iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winch trouble

Started by loggerman1959, March 25, 2021, 06:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggerman1959

I have a gearmatic 19 winch that is having trouble freespooling . When I lift the handle the spool unwinds freely , but won't stay free . It locks back up . I relift the handle and it will freespool again for a bit then locks up again . Anyone ever run into this before ? Any advice would be appreciated. 

bushmechanic

Sounds like you have air in your release cylinder. Bleed the line to the top of the winch.

Ed_K

Have you changed the brake pad recently? I'm fighting that right now as the replacement is 3/8" instead of 5/16". I've got shaved down some with a rasp but still need to wear it in before it'll work right. Then again after rereading your post is the lever staying in place for free spool when you let go of the handle, if not the hydraulic lines may be crossed.
Ed K

loggerman1959

Yes the lever stays in place , the winch just locks up after a few seconds of freespool

Satamax

Air, or a tiny  leak. I'm no expert. I'm just working on mine. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Ed_K

Try loosening the 3/8-24 allen screw on the top of the winch. They most times have a spring between the brake band and the screw.
Ed K

loggerman1959

Thanks for all the input 

Thank You Sponsors!