iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter's here

Started by johnnyllama, December 12, 2014, 10:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reswire

I can't remember the last time we had a "White Christmas".   It might have been in 1988.  I wouldn't want the 26 inch storm, but a nice 3-4 inch cover would be just fine..... ;D
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

beenthere

Hope you get your white Christmas, wherever that is...  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

@bandmiller,no stiff neck here. The wife's tractor is a hydro. Just turn sideways and go.  ;D And I do have neck trouble,but does not seem to bother. We had another tractor and I looked at a front blower. That looked liked it was made out of sheet metal. That is kinda why I went with a rear one.
This is the other tractor in action.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4x4American

Hey Johnny you're in Tully?  You know the Doody's?  or the Stirners (Thor Lounge, in LaFayette)
Boy, back in my day..

johnnyllama

I know all the Doody's very well, the Otisco brothers, the Doody Bros. Garage of Tully, and most of the rest of them too. I'm actually doing a small trim job up near you this week off Tucker Rd. in Onondaga. Love to check out your mill someday if possible.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

4x4American

Hey sorry I didn't read this til just now, I live over in Lake Luzerne in Warren County, by Lake George.  I have some family/friends out in your area (Fabius, DeRuyter, Sheds, Tully, Otisco, Auburn, LaFayette...) is how I know them.  If you're ever out this way and want to stop in shoot me a message!
Boy, back in my day..

johnnyllama

Sounds good! The wife and I travel over that way every once in a while. What families are you related to? I've lived here my whole life, family been here for 8 generations now. Good chance I know some of them.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

4x4American

Beenthere- that wing setup on your tractor is awesome!  Did you make that yourself?

JL- PM sent

Everyone else- here's a funny video (I think you can watch it if you're a member of facebook or not):
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153076761548934
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

4x4
About 6 years ago, I built it.. first making a wood model and then working up from there to steel.

In this thread, showing the finished wing at post #62 . There is a YT video of the maiden voyage, going real slow. Member Shinnlinger made one that looked worthwhile to try. It has been better than I thought when brainstorming the idea.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,35005.msg588655.html#msg588655
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

I like the ball coupler for the front.  Are you still having a problem with the front edge of the blade finding frozen dirt?  I was thinking maybe if you rounded the edge off a bit it might help, maybe not.  That might not make it in enough to catch the unpushed snow from the front blade.  Are your tires loaded?
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

Actually it is the trailing edge of the wing at the outward tip that would dig in. I remedied that with a short piece of 1½ angle iron bolted on for a show. Works great now.

The leading edge of the wing blade stays about 6" above the ground and is no problem.

A few times I have put the wing on the left side, depending on which way the wind blows. Mostly run it on the right side as that is easier to raise and lower with the 3ph control lever on that side.

Tires are loaded. Am thinking I will just let the sideways slip monitor how much I'm trying to roll over with the wing. Hopefully that will keep me from trying to push too much and break something.
south central Wisconsin

logboy

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

dgdrls

Quote from: johnnyllama on December 14, 2014, 12:27:22 PM
dgdris,
  I see you're pretty close by, only a few miles from us here in Tully. How wide a slab can you cut on the Lucas Mill?

Apologies jllama,  I just spotted this, 

No slabber for the mill,  8" cuts but you don't have to load the logs!!

How are those LLama's enjoying the cold?

Best
DGDrls

rhino135

Maybe it will warm up by the time May comes around at 6 am this morning we have -21 below, hope it warms up soon.

Quebecnewf

We have had a major snow storm pass through here . 158 klm per wind gusts. Loads of snow. 15 houses in the village lost some siding.

Wife looking out through snowed up front door. I got out the basement door by running and taking a flying leap flip out over the snow.

Logging in between storms . 200 cut so far.

Winter , you gotta love it

Quebecnewf

Chuck White

You've got some serious snow there!

You're right ya gotta love it, or you wouldn't be there, same as us here!

Keep warm my friend!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

They don't call it the great white north for nothin!!

You should start selling snow!
Boy, back in my day..

78NHTFY

...we've had some pretty high winds here lately as well, and cold too: - 15 to -20°F, plus wind chill.  Am just glad the roofs are still on the barns & sheds :D :D. Here's a pic from a couple of days ago.  All the best, Rob.

If you have time, you win....

johnnyllama

17 below last night, more snow today. I had to pull more snow off the roof this week as my shop has a 10' cantilever out over the mill area. It was designed for our area snowload but still made me nervous.

DGDrls, llamas are doing ok but I think they've had about enough of this cold. We feed extra grain and alfalfa when it gets this cold. They got a little spoiled a few weeks ago, when Vogue Magazine came up from NYC and used them for a fashion shoot. Got a lot of attention for 2 days and everyone wanted to feed them grain. Now they're world famous, appearing on Vogue.com in both video and still shots. Hopefully, it doesn't go to their head  :D !

http://video.vogue.com/watch/llamas-photo-shoot-pajamas-male-model-garrett-neff

http://www.vogue.com/10453795/llamas-pajamas-photo-shoot-male-model-garrett-neff/

http://www.vogue.com/slideshow/10444563/llama-travel-guide-picnic-camp

sawguy21

Quote from: 4x4American on February 20, 2015, 03:28:46 PM
They don't call it the great white north for nothin!!

You should start selling snow!
He would have a tough time finding markets about now.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kasba

I hate to brag but it was at least 12 degree Celsius today with full sun. I took the dog for a hike in my shorts and t-shirt, sorry to say but snow would be a nice change as the winters here we don't see much snow.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

dustintheblood

Beenthere... I'm tipping my hat to yah!  Great job on the wing!  Excellent work
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

mesquite buckeye

We are buried here too.

These peas are head high. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!