iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

work jeans

Started by Nemologger, November 12, 2015, 06:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nemologger

What do you guys prefer for work Jeans? I have worn the Carhartt double fronts for years and always got a long wear out of them However I have noticed a dramatic change in the wearability. Used to I could wear them till they were almost white from fading...now days they are still bright and blue and will usually rip out at the back pockets where the rivits are, Kind of a shame since they are about $45+ per pair.
Clean and Sober

scsmith42

I used to wear the Carhart double front logger jeans but switched over to the US Mfg Wild Ass jeans from Baileys about three years ago.  I have been very pleased with the quality, durability and price.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

beenthere

Levi's, are under my chaps when going for logs in the woods.

Tried a pair of the Wild one's from Baileys, but they were not comfortable.

Think Carhartt went over the border to the south and the ocean to the west to get theirs made...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Plankton

Wild ass black double front jeans from baileys and bernes double knee blue jeans also from baileys. Both have suspender buttons pre installed and wear for a long time. Cheap too.

My last pair of carhartts wore out in a month and cost me what two pairs of the above jeans would have.

Ljohnsaw

Guess I'm just cheep :D  I hit the thrift stores and buy up their $4 or $6 Levi's, Wrangler's etc.  If they are a little worn, don't matter.  Plus, they are already broke in (nice and soft).  I think I've got 10 pairs of "work" jeans now.  If I see my size, I just buy them.  I ended up with a pair of "relaxed" jeans.  Kind of like baggy clown pants.  Oh well, at least it is easy to bend over or kneel down.  Also, if chainsawing, I'm wearing chaps.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Corley5

Walmart Wranglers for me.  They're comfortable, last more than long enough to get my money's worth and at $14.00 if I ruin a pair I'm not out much.  A couple $$ less if I happen to catch them on sale  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

bill m

Riggs Wear by Wrangler. Ripstop fabric, 6 pockets and double front.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

azmtnman

I usually go for cheap but not here--Duluth Trading Post Firehose Flex Pants. They're about $70 a pair but I was trashing my Wrangler Pro Rodeos ($22 a pair) pretty quickly. These are on track to outlast 3 pairs and are way more functionable. They have plenty of pockets for tools and wedges, are very maneuverable and comfortable and are durable without being really heavy.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Nemologger

azmtnman...I been thinking about trying the fire hose pants...do they run true to size?
Clean and Sober

azmtnman

Quote from: Nemologger on November 12, 2015, 07:59:41 PM
azmtnman...I been thinking about trying the fire hose pants...do they run true to size?
Pretty close. I wear 38x32 Wranglers (probably 37x31 would be perfect for me) and ordered the same size DTP Firehose Flex. You're supposed to air dry DTP but my wife threw them in the dryer once and they fit like a glove now.  :D
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Offthebeatenpath

Second on the Duluth Flex. Their double knee fire hose logger pants (not the flex kind) are made of a heavier material,  but they seem to be baggier in the legs. The little bit of stretch in the Duluth flex material is nice.
Fit seems to pretty true but maybe a tad short after they've been through the drier a few times.

I wait till they go on sale, usually buy them 20% off. Still spendy though.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Offthebeatenpath

Actually just saw that Duluth has a 20% off and free shipping deal right now. You have to enter the code "DEAL" when you check out.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

gww

Just a hobbiest here but I have cut a bunch of trees in shorts and bare foot in crocs for shoes.  I cleared 4 arcres behind a dozer and moved up to wearing shorts and tennis shoes.  I almost need to throw the socks away due to not being able to get the sawdust off of them.  In winter I wear shorts and insulated coveralls.  I grab what ever is handy and pretty much ruin whatever I have on.  It seems when I really dress up that something will interest me and I will immediatly ruin what I have on.  Goodwill is fine with me cause nothing is going to last anyway.  However, I wear whatever my wife buys.
Cheers
gww

Holmes

Quote from: bill m on November 12, 2015, 07:41:05 PM
Riggs Wear by Wrangler. Ripstop fabric, 6 pockets and double front.
Same for me.  I try to get them on sale at Denim express for about $30
Think like a farmer.

furltech

I have just bought a couple pair of work jeans at costco they are made of some kinda elastic jean stuff .nice to work in but i dont imagine there is much last in them .but they were only 15.00 a pair .

so il logger

Wild axx double's or carhart double's. Also wear dickies brand

OntarioAl

Folks
I too am not pleased with the quality of Carharts now sold. >:(
The Duluth Trading Company has a store in of all places Duluth Minnesota about a 3 1/2 hr drive from home. I think I will have to check them out.
Al
Al Raman

brianJ

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 12, 2015, 07:15:57 PM
Guess I'm just cheep :D  I hit the thrift stores and buy up their $4 or $6 Levi's, Wrangler's etc.  If they are a little worn, don't matter.  Plus,  I think I've got 10 pairs of "work" jeans now.  If I see my size, I just buy them. 

