, the deeper the insect may bore (unless it is one that lives just under the bark) and the boards produced from sawing may contain the eggs.  If this is the case then heat from a kiln would be the only way to sterilize the wood.  I have been told that freezing wood my kill insects but I'm not familiar with its killing eggs.  I also don't know how the insects of the North survive the cold winters. It may be that they do a better job of that than an insect of a more temperate climate.

I would recommend doing what I generally do when I find a log and someone wants to give it to me.......Saw It, stack it, dry it and spray the stack with insecticide to keep egg laying adults to a minimum.  If I see Frass or dust then treat each hole or find a kiln. Since most of these insects that attack hardwoods after sawing prefer the sap wood then I may trim the sapwood away after drying and burn it or make "insignificant" projects from it.

The Sweet Gum table beneath my arms has sapwood covered with holes about 1/32 in diameter and this wood has been a table for two years with no finish but wax.  There is no dust nor any sign of living insect activity.  If I were to detect the start of it then the table would find itself outside immediately.

L. Wakefield

Not making light of the question, it would be similar to asking "what kind of tree was that I saw in Chile on my vacation, it had leaves?"

I love it! Reminds me of a post the aromatherapy newsgroup- guy came back from Morocco- said he was in one of the bazaars- 'and I smelled a wonderful aroma. I'm hoping you can tell me what it was'...Left one truly at a loss to help him.. ::)   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Don P

:D Oops, well I guess you might need a little bigger hint huh?

Only leaves I've seen in Chili were those darn cilantros lurking at the edge of the bowl.

Actually,  I was wondering about these 29 or so species of trees in the UK...they have leaves ;D...I think.
Maybe

marc

Thanks a lot for all the help I learnt a lot about oak from one simple question.

CHARLIE

Aromatherapy newsgroup LW?? :o  People actually access aromatherapy forums?? ???  That aroma in Morocco was probably from all the beans they eat. :D :D :D   Now that's aroma therapy!! ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Eggsander

Now if there were a whole bunch of them Morrocans inside eatin all them beans would it be......
Aroomaromatherapy?     :o
Steve

Thank You Sponsors!