iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best floating shelf hardware?

Started by Brad_bb, September 24, 2023, 02:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Wondering what is the best?  Like for 2" thick hardwood shelf, or even 1" thick.

I see this one from Rockler:
Rockler HD
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ljohnsaw

I made a 10/4 cedar mantle for one of my buddy's rentals. I located the studs, drilled a pilot hole an installed a long 3/8" or so lag bolt. Hacksawed the heads off and set the mantle on top. This was installed on an angled wall into the corner. After fine tuning the angle, I marked both sides of the lag bolts on the bottom. Full length of the bolts. With the mantle on it's front edge, I drilled down looking at the marks to gauge the angles and depth. I did use a hammer to fine tune the lag bolt's angles as needed. Slipped it on and friction holds it well.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SwampDonkey

I see similar as Rockler at Lee Valley (made in Canada) . I think rated 100 lb between two posts on 4" wide stock, 50 lb on 8". Each extra post adds 50 or 25 lb respectively. 5" long , 7/16" diameter holes. 1" or thicker stock required.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Daburner87

I bought a somewhat similar hardware set on Amazon for cheap that had 8 pieces which just get drilled to studs and you have to drill a hole in the slab to slide it in.  I used a drill block with a 1/2" bit ti keep movement to a minimum and it worked. I think the kit was $15 shipped.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

tyofwa

We use Sheppard Brackets exclusively.  They are produced in Rigby ID. 
Embarking on a new journey.  Here to learn, grow, and share. 

Logosol M8 sawmill
iDry vacuum kiln
Avid CNC router
...lots of other equipment to support the above :-)

Running a woodworking business in NW Washington. 
www.coastalwood.works

tacks Y

I just made some shelves for a grandson for Christmas. I saw a you tube post she used 1/2" wood dowels. I went the same route. Made the shelves, drilled holes in the back, ripped a 1 1/8" strip off the back, cut dowels 4" and split the on the band saw about 2 3/4" in, glued the uncut end in the strip, screw the strip on the wall and side shelve on. The split in the dowel really helps to slide it on.

I used cherry slabs I had and planned down. Live edge out. Son, daughter in law and grandson all happy. 

jasonb

Brad

I bought the same brackets and will install them today.  I will try to remember to get a photo when I am done.
HM122

Brad_bb

The Rockler is appealing because it has adjustment to make sure the shelf is level.  I've never used them so I have to basis to know if this is solving a problem, or solving a problem that doesn't exist?  I suppose you could shim other non-adjustable brackets if you have sag?  No one here has really said whether they have  this problem or not.  Put a level on the shelf after it's up and see if it's level or does it tip forward?  When you put 25 LB on it does it stay level(the non adjustable brackets)?  If it's mounted over drywall, does the added weight to the shelf cause the drywall to compress at the bottom at all under the bracket?

The type of floating shelves i have in mind are solid Oak 1.5-2"  in thickness.  I've seen other floating shelves built from pine frame work.  That's not what I have in mind.

250 Pound Max - Three Floating Shelf Strength Tests Based on Viewer Comments - YouTube

Interesting cleat
Searching For Better Floating Shelf Hardware - YouTube

Brad_bb

I like that Aluminum French cleat in the video.  I also just watched a video on Sheppard Brackets.  I can see myself using different systems depending on the particular shelf thickness and mounting surface.  I mostly plan to mount solid, live edge shelves  to a drywalled studded wall. 

None of the videos I've watched so far have addressed mounting shelves that are maybe 7/8"  or 1" thick. 

jasonb

I mounted the mantle and the brackets have about 1/8" or 1/4" of deflection when I push down on the front.  They are not as "sturdy" as I would have liked but it was fairly easy to mount and adjust them for a level shelf.  There will never be anything heavy on the mantle so I am not worried in that regard but I would use something different, or in addition to, if I were to have something heavy being displayed on it.

HM122

Oth

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 23, 2024, 12:42:20 AM
I like that Aluminum French cleat in the video.  I also just watched a video on Sheppard Brackets.  I can see myself using different systems depending on the particular shelf thickness and mounting surface.  I mostly plan to mount solid, live edge shelves  to a drywalled studded wall. 

None of the videos I've watched so far have addressed mounting shelves that are maybe 7/8"  or 1" thick.

Bolt Depot - Hanger bolts, Steel plain finish

These are used for newel posts frequently, I've used them for 7/8" floating shelves. I know folks like using epoxy for everything and you can do it that way but I prefer a mechanical attachment. Cut a slot for the nut to line up with the thread hole and plug if needed.

Thank You Sponsors!