iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need advice in drying

Started by alsayyed, December 31, 2006, 11:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

I have started milling my lumber which is ok for hobbier like me doing fews things. The question my 20 ft shipping container is insulated and dose not get much hot like any steel ones.  I keep my container in place where is no electricity yet so I cannot use any fan. I have noticed the temperature is between cold and war it ok. Dose this temperature will affect the wood, because I have noticed some lumber which it has been milled one a go still have some moisture. Shall I keep it this way or just get some energy from the sun I have small window but it is closed. If I let some heat coming through then I should use a fan that will push air inside.
So the question if I leave the lumber as it is you thing it will dry slowly. Or you people have another suggestion.

Furby

I belive all most all drying systems, even air drying in the open, require air flow to help/allow the wood to dry.
Unless you are letting the moist air out of your container and dry air in, you really are not doing anything with the wood in the container.

4woody

Hay Furby what if he gets some solar fans woud that help

Furby

I belive he needs both fans and vents.
Don't really matter if the fans are solar or not.

4woody

yeh you are right i only said solar because he said no power

Don_Lewis

Why are you putting it in an insulated container with no air flow? Air drying would be a better way to go in this case, I think.

DanG

Alsayyed, what is the climate like in Qatar?  If it is very dry and hot, like I think it is, you may not even need a kiln.  Maybe a solar kiln would be a good choice for you, also, though you would still need some fans.  I can't think of any kind of kiln that does not require some sort of power source.  Solar panels can run fans, but that may be too expensive to purchase.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!