iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

UTV?

Started by wbrent, April 15, 2023, 06:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Quote from: bigblockyeti on April 18, 2023, 09:17:33 AM
You could use a bicycle and a small trailer if just carting stuff back and forth is the objective, lower maintenance and cost too.  You didn't mention the size of your woodlot or how far back and forth you'd be looking at traveling, a few hundred yards?  A couple miles?  I know exercise isn't particularly popular with everyone here but quite a bit can be hauled behind a bicycle with the right trailer and conditioning.
Exactly! Why spend 20 to 30 thousand on a new UTV when you could spend 4 to 8 thousand on a electric bike and little trailer. Forgot the exercise and be broke either way 😂. 

petefrom bearswamp

2010 Kubota RTV 900 here, great for all the-stuff posted here, no issues yet.
regarding tires, same basic tread style as a lot of ATVs , but it has been stuck once as my grandson forgot to put it in fwd.
I built a 3 ft high rack for hauling my firewood and heap it up cab high in the center.
used it for hauling small loads of gravel too.
made a top from a sheet and a half of steel roofing and windshield from polycarbonate, boy am I cheap (frugal?) on some things
sips fuel too.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

RetiredTech

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on April 18, 2023, 03:44:12 PMboy am I cheap (frugal?)

I'd rather say imaginative, inventive, or creative. Aftermarket parts aren't cheap.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

21incher

I picked up a Kubota Sidekick 850 last summer. Took 14 months to get after ordering. Had to replace the stock tires with good ATV 8 ply's and it can carry 1000 pounds through the woods easily. Put a 6 ft plow on it last winter and it handles it well. 40 mph top speed that's plenty for me. 

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old Greenhorn

I saw your question while I was at the project and could not find time to respond until now.  I have a Kawasaki Mule 3010 4x4 that I got on a deal because the engine was in 4 carboard boxes (some assembly required) otherwise I could not afford one. It turned out to be a pretty good fit, and like most folks I get the most out of it I can, then push a little further. ;D
 I used it quite a bit for skidding logs with an arch and running through the woodlot, collecting log drops, but mostly as a mini tool truck. Chainsaws, gas, axes, tools, chains, and whatever I need for the task of the day. I also use it for EMS patrol work at large music festivals twice a year. I see these type units all over the place and they are as handy as a shirt pocket, as others have said. My buddy down the road has a JD gator 6 wheeler and just got a Bobcat SXS which I use frequently when running around his 60 acres cutting trees, etc.
 Here's what I've observed: The terrain matters a lot. We aren't flat here, lots of steep areas, so traction, having 4WD and locking diffs for me is a must have. Huge HP is not a biggie, but it helps. Speed never entered the picture for me, I would never get 'up to speed on any of our woods roads. Yeah, when I am running down the blacktop (short runs) I would want to be quicker, but frankly it doesn't make a difference. Ground clearance can be important. My buddy takes hi SXS's through swaps and over stumps and logs that my Mule would not handle at all. Mine is more of a trail machine that I take off into the brush, but it don't have a lot of clearance, so just consider that. Suspension matters too if you are doing very rough terrain driving, which again, I do not, but my buddy does all the time.
 A lot of 'stuff' can be added to these machines and modifications can be made all over, it just depends on what you need. I have stuff on mine like the light bar on the roof that I rarely use, but when you need it, it's dang handy. I have DOT windshield with a wiper, heater, winch, hard doors (which I take off in the spring and replace in fall) and a hard cab. All these add weight but have benefits. I also do all my home plowing with it and it does well until we hit a foot of wet snow.
 The new ones are quite pricey. I searched for mine for over a year until I found a basket case. It took me a couple of weeks in the evenings to get the engine rebuilt and running. After that, I can't figure how I got by without it. I used it for everything. Lots of parts are cheap in aftermarket, some things are never cheap. The drive clutches, front and rear diffs, and other major components can make you choke. (I paid about $650. for a used front differential when my gears blew up.) Tires ain't cheap either but good ones will last a long time when not used on pavement much. I think I paid $500. when I did all four, and yeah, those tires better have similar wear and diameters, that's how I blew the diff out.

Bottom line, think about where you drive, what you are gonna do with it, and what your terrain is. Then pick something that fits your needs. Personally, although I have never owned or driven one, I kind of like the Polaris machines, but have no knowledge about them AT ALL. I just like the power range, ground clearance, and suspension. They work very well for around here.
 Best of luck, let us know how you make out.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Big_eddy

I have one of the original UTVs, a Deere AMT626. I paid $450 for it with a worn out engine. We did a transplant on it with a GX390 clone and never looked back.  I remember my wife asking "why'd you buy THAT!" but now she thinks it's indispensable.  Not pretty, not sexy, but does anything you ask of it.

