iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood splitter

Started by 4430jd, December 20, 2012, 08:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Going to have to do some re thinking on pump size.
Precision Firewood & Logging

logman81

Finally started getting going on my spkitter this week. Picked up a 13hp honda and some wheels and tires. Next will be the hydraulic parts. Then the steel.

r.man

I read a general rule recently and I think it said 1 hp for 1 gpm at 1500 psi. Starts to deviate with larger numbers but looks fairly good for splitters etc.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Al_Smith

You will stall the engine using that large of a capacity single stage pump .

If you don't want to fiddle with a bunch of formulas just google surplus center hydraulics ,they have it all figured out allready .

Most two stage pumps can be set to transfer at between 600 and 900 PSI when you need the power .If you have to buy a pump already really a two stage most times on a new pump is actually less expensive than a single stage believe it or not .

logman81

I'm going to use a two stage pump not a single stage. 22 gpm

Happycamper

My old splitter is still going strong after many a tractor trailer load of wood. I replaced the still running old briggs that's in the picture with an incredible working brand new 

made in you know where 5 1/2 hp engine. It cost $75.00 for the motor. The rest of the splitter is a cylinder from a D6 cat, the pump is from an old single axel dump truck. It's been going now for over 40 years.
                           Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Al_Smith

Is that dump truck pump direct coupled to the engine or does it have a reduction ?

Happycamper

Al,
  Motor has small belt pulley to large pulley on pump. Motor runs 1/4 to 1/3 throttle just above a good idle.
                                         Jim

beenthere

Happy
What specie are you splitting in the pic?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

I figured as much because a pto driven dump truck pump doesn't run that high of RPMs ' .By gearing it down you've effectivley increased the power of that engine .FWIW I've seen them use low speed single stage  pumps on small tractor PTO's with good luck .

One of the first ones my dad and I built was a single stage with a chain drive low speed high lift pump from an electric high lift .We used a 3 to 1 reduction .It did okay except a knotty piece   of oak would stall the 12 HP Kohler engine if you didn't watch it .

If you played with it it would split it .Blowed black smoke when the governer kicked in and sounded about like a John Deere under  a heavy load . It was the only one we every built with a single stage pump .

logman81

I'm also trying to figure out how to make a self centering trough and push block on it as well. Would like it to self center down to a four inch log using a H beam. Very  much like how a processor is for hands free splitting.

Al_Smith

Well on that a good many of the commercially built splitters use a guide which is merely a rolled section of the I beam which guides the push block or wedge whatever the case .It centers the round .That could easily be duplicated with heavy angle iron .Why a person would be concerned about splitting a 4 inch piece remains a puzzle though .

r.man

Al_Smith

Smaller than 4" ,really .

Happycamper

beenthere,
I use mainly white birch to heat with but when I get my new mill home,up and running I'll be using some douglas fir slabs too.
                              Jim

Al_Smith

So is that load mill stock or firewood fodder ?

I'm totally ignorant of what gets cut for lumber in areas which are not hardwood .Seldom at  the few mills left around here would you see anything much smaller than 2 feet in diameter for lumber logs .

Happycamper

Al,
    That's a load of fire wood I bought.
                                  Jim

r.man

Jim, what is the camper that is just barely in your picture? No reason, just being nosy.

Al_Smith

Well that's another thing ,a log truck full of firewood in the rough so to speak .You just never see that around here .

If you see a trailer full of logs it's sawmill stock or heading to a local veneer yard for sale in log form .

thecfarm

That loader is not one seen around here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Happycamper

r.man,
  The camper trailer is a 19 ft. Big Foot trailer made actually just down the road from where I live. They are very popular well built trailers which hold their value very well (all fiberglass) no leaks. They also make truck campers which sell very well.
                          Jim

Thank You Sponsors!