iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

Quote from: BargeMonkey on April 10, 2021, 02:06:48 AM
Mike that trailer came out of PA, was owned by an equipment dealer down there outside Philly. Why someone ordered a 2001 trailer on daytons I dont know 🤷‍♂️ We sent it out and had the bottom painted and some steel 2yrs ago, guy told me to run it 3-4yrs and get out of it. Ive been slowly shopping lowboys, a new Pitts or Kaufman isnt bad priced, the minute you get into 55ton dropside and fancy forget it, then your into a 4 axle truck, all to feed the monster.
Another good option to look that's a little more affordable is Witzco. 

barbender

The Kaufman trailers are cheaper for a reason, is what I'm told. One of the loggers up here bought one of their lowboys and after a year had to do a lot of work to it.
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Dont overlook Reitnouer, fontaine, XL, or another rogers.
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Out here those don't last normally under the abuse of a shovel. Most common trailers out here are General, Aspens, and a few other brands.

Nebraska

Not really logging, mostly played trucker today, one of my excavator friends called and said he was cleaning up a section of grove on a place that had some decent Red Cedars, got  a dozen 19 ft long logs smallest was about 8 in on top, also got a small walnut log 7 ft about 16inch.  A little heart rot in a handful of logs several very nice ones. Of course I forgot to take a picture of the trailer loaded. They were just going to go in a burn pit otherwise...Just cost me  couple hrs time and  25 miles worth of fuel. Need to get to sawing.

teakwood

Wood is back from the oven. has dried beautiful, was just 18days in the oven (owner was pushing dates) and went from 70% to 20-30%. those beams are 4" thick! I weighted one beam after sawing (green) and now after the oven. From 92kg to 53kg!! incredible the water teak has inside. until final humidity of 15% i think the beam will lose another 10kg.
Almost no cracks at all, i'm 110% pleased with the result, was kinda afraid because i never dried wood in a oven before and first order such a high volume, high quality and expectation job

sorting and prepping for planing  

My little 20" shop fox planer isn't owning me one cent!! It's holding up like a champ on a job it wasn't built for. 5days of planing 10h a day and still 30% left

just beautiful!!!!

the owner brought swiss and austrian carpenters

Owner is inspecting the work. Totally satisfy
He was a real pain pushing the dates forward and pressing, pressing, pressing, but the money was right. but after all everything will work out, what a relive.  

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Walnut, small stand badly damaged by cows and falling trees.  We will cut maybe 25, did 15 today.  Only 7 veneer logs.  Oh well.  We will let it sit for a week to let bark tighten.  No idea what the logs look like yet.  
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

You mean wired walnut isnt highly specialized?  Like taphole maple.. 
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

That 648 is fast, very comfortable, my 460 will walk the dog with it in the rough ground. 1 more day, 2 skidders and delimber will be moved tomorrow. 

Old Greenhorn

Man Barge, where did you find the flat landing? That stroker looks like it is working near that clearcut where we had the class if I had to guess. Keep hammering it out man.
BTW, you getting my texts?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

BargeMonkey

There isnt much left now but some sticks to burn, that whole section is clearcut and cleaned up, time to bring in 2x excavators and the 750J with the root rake and get it ready for the screen. 😆 finish there tomorrow, about 1wk on the mountain then go start on this next big job, ive got someone with a drone willing to come do a fly over, ive done a bunch of clearcuts but not like this... 🤷‍♂️ 😆 

Skeans1

Walnut Beast

Cedar trees getting whacked everywhere. Little buck in the CRP

Tacotodd

@Skeans1 in that picture with the saw, it looks like there's an extra handle of sorts. What is it, or is it an optical illusion due to the photo? And I don't mean the west coast option.
Trying harder everyday.

Skeans1

@Tacotodd
That's a 3/4 wrap that comes on a west coast saw you normally don't see 1/2 wrap saws out with guys cutting timber it's pretty much a requirement to have.

nativewolf

@Skeans1 Hey you did you jack it over?  You did...I can see the stump.  How'd that go?  Make a video?  Come on...how was the new toy.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Cut two very sizable walnuts yesterday, well not that large but big big tops.  The young man didn't crack one yet, hope I am not jinxing him.  The only problem with these is  the wide sapwood.  I'm not seeing much birdpeek (yellow bellied sapsuckers are the bane of walnut cutters).  Pictures later today.  I've  been topping and can get most done and bucked as he cuts.  
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Quote from: nativewolf on April 13, 2021, 07:48:22 AMI've  been topping and can get most done and bucked as he cuts.  
If youre the slave who has to dice up the tops all pretty to suit the polo club i highly suggest getting that clearing saw with no guard and a good harness asap.  

Itll double your daily energy allotment because for dicing the 3" and under stuff your shoulders arent holding a chainsaw at full extension.  Theres almost no exertion with the clearing saw.  

My surgery 9 or 10 yrs ago found a torn tendon in my left shoulder..  I cant even hold a jug of milk straight out.  Really need to rebuild my MS260pro for limbing soon because a 372 kills me even with just a 16 on it.  I leave all the fluff on the ground until i am back with the clearing saw now, standing fully upright and with no shoulder load. 
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Quote from: nativewolf on April 13, 2021, 07:45:20 AM
@Skeans1 Hey you did you jack it over?  You did...I can see the stump.  How'd that go?  Make a video?  Come on...how was the new toy.
It's not exactly a fast process in comparison to just pounding wedges, but if something is leaning back with a line there they are worth their weight in gold. The 3rd picture down is from right on the line with all the limb weight hanging over the line with a little back lean to top it off the wind was pushing the wrong direction so I had about 6k psi on the gauge for it. The second one was about 100' from that first it needed a lift up the hill as well as something to get it even with the ground ahead of it both of those two I took about 55 feet of pulp before I could make a log. With both a got a couple of 40's out of what was left for different sorts we have.

mike_belben

What percent of the tree needs to be removed for the jack to start moving the top?  Im guessing your notched face is complete and a backcut is started, then jack notch, jack inserted..  

From there are you jacking and touching in the backcut a bit at a time or are you going right to a finished hinge first, then begin jacking?  

I would thinking youre testing the jacks effectiveness before going down to the finished hinge dimension.. Just curious
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Back cut/jack seat first leaving some room for for back cut. Then we put the face cut in well watching the gauge to see if there's movement of the pressure spike you know it's time to put some more lift or see what the top is doing if it drops it's time to get busy. To the either hinge and done or tickle method it's going to depend on back lean, wind, and weight placement.

nativewolf

Neat, do you push to keep out of streams or powerlines or?  Just curious as to the use cases.
Liking Walnut

Tacotodd

I would think that in an unused area (except for timber) that you'd use it to get them to all lay parallel, so that they can be easier to bunch. I'm not a logger, just thinking out loud.
Trying harder everyday.

Iwawoodwork

At Weyco we had the Timber Tipper gas powered  (think weed eater motor) hydraulic tree jacks an they were used on leaners that we wanted to fall in another direction or to directional fall one away from bad ground to save it better.   This was back in the 1970's and old growth Doug fir.
Depending on the diameter of the tree , sometimes the face was cut  then the back cut started then the jack hole and pumped up and the back cut finished up. Bach then we always had two cutters together, a Faller and bucker, the faller would usually be at the tree and the bucker would be operating the pump which had at least a 50' foot hose and could add more sections of hose if needed. 

Thank You Sponsors!