iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Split Sweetgum with axe, am I crazy?

Started by jrdwyer, May 06, 2004, 09:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrdwyer

To all the experienced firewood folks. I got some free sweetgum last fall and it has been drying in cut up sections off the ground. I tired to split it with my very nice splitting axe a week ago and quickly gave up. I have split knotty elm, dense knotty white oak and other tough stuff, but it all was easier than this. So do I just need to let it dry another 6 months or will I have to cave in and rent a gas splitter?

Tom

Rent a splitter and  hope it is a good one.  I would have split it green with a splitter.

that stuff is as bad as Sycamore.  It grows one way then it grows another and then it ties itself to the layer inside and then it ties itself to the laayer outside then it grows upside down awhile then..........   whew!!! :D

redpowerd

dont know much about sweet gum, is it big red, or jucy fruit?
the varietys confuse me

youve split elm, musthave been dry. the fibers lock together like legos and superglue when wet, right? has to be dry.
i like splittin dry wood green when i can, depends on when it will get burnt and how fast it needs to dry. spose rent a splitter and get it done.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

steveo_1

jrdwyer,try to cut bout halfway down it with a chainsaw then hit it a time or two,we have busted some pretty ugly stuff like that,still not much fun sawing it like that.Good luck!
got wood?

Kevin

jr, what type of splitting axe do you use?
I like to split frozen wood, you could put it in your freezer or bring it north.  :D

sawyerkirk

My suggestion would be to let it set a while longer maybe 10 years. Might help a bit to throw some dirt and lime on it. It'll split great then. Another good gum splitting technique would be to use some kindling under it, maybe have some hotdogs ready. It's a shame to waste good wood I know, but it's not worth it.

Stan

Get a good ripping chain and saw the stuff apart, I've got some that makes my splitter spray oil from every joint. Of course you could get a bigger stove and burn it whole.  8)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

rebocardo

I have cut and split a lot of sweetgum (about four cords) in the last year. The only way to really split it is with a sharp wedge and a very big sledge hammer.

What I have found that works the fastest is to stand all the pieces up on the ground by themeselves. Quickly put a X notch in the top of each one, do maybe 20 pieces at once.

This allows you to get a foothold in the wood with the wedge. Do not expect the wood to split evenly, just count yourself luckly if it splits. Sweetgum laughs at those wood wedges that look like triangles/plumbobs. All those do is bounce out when you hit them.

Turn the saw off and have some fun swinging. I find two wedges a must. I keep a crowbar handy to finish off the really tough pieces because sometimes the wedge will go clean through and it will still be hanging together with some strands the wedge passed through.

Do not split it onto top of another piece of wood. It will just bounce off or absorb the impact.

I will split it with a chainsaw if I am in a hurry. Just lay the wood on its side and cut with the grain, not across it like you are trying to split it. A regular anti-kickback chain works fine. Only draw back is it throws out a lot of curly Qs and can jamb the clutch of a saw that does not have big dog teeth.

I think you are better off trying to split dry, but, cutting it with a chain saw when green.

rebocardo

BTW: Do not start the wedge in the middle of wood, start at an outside edge. Once it has started to split, then insert the other wedge in the beginning crack to open up the other side and alternate hitting the wedges.

Texas Ranger

to much work and not enough heat.  Only thing it is good for is a back log.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

It sure does make some pretty cabinets and tables though.

A bandsaw mill will make a pretty good splitter too. :D

jrdwyer

Thanks for all the advice. My splitting axe is stout, but not as heavy as a large sledge. Rebocardo, it is good to see you have mastered the splitting of gum. I think I will split the remaining oak and ash I have and let the gum sit on sticks for another 6 months. When the weather cools in the fall I will give it another try. Ah, procrastination!

Thank You Sponsors!