iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl ms290/295

Started by Coot, September 02, 2004, 08:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coot

i have been lookin for a used saw for the past littile while and i got a ms290 ( dunno if its also the 295 as well ) but has anyone run this saw or is it like any stihl you have run one you ran em all  any info would be nice

ps

saw was bought in june 2nd 04

SasquatchMan

Hey Coot.  You'll find that the MS290 has some fans and some detractors.  It's a bit heavy for its power, because it shares a block with bigger saws, the 310 and 390.  Little extra metal in there.  I have one, and I bought it after researching relatively thoroughly.  I really like it for firewood and demo jobs.  

The saw itself is fine, but what really kicks is the Stihl dealer network.  Parts and service easily available.  

I run a .325 RS chain on it, and it pulls no problem.  Max bar for that saw is about 20".

Make sure you crank the oiler adjustment on the bottom of the saw to max.

The official logger's rap on that saw is that it's too heavy for the power, and I guess they're a real bitch to take apart.  Stihl calls the saw a professional saw, but it really isn't quite as good as the pro saws - MS260 and the new MS360/361.   That said, I know a few guys who use em in landscaping, I use mine in (de)construction, and we're all perfectly happy with the saw.  Not the best Stihl saw, but a good saw for the money, seems to be the judgment.  

Good luck with your purchase.  
Senior Member?  That's funny.

DanManofStihl

I had a brand new ms 290 for about a year and a half it was the second saw I owned. I like the chainsaw it always started and I was very proud of that saw I was the first REAL saw I owned I dont count that pulan to be a real saw. Then I was working more and got a ms 440 it is almost the same weight but alot more ccs I then sold the farm boss because their was no point to have a saw that weighed the same but with less power. What type of bar are you going to run it has enough power to pull a 20 inch 3/8s 50 ga on it but nothing more.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Thank You Sponsors!