iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mystery TJ skidder

Started by yellowstone, March 31, 2012, 07:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowstone

First off, this is a really neat site!  I do part time sawmilling and the associated log gathering in SW Montana.  I know everyone here loves photos.  Here are some of my TJ that I've been using for two years.  I purchased it via craigslist in running condition for the scrap metal price, saving it from a fiery death.  I didn't really need it, but now I know how useful a machine like this is.  I'm trying to figure out what model it is so I can order a manual for it.  One of the axle seals has a leak.  The original engine, transmission, and transfer case had been replaced with a 350 Chevy, TH350, and NP205.  The hydraulic pump is driven off the front of the engine.  The tires are 18.4 x 34.  It used to be orange.  There are no ID plates anywhere I can find.  I figured that someone here may be familiar with these and would recognize the model.  I saw one in a fuzzy photo with the same rear apron that may have been a 330.  That's all I've been able to come up with so far.   I couldn't get the pics on here.  Pics are in my gallery.  Thanks!

lumberjack48

Welcome to the forum

It looks like a 330, that color makes it look like it'll jump out an bite you.

That must be quit the machine with a 350 chevy, with duel straight pipes maybe it will drown out a Detroit.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

barbender

That machine looks just my neighbor (except for the green paint :D) Problem is, I have no idea what model his is either. I could never find a data plate, serial number, anything at all. Made it fun trying to get parts at the local Nortrax dealer- they became a TJ parts dealer when JD bought out TJ. They wouldn't help me at all without a serial #. I said "come on, let me look through the parts book myself! How many different models did TJ produce around 1970?" Nah, they wouldn't help, finally got in touch with a parts dealer in Littlefork, MN. He asked me a couple of identifying questions and had me on the right parts in about two minutes ::)
Too many irons in the fire

captain_crunch

Will get some pics but it looks identical except color to my old 404
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

barbender

Was there any rhyme or reason to TJ's model designations?
Too many irons in the fire

deerguy

Hi yellowstone,

I agree that it looks like a TJ 330. I am almost done re-building the exact same model !!! Mine has a Detroit 3-53 and an Allison automatic tranny.
On mine, when you're sitting in the operator's seat, there is a tag or plate right above your head on the inside of 1 of the cross beams that supports the roof plate. It have serial # etc....
I'll post some pic's as soon as the paint dries and you'll see the resemblance !!!!

Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

redlaker1

interesting machine,   I would be curious to see a few more pictures.   I have no idea on what model it would be.

how did they mate the transfer case up to the timberjack driveline?  did they just use the rear output and hook it up to the timberjack transfer case?
was thinking the np205 would be like most truck trannies with the front output staggered off to the side.

and how did they hook up the pto to run the winch?

yellowstone

Deerguy, thanks for the info.  I'll check in that location for a tag.

This is the first skidder I've owned or used so I'm not too familiar with them.  The transfer case is not the same as many typical 4x4 trucks with the rear output shaft directly behind the input shaft.   The transfer case installed in the skidder appears to be tipped from its original donor vehicle orientation.  Now the shafts are in vertical alignment.  The input shaft is at the top while the shafts from the differentials attach to the bottom of the case.  I will get more photos posted next week of this menagerie.
     The winch is powered by a hydraulic motor.         

Thank You Sponsors!