EXACTLY   but Im not quite up to ten yet.   

barbender

I just get the $10 Faded Glory brand at Wal-mart, they last long enough for me. I tend to ruin them by getting soaked with hydraulic oil etc. before they ever wear out, so it doesn't make sense for me to buy expensive pants.
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

You mentioned jeans in topic, but I have not worn jeans in years. Too hot in summer and not flexible enough for woods walking all day with a brush saw. Jeans wear me out, and I don't wear rain gear on rainy days either. There's a change of clothes in the truck for the drive home. ;D I wonder how many miles is in a piece of land 100 m (333 feet) long, 40 m (128 feet) wide, taking a 1 m (3 feet) wide path back and forth? I figure close to 4 km (2.5 miles). Lately I've been covering 6 km. :D And that's not like walking down the road. :D :D I wear 'Big Bills' poly/cotton work pants and shirt year around. But of course woolies underneath when she dips -10 and colder. And I don't brush cut in the winter. ;D I could never wear Dickies, I don't know who they are making their work wear for, but I and anyone I've talked to about the brand can't wear the stuff. It don't fit any man that walked on Canadian ground. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

so il logger

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 14, 2015, 06:21:42 PM
You mentioned jeans in topic, but I have not worn jeans in years. Too hot in summer and not flexible enough for woods walking all day with a brush saw. Jeans wear me out, and I don't wear rain gear on rainy days either. There's a change of clothes in the truck for the drive home. ;D I wonder how many miles is in a piece of land 100 m (333 feet) long, 40 m (128 feet) wide, taking a 1 m (3 feet) wide path back and forth? I figure close to 4 km (2.5 miles). Lately I've been covering 6 km. :D And that's not like walking down the road. :D :D I wear 'Big Bills' poly/cotton work pants and shirt year around. But of course woolies underneath when she dips -10 and colder. And I don't brush cut in the winter. ;D I could never wear Dickies, I don't know who they are making their work wear for, but I and anyone I've talked to about the brand can't wear the stuff. It don't fit any man that walked on Canadian ground. :D

Dickies work jeans fit me  :D I am walking more in a days time plus packing a saw and gas and oil. Maybe thats the difference  ??? And i dont live in canada, that may be it. I have more pairs of wild axx jeans than carhart or dickies. Around here we have briars and itch weeds. Wal mart pant's don't hold up

SwampDonkey

Quote from: so il logger on November 15, 2015, 01:42:36 AM
I am walking more in a days time plus packing a saw and gas and oil.

Not if your cutting big trees, I've cutting all the little ones your walking by to the big ones, every square inch of ground walked on or saw hovers over.  I'm walking constantly all day, except 5 minutes to fill a tank with gas. Not out at the truck or on a  skidder. I pack a 25 lb saw and gas, water, tools........ When I'm out to the truck it's to go home. Or grab a second saw. :D :D

Your built a lot different than a Canadian. There is not enough seat area in them pants and the shirts are tight around the elbows. I just through a bunch out because I couldn't take it no more. And bought Canadian made for a Canadian man. And no, if you thin with a brush saw you haven't a big gut hanging over your belt. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jdonovan

been having good luck with arborwear. Still cotten like jeans, but seems to be a tighter weave so the thorns penetrate a LOT less. Got 'em in dark brown, and they don't seem to show grease/oil stains much.

Also I've been using suspenders with them quite a bit and that seems to be a mixed blessing. When I'm on the ground doing saw work its a big plus. Pants never seem to be falling down, or too tight, and stay right in place. But in a machine the suspenders seem to slide off my shoulders. But in a machine, I generally don't have problems with the pants staying in place, so I just pop the straps off the shoulders when I get in the machine.

Glenn

Swampdonkey - what canadian manufacture do you buy from.  Im Canadian and Dickies work well for me but id like other options to try,

dgdrls

I like the cut on the Key logger jeans for anytime other than summer then its rip-stop material time
I also have a pair of Filson Tin Pants that are wonderful,

Dan

Thank You Sponsors!