iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Next sawing project - locust

Started by NCDiesel, May 03, 2013, 12:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCDiesel

Now that I got my teeth cut on that virginia pine, I am ready for the next stack of wood - several 12-14" black locust logs that were too big for my post driver and could not use them for my fence.   I know people saw this stuff into lumber, but the wood seems awful hard and would require a switch to a different lubricant (used diesel for the pine).  Also, my logs are very dry - they have been down for a couple of years.

What lubricant would you recommend for locust that has dried a bit?

PS:   Going to make a couple of nice entrance gates for our pastures out of it.
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

Chuck White

I've sawn quite a bit of Black Locust and all I've ever used was water and a little bit of soap!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Banjo picker

I see you are running a cooks mp 32...if it has the same drip system as my ac 36...you may have trouble with some of the soap mixes...they stopped up my filters...I went back to straight diesel....why do you think diesel wouldn't work on the locust?  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SAnVA

Why not just plain water, it's way cheaper!

Banjo picker

water by itself won't do the job, and it causes your blades to rust.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

dgdrls

throw some Pinesol and water at it if you choose not to use diesel.
Spray band with WD 40 when done sawing

DGD

drobertson

This is why I believe that we need blades with all the different hook angles, as coolant goes, pinesole, winshield fluid and trial and error, gotta luv tough stuff, otherwise it's easy peasy, what fun would this be? david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

duke

Find something called teapol not sure about the spelling, but very little goes a long long way. It is used in soaps and is a wetting agent. It breaks the surface tension of the water making the water work better and mix with the soap better. :P 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D

jdtuttle

I add dawn dish soap to the water. Keep a sharp blade in & go slow.
Have a great day

Dan_Shade

for locust, I use a 4 degree woodmizer band.  I also use water with pinesol (12 oz pinesol/5 gal water).

locust is hard.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

NCDiesel

Quote from: Banjo picker on May 03, 2013, 08:53:15 PM
I see you are running a cooks mp 32...if it has the same drip system as my ac 36...you may have trouble with some of the soap mixes...they stopped up my filters...I went back to straight diesel....why do you think diesel wouldn't work on the locust?  Banjo

Now that you mention it, I guess I was just under the impression diesel was for very pitchy woods like southern pine.  I just assumed everyone used something else for hardwoods.  I've got no problem paying a few extra bucks and just keep using diesel if folks don't think it will stain the wood.

Like you I have the filter set-up.  I think the Pinesol and water idea might be good but I could see where liquid soap(ie Dawn)  and water, with the remnant diesel, might emulsify and clog a filter.

NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Banjo picker on May 03, 2013, 09:22:21 PM
water by itself won't do the job, and it causes your blades to rust.  Banjo

What's rust? Everything dries here in 4.8 seconds. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

I've only cut it with a chainsaw so far, but I'm betting it is similar to mesquite, as both are related. When I cut dry mesquite, I find that if I keep it really wet when I saw, the blades last a lot longer and it goes faster. I've tried 4, 7, 9 and 10° blades, and I like the 7's best for overall speed and durability in mesquite. Good luck. Let's see the results.... ;D 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

LeeB

Which one is related, black or honey? I'm thinking honey.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

I use water/Cascade with everything.  It has good wetting capabilities and does not foam.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

I sawed a couple dump truck loads of black locust like these last year.

My instructions were to make rectangular posts...any size.  A band with 7 degree hook or less works well.  Sometimes you get chatter if a higher degree hook angle is used.  Use your lube of choice.  I used water/soap.  The only problem is dust when they are this dry.  It irritates me a bit and I use a mask.  Green logs I like the smell...makes me hungry.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

NCDiesel

Quote from: Larry on May 05, 2013, 05:52:31 PM

...snip...

A band with 7 degree hook or less works well.  Sometimes you get chatter if a higher degree hook angle is used.  Use your lube of choice.  I used water/soap.  The only problem is dust when they are this dry.  It irritates me a bit and I use a mask.  Green logs I like the smell...makes me hungry.

Thanks for the heads up on the dust.  I'll wear a mask as these are dry.  I only have an 8 degree blade, which is higher than you recommend but at least it is not a 10 degree or something like that so I will give it a try.   Weather did not cooperate for sawing this weekend.   It did not rain Saturday, but could not bale hay on Friday because we did not have enough sun during the week.  So I had to bale and stack hay Saturday.  Today it is raining.   Out of town next weekend.

Oh well.   May get to saw again someday......
NCDiesel

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: LeeB on May 04, 2013, 11:58:37 AM
Which one is related, black or honey? I'm thinking honey.

Both. Honey locust is a closer relative, but the wood of black locust is harder, as is mesquite.

Thank You Sponsors!