iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bugs

Started by Lynwoo, April 06, 2021, 12:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynwoo

I have been milling red oak, white oak, gum, poplar, and some pine.  There is so much more to this than just slicing logs.

I have followed posts for a few years prior to getting my mill and with that help I have sawn some good flat materials, and paid close attention to stickering, stacking, and storing.  Only time will tell but my materials should be ready to start finishing by mid summer.

All that leads to this question.  As I monitor my stacks, besides powder residue what are indications of infestations?  Should I pull a test board and plane or slice into thin segments?  

I have purchased some ash turning blanks years ago that had boerers in them but they did not cross over to the oak,cherry or walnut cabinet stock I had.

Now I am getting logs from various sources and to be honest some  logs I cannot positively identify as they are in log form only.  I attempt to stack one species  per stack.  I can tell these logs appear the same, saw the same, the inner wood looks the same, the outer wood looks the same, but am just not sure of the proper name.  

According to the reference books much of the bark appearance and the inner wood is easily mistaken.

I have gotten about 10 logs the owner said were ash.  These logs really have only about an inch of sapwood and no real heartwood, just wood to the center, simular to a sweet gum tree, but not in color or texture.  Also if a chisel were tapped under a piece of bark and pried up it would have a reddish hue just prior to getting into the wood proper. 

I have actually said all that to say all this.  As I proceed through this process what can be done to monitor bug infestation.   I had hoped to use this materials air dried only.  Like everyone I would prefer no more added expense but don`t want to think about losing a years worth of materials to save a dime.

I know, lots of questions with little to go on.

Many within the next couple days I can figure how to post pictures.

Leonard

Brad_bb

Are you using any product on your wood like Timbor?  Some guys have a tank and dip each board, whereas I have used my fogger(a leaf blower with a tank that blows into the air stream) inside my storage building.  I use a respirator for sure. And leave the building for a couple days.  Fogging uses less material than spraying and gives better coverage.  What you're doing is making the surface distasteful so adults won't lay eggs/larvae on your wood.  

I do not treat walnut as the Powder Post Beetles(PPB) don't seem to tough it.  After a couple weeks stacked and stickered, the only bug that should be touching your wood is PPB.  When it's still green, you will have Ambrosia beetles which make similar size hole.

It just depends on what you're using the wood for.  If you're selling it for furniture, most furniture makers don't want PPB bore holes.  For my own woodworking, it's not really a big deal to me.  You don't want a large infestation though.  There are plenty of discussions here on PPB.  They could be in the wood for as long as 6 month to 2 years before they bore their way out.  If you have finished wood with a film finish like urethane or paint, adult PPB will not lay their eggs.  They lay only if they taste the starch of the wood. Both ambrosia and PPB will produce frass piles (sawdust piles) as the larvae bore in.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Lynwoo

the 2x pine will be framing.  The remainder is 4/4 I plan on planing and t&g for floor, walls, and ceilings for my own use.  Nothing will be sold.  

A small amount of the premium h/w will be set aside for future self use.

Southside

If you only air dry you are going to have issues with movement / shrink on the tongue and groove material. 

The bigger issue will be installing wood that has not been sanitized you WILL have Powder Post Beetles in your house and they will migrate to other wood. It will become a significant issue for you. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Lynwoo

thanks for the replies.  I have several months to research this further, reading older posts on the drying side of this now.  Lots of info there.  

Thank You Sponsors!