SwampDonkey

Neighbor had one he was restoring, but life got in the way and no longer had any working income to do stuff. Then he passed away this winter.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Big_eddy

I see them for sale from time to time for $4-$5K. I just shake my head. And still - mine is not for sale  ::)

wbrent

I know there isn't a lot of love for Chinese made stuff, but anyone have any experience with CF Moto?  The new 600 checks all the boxes for me. It seems to review well as far as I can find. The dealer is very close to me. And the price is decent. 

JonathanPace

UTVs are incredibly popular here in New Zealand, both on the farm and in the forests. Just buy a solid, trusted brand. 

CCCLLC

Had a moto dune buggy for my daughter.  Only 150cc but actually  overbilt for that small motor. Quality  good.

memopad

I have a can am defender 6x6. I'm blown away by what it can do every time I have it out. Endless traction. 

I keep meaning to add a powered lift cylinder to the dump bed and make a mini dump truck out of it. 
Vallee Green Monster mill
Case JX65 tractor/loader
Hitachi 35U mini excavator
Stihl 021, 241cm, 361

Walnut Beast

Let's see a picture of the bad boy

Walnut Beast

Whatever unit you get remember they are dangerous! Especially with kids! Just got off the phone about a hydraulic winch I bought that I need to go pick up I won on a bid a couple weeks ago. I had got a email on a family emergency about items to be picked up delay. I had talked to him before in a long good conversation before the tragic news. I'm sure the guy didn't feel like talking to nobody so I kept it short. He lost his son. He was driving their Polaris Ranger had a accident and wasn't wearing a seatbelt and didn't survive. 

barbender

That's horrible...we have a local family whose son was killed in a UTV almost a year ago. Similar circumstances, ino seatbelt, it rolled and the rops got him😢
Too many irons in the fire

memopad

This thing is surprisingly smooth on trails. When one rear tire falls in a hole, the other is still on level ground.

I had to winch out of this mud pit. Working on old skidder trails on my property has been a nightmare. I have a mountain of rock with few areas where you can go between the rocks. So these funnels are where all the water travels, and it's also where they ran equipment to log. I had some ruts 3 feet deep, and when trying to smooth things out I disturbed the soil and it turned to muck. Lesson learned there. Still not sure the best approach to "fix" these roads is. I can't really divert the water, so maybe some pipe or drain tile and then fill on top?

I was able to get most of the framing for my 12x16 cabin the bed of this thing in one go and haul it back to my cabin site. In this picture I'm loading all the material that dumped out of the back of my truck when I got stuck and slid sideways in the snow.
Vallee Green Monster mill
Case JX65 tractor/loader
Hitachi 35U mini excavator
Stihl 021, 241cm, 361

Walnut Beast

Sounds like it's been a workhorse! I have been looking at the 6x6 atv version of your make. I like what I hear about how they perform. I've got a Polaris General 1000 and it's a workhorse but there just isn't enough room in the box part for anything without always being a issue. The room you have in the box would be incredible for sure

SwampDonkey

The Ranger I have won't let you go very fast without a seat belt on. But don't have to be fast for an accident to happen.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Hilltop366

Quote from: wbrent on April 19, 2023, 03:38:31 PM
I know there isn't a lot of love for Chinese made stuff, but anyone have any experience with CF Moto?  The new 600 checks all the boxes for me. It seems to review well as far as I can find. The dealer is very close to me. And the price is decent.
No personal experience but I will tell you that a month ago I stopped by to say hello to the Honda dealer who is an old business acquaintance and we were chatting about sales and I asked him what he does with all the trade-ins as there were only a couple of used machines there, he said he just keeps the newer Hondas that are in very good condition and a used ATV dealer further up the province buys all of the rest that he does not want....... except the CF Motos he won't buy them.

Walnut Beast

That pretty much tells you about the junk no names.... 

Crusarius

Look at mahindra if you want something big. the beds on those machines are very nice!!!

edit, apparently trying to find info on the mahindra UTV's is not easy unless you want a roxor.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 21, 2023, 04:29:10 PM
The Ranger I have won't let you go very fast without a seat belt on. But don't have to be fast for an accident to 
The problem is they sell a by pass plug that will disable that for 20 bucks at the dealers. You could still wear the seat belt. Accidents happen way more than people think 

SwampDonkey

I don't bi-pass safety.  I'm also wondering if insurance will decline your claim on such a vehicle? It leaves an opportunity there for sure.

Ventryjr

I have a kubota rtv 1100 fold down rear seat or 5' power dump bed.  For around the mill it's amazing.  Not a day trip trail machine tho. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Otis1

My Pioneer doesn't have the seat belt speed limiter, but newer ones do. Whatever you go with, I highly recommend getting decent skid plates underneath. I'm on my third set I think. They definitely protect the parts that need protecting and gives a little insurance when going over logs or questionable stuff.

Thank You Sponsors!