iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood hd36

Started by Patrick NC, September 05, 2020, 03:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

Thinking about getting a hd36 with power feed and power head control. 23 hp with 1 bed extension. If I place the order on Tuesday they can have it to me in 3 weeks. I like the idea of being able to upgrade to hydraulics at any time. Any opinions?
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

WDH

You would be better served and way ahead to just go ahead and get hydraulics now if you are serious about sawing lumber.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

A-z farmer

X2 on the hydraulics 
What is your plans for the lumber and are you getting the trailer package.I saw alone and only for our farm projects during the winter months.
It looks like a nice mill and the best to you-with your decision.

Patrick NC

I know that I need hydraulics as soon as possible, but at this time I have a $15,000 budget. My small Timbery mill is on longer able to keep up with the business I have. I was thinking that the power feed option would be a big help for the time being and as I was able to afford it I would add the hydraulic log dogs , clamp and chain turner. Then maybe later the hydraulic loading arms. I have a skid steer and tractor for handling logs for now. I'm getting the trailer package but most of my sawing will be here. I just like having the option to be mobile. If I could afford to go full hydraulic right now, I would. That's just not where I am at this time. I need a bigger mill to continue building my business and I like the option of being able to upgrade as I can afford it. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

cutterboy

Patrick, I think you have your head on straight. If you could afford hydraulics now that would be great, but if you can't, I think your plan is sound. Good luck with your Norwood mill. I have an old Norwood Lumbermate2000 and have had good luck with it. This is my 20th year sawing with it and it still saws straight and true.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Remle

Patrick, since you asked for opinions..
Old saying " Time is money " IMHO you would be better served to skip the trailer package and invest in the log turner and hydraulic back stops. The more wood you produce per hour will help pay for those items. Every time you stop, walk back and forth resetting the manual back stops and rolling the log over is lost time.

Patrick NC

Thanks for the replies. Any way I configure it I can't afford the hydraulics at this time. The wife says that I can only use the money I earned with my other mill to pay for this one.  So I'm doing my best to upgrade and still keep her happy. What I can afford is a rapid dogging system and manual log rest actuators. That will eliminate reaching over the log or walking around to reset the log rests. It should be a time saver. I feel like if I work hard for the next few months and save my money then I'll be able to start adding the hydraulic options. 

tacks Y

I would look used. Tk 1600 or along those lines. I would not look at a older Wm unless cherry and /or low hours. The Log Master in the for sale area would be a good mill but may be out of budget.  

Durf700

I looked at the norwood HD 36 mills for that reason.  to be able to upgrade down the road.  they have some good videos showing them in action.  I think thats a good plan if you want to work some more and then upgrade that new mill to hydraulic.  I got lucky and fell into my LT 35 hydraulic mill that was 8 months old and I love the hydraulics!  I wouldn't mill without them now.  at least going your route you can have a new mill and with some more hard work upgrade it to hydraulic soon.

good luck, let us know what you decide!

Southside

So you are 45.  How much money will you loose if you throw out your back rolling a big log around? Or smash your hand on a backstop?  You asked for opinions and mine is find a way to make the hydraulics work, skip the trailer package, skip any hobbies you have, sell a toy or two, eat rice and beans, but find a way to move those cants without grabbing a cantdog.  Your wife needs to understand that hydraulics are not just "nice" or "a toy" - they make or break you - literally - in this game.  Sounds like you can do without loader arms for a bit - eventually you will strike the mill with your skid steer and bend something  - but for now you have that covered.  I would look hard at the used market, maybe you can't find the mill you want, but can find the mill you really need. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

fat olde elf

Hey Patrick !!  I would for sure consider a used saw. Sawmill Exchange just posted a 1988 Lt 40 HD. It is their number 19398.  I think this is same model that Magic Man has and their price is $15.000.  Good luck in your efforts. After 59 years of marriage i have many good thoughts. This is my favorite....HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE......
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

tacks Y

Quote from: fat olde elf on September 08, 2020, 12:59:08 AM
Hey Patrick !!  I would for sure consider a used saw. Sawmill Exchange just posted a 1988 Lt 40 HD. It is their number 19398.  I think this is same model that Magic Man has and their price is $15.000.  Good luck in your efforts. After 59 years of marriage i have many good thoughts. This is my favorite....HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE......
This is why I would shy away from an older Wm, 15k for something that was 9k new? I have seen a lot of them over priced (IMO which is worth nothing). Marty from Wm of Pa had one for sale and it seemed reasonable. If I was not cheap I would think about a new Wm just for the resale.

Patrick NC

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Norwood today. I have a buyer lined up for my little Timbery already so that should put me 2/3s of the way to a chain turner, hydraulic clamp and log stops.  If I sell my old Ferguson tractor that might get me there. I have a little time since it will be about 3 weeks before I get the mill and then I have to assemble it. 

Southside

Quote from: tacks Y on September 08, 2020, 11:05:14 AMThis is why I would shy away from an older Wm, 15k for something that was 9k new? I have seen a lot of them over priced (IMO which is worth nothing). Marty from Wm of Pa had one for sale and it seemed reasonable. If I was not cheap I would think about a new Wm just for the resale.

Show me a new WM 40 for $9K...
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tacks Y

Quote from: Southside on September 08, 2020, 03:05:52 PM
Quote from: tacks Y on September 08, 2020, 11:05:14 AMThis is why I would shy away from an older Wm, 15k for something that was 9k new? I have seen a lot of them over priced (IMO which is worth nothing). Marty from Wm of Pa had one for sale and it seemed reasonable. If I was not cheap I would think about a new Wm just for the resale.

Show me a new WM 40 for $9K...
How much were they new in 88?

tacks Y

I put someone on here on to a older Lt 40 local to me. They called Wm and they told them it was an 80s ( I forgot the year) $8400 new is what I was told and they wanted 14k for it. They have made a lot of up grades since then.

tacks Y

Quote from: Patrick NC on September 08, 2020, 02:28:00 PM
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Norwood today. I have a buyer lined up for my little Timbery already so that should put me 2/3s of the way to a chain turner, hydraulic clamp and log stops.  If I sell my old Ferguson tractor that might get me there. I have a little time since it will be about 3 weeks before I get the mill and then I have to assemble it.
Congrats, Hope to see some pictures when up and running. Are you driving up or having it shipped?

cutterboy

Tacks, I think you will be happy with your new mill. Congratulations!
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!