iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question of the day

Started by VT-Woodchuck, November 27, 2018, 08:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

WOW! LogDawg, you brew bourbon, too. I like the woodwork better. Simply outstanding!
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: thecfarm on November 29, 2018, 08:33:54 AM
Nice work! And the way you took the pictures ain't all that bad either. ;D
Thanks!
Quote from: samandothers on November 29, 2018, 11:11:17 AM
What did you do to keep the charring from making a mess?

I like your taste in bourbon!

I sanded them down outside, but in the end, they get sprayed with about 4 coats of poly. That seals the mess in!
Quote from: kelLOGg on November 29, 2018, 12:16:43 PM
WOW! LogDawg, you brew bourbon, too. I like the woodwork better. Simply outstanding!
Bob

I have done a brew or two,  ;D , in the past...Thanks for the compliments!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Quebecnewf

That's a good question and it made me pause and think about all the stages of the cycle.

We log by hand during the winter . There are days when it is -25 C with deep snow and high wind. For some reason I still love it. There are days when it's 0 C and mild . Your working and your wet because it's mild . The snow is sticking to everything . For some reason I still love it.

We move our logs by rafting them together in the spring and towing them home with th e boat. Love that part to . 

Sawing with the bandmill . Been doing that for 26 years now . Still love it.

Planing the lumber four sides. Just got this option going in the last two years. Really love the look and feel of the fresh dressed lumber. 

Have a woodworking shop where I piddle around making things that interest me. Love that to .

Time spent on the FF . Time well spent.

I guess the short answer to the question is that's there's nothing about the whole logging, towing, sawing ,planing ,woodworking that I don't love.

Only hope I can be still doing it till the day I die.

Quebecnewf

petefrom bearswamp

I like both but am doing less and less of them.
Since my boat accident in September I have sawed about 1000 bf of hemlock and in the shop made about 400 bf of WP shiplap.
No nice woodworking projects at all
leg still bothers some.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jwswan

Hello all;  
I'm new here, but have been lurking for years. To echo earlier points, they're both equally (though differently) satisfying if you can high grade the season and working conditions you do them in.
My day job is building (and plenty of rebuilding of) wooden boats.  I also harvest and mill Tamarack (Hackmatack knees).  Here is a little 14' lapstrake dory I built this summer for a customer using Tamarack, White Cedar, Ash, White Oak, and White Pine I cut and/or milled.
The idea of valuing adding to raw materials and the practice of it doesn't always reconcile (believe me!), but it's great when it does work out.  
Anyways, a belated thanks to the folks around here.  I've sure gleaned a ton of good insights in my time here as a visitor. 
Josh 

Keep 'em guessin'.

tule peak timber

Nice, my background is also marine. Lofting in space is an art.... :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

barbender

Quote from: goose63 on November 28, 2018, 07:52:41 AM
Milling my left hand can't take the beatting when I pick up a hammer  :D
That one took me a second, Goose!😂😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

mtoo747

Quote from: Magicman on November 27, 2018, 09:13:14 PM
I have been on both sides and sometime in between, but in my today's world my satisfaction is opening a log and being the first person to ever see what is inside.
I too like the part about opening up a log and being the first person to ever see what's inside. 
I like to make stuff too with the wood that i mill. I've made some cedar benches and live edge cedar coat racks with logs that i've milled. It gives me a lot of satisfaction to look at the finished product and know that i did it all.

richhiway

I like both. I made nine of these for Christmas presents for my nieces and nephews. Pine, Cherry and Maple. All cut down,milled and turned into something nice. I like the idea of going from the tree on my land to something useful.

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

And this is a building I built. All the wood was cut and milled with a csm at my camp. Now that I have the LT 40 watchout!!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!