iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mud tracks in mountain and snow terraine.

Started by Matixx49, May 05, 2021, 04:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matixx49

Hello!
I have to buy tracks for my valmet.  I will work in mountainous terrain, there is quite a lot of snowfall in winter.  I am wondering whether to buy mountain tracks, because I have the opportunity to buy mud tracks much cheaper.  Maybe someone knows how the mud tracks work in mountainous terrain?  Are they much less effective?  Will they slide?
Thanks

Tacotodd

I don't know on the Valmet or any other piece of equipment other than 4x4's. That being said, I would pick the muds. They work fairly well in the snow but the snow don't work so well in the mud. Your climate might be inverse of that. I don't have some of the experiences that others on here have. I also only see snow/ice a few times per year while mud is MUCH more prevalent. Just keep that in mind with your decision.
Trying harder everyday.

snowstorm

I have a set of what they call eco tracks. A wider pad then a solid bar. The other machine has the plain tracks. They all slide sideways on snow and ice. Adding the traction blocks that are welded on help

Satamax

Matixx49, could you show us the difference between the two? 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Riwaka

You would be better to work with Olofsfors or what ever track manufacturer can support the operation of the tracks best in your location.

That usually starts by selecting the tracks best for your machine, based on experience of similar operations.
It is possible that mud tracks could be too heavy for your machine in the snow in winter on a slope.

Look at eco-forst You Tube videos. Some operators run a fairly open type track on snowy slopes and have extra traction from a winch system.

T-WINCH 10.2 & Komatsu 931XC | Efficient steep slope harvesting - YouTube

Matixx49

Hello
thanks very much for the answers.  Unfortunately I dont have pictures of these tracks at the moment to show them.  But rather chooses to take a risk and buy mud tracks.  Thanks for help!

logging pete

You might ask about deep snow loading the tracks, increasing the tension to the point of breaking housings. They can get as tight as dozer tracks in warm snow. A couple of winters ago, dealers here sent out warnings concerning running tracks to tight. The wide cleat on a mud track might cause that in the right conditions.

Thank You Sponsors!