iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Potato Bugs

Started by Billbob, April 08, 2021, 07:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billbob

Garden season is almost here.  Anyone have good suggestions on how to keep potato bugs off of the plants without using chemicals.  I heard that planting sage every 6 feet in the potato rows would help.  
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Dan_Shade

I always found that pressing two rocks together is a foolproof way to handle a potato bug.

Make sure the potato bug is between the rocks prior to pressing together.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Billbob

Quote from: Dan_Shade on April 08, 2021, 07:11:22 PM
I always found that pressing two rocks together is a foolproof way to handle a potato bug.

Make sure the potato bug is between the rocks prior to pressing together.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
LOL!  At least it doesn't involve rigging up a flame thrower!   
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

SwampDonkey

I've mostly just squished mine. I don't grow a huge amount and that is manageable. This year I'm growing more tomatoes instead of potatoes. They grow 50000 acres of them around me, so I won't worry none about potatoes. ;) I just go to a local farmer, he has a box for your cash, walk in any time, help myself. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

We use to hand pick them. But that was only a couple rows about 20 feet long.
Captains Jacks is a organic way to get rid of bugs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PoginyHill

I've had some success, alternating between potatoes and winter squash. I put down road fabric where squash is planted (prior year's potato area). I believe the adults winter in the ground, so if there is fabric preventing them from emerging, they die in the ground. It worked really well the first couple years I did it, but less effective recently. Not sure why. Otherwise, hand-picking adults early, before they lay eggs, is the method I use.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Don P

Yup, moving the bed helps, they don't move far fast but not around where other nightshades were. Checking and removing leaves with egg cases. BT var "San Diego" will kill the larvae. Neem oil, sage companion planting all help.

Chuck White

My parents used to dust the plants with some kind of powder, and that took care of them!

Before that, we kids used to pick them and drop them is a coffee can with gasoline in it and when we got done we would light the can afire!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Wudman

You can contract with @southside for some 100% organic free range tater bug inhalation devices.  Not sure, they may scratch your taters up as well.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Gere Flewelling

My father grew up in the 1930's in Aroostook County in Maine.  His uncle was a potato farmer as well everyone else in the area.  He tells of an add that came out in American Agriculturist Magazine (I think) telling of a new device that was guaranteed to kill potato bugs every time or your money back.  Apparently some one ordered one.  When it came, it was a small flat piece of wood and a wood mallet.  When that person complained, they were asked if it worked each time.  When they said it did, the company reported it worked exactly as advertised and thus no refund.   Guess there have always been scams around.   
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Don P

There was a similar one for the boll weevil in my grandad's time, 2 bricks labelled A and B arrived in the mail with instructions to place the weevil on brick  and smash it with brick B  :D. Potatoes are one of those crops that absorb just about everything they are sprayed with and put it into the crop you eat, grow your own.

Kindlinmaker

When we were but wee lads, we were given a rolled up newspaper page, a 2# coffee can, a bit of kerosene, a few stick matches and pointed toward the tater field.  Evenings were not overly pleasant if we happened to sneak off swimming before the whole field was swept clean.

Not quite the sizzle of a flame thrower but you certainly did not want to be down wind of that can when you tossed the match in.
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

moodnacreek

Quote from: Chuck White on April 09, 2021, 08:48:25 AM
My parents used to dust the plants with some kind of powder, and that took care of them!

Before that, we kids used to pick them and drop them is a coffee can with gasoline in it and when we got done we would light the can afire!
Mine to, DDT.

woodroe

Spinosad kills the potato beetle larvae . Works good, natural product, mix concentrated type with water.
Follow instructions.
Repeat as needed.
I use a 2 gal pump sprayer
Bonide brand can be found in many hardware/feed stores.  

Fact sheet:
Spinosad General Fact Sheet
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

thecfarm

woodroe, yes Captain jacks is a Bonide product. I placed an order and the company was out of stock.  :(  Same thing as last year. I bought 3-4 bags last year to have for this year. Glad I did. I also use it on my tomatoes plants about once every 2 weeks to keep the tomato horn worm away. Since I have started to do that, I have not seen any horn worms in my garden.
Ever into Paris Farmers Union in Jay hunt me up. My name is Ray.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

You can cover the plants with the lighter floating fabric until they get pretty good size. Leave it loose or adjust as it grows. That way no bugs and no spray. I used it last year for a few weeks. 8) I use it on squash and beans so the cuke beetles don't start chewing And yes them beetles eat bean leaves to. In my upper garden where I grow my cukes I never have a beetle, and I don't have to cover. Sure is peculiar, but love'n it. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Sounds good on the bugs. I plan on using that crop cover more this year. Not just for bugs, but to keep the soil warmer too. I want to see how that works on the cukes bugs. Hope to get some cukes earlier too!!
I do use crop cover on the basil. Seem like every bug in the square 40 miles will come and feast on basil.  :o   :(

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Don P on April 09, 2021, 07:30:07 PM
There was a similar one for the boll weevil in my grandad's time, 2 bricks labelled A and B arrived in the mail with instructions to place the weevil on brick  and smash it with brick B  :D. Potatoes are one of those crops that absorb just about everything they are sprayed with and put it into the crop you eat, grow your own.
I can kill the tater bugs organically, but our issue is early and late blight. Can wipe them out totally. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

SwampDonkey

Quote from: thecfarm on April 10, 2021, 05:59:03 AM
Seem like every bug in the square 40 miles will come and feast on basil.  :o   :(
Those big black flee beetles hit mine, but almost end of summer, about the time I want to do a bunch of tomato sauce. I spread bunches around the gardens, they might hit two and leave 3 bunches alone. